The 'Back to Gigs Thread' thread

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

Re: The 'Back to Gigs Thread' thread

Postby fat cherry » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:02 am

Speaking of tribute bands, me and Mrs FC went to our local venue to see Limehouse Lizzy, guess what? A thin lizzy tribute. And very good they were too. Not even that much of a lizzy fan (just the one greatest hits album, did have live and dangerous back in the day but that somehow ended up in 90s Mrs fc's collection - I can smile about it now etc etc. But back to the lizzy tribute, worth a viewing if they're on your neighbourhood, and, you know, floats your boat. We get loads and loads of folk around these parts so a bit of rock goes down well.

A note on the etiquette of 'the gig'. There's Mr Tall in front of me, and he keeps chatting to his missus or his mate, so keeps bobbing this way or that, and as irritating as that is you can't hear him because you know, it's a nice loud band. It's not that packed and we're near the back so he's about an arms length or so away from us. But then at some point in the second set (anyone remember those, eh) maybe his legs are aching or something so he's shifting from one weight bearing leg to the other and each time he does that, he moves back a bit. Mrs FCs laughing at me cos I'm getting annoyed and saying, 'I'm not moving, I'm not moving', but several minutes later he's just in front of my nose. But I'm thinking, at which point is it acceptable for me to tap him on the shoulder and suggest he rejoins his mate three feet in front of him. Obviously at the start of his rearward trajectory he might think I'm being unduly possessive of my personal space, but in the end, he's either going to stand on my foot or nut me when he's feeling the beat and waggling his head back ready for a bit of traditional metal dancing. Eventually I did tap him on the shoulder and suggest he stops walking backwards, he gets a bit snarly then realises that's what he's doing and gives my the 'fuck off you silly old goat' look and steps back into line. And yes I can hear you all saying, so the gig was that good eh......., but it was. Tom Robinson on next week, wonder if we'll have to sing cos we're glad to be gay again?
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Voodoo Billy » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:03 am

Been out again!!!!!!!
VB Junior Vol.1 had a spare ticket for Sea Girls at the Academy in Liverpool and kindly invited the old git along. They've got one album which I was pretty familiar with having heard them in the car and liked them so I was quite keen to hear them live. Having finally got a place to park, (and what the actual fuck are they doing with the roads in Liverpool City Centre? It's a bloody mess, is it supposed to be a homage to downtown Aleppo?) and walked up the place was pretty full. Hadn't been to the Academy since the last Bunnymen Christmas show (about 5/6 years ago?), and could have murdered a couple of those little bottles of shitty red wine in a plastic pint glass, but I was driving so I didn't indulge. Anyway, the band were bloody brilliant, singer's got a great voice and the vibe I'd say was The Killers with balls and attitude and some terrific songs (Violet, Ready For More, All I Want To Hear You Say, and the newbie Hometown were the highlights for me). It's a solid album but they were next level live, loved it.

Great to see the youngsters enjoying themselves again as well. It must have been a complete shitfest to have missed out on 18 months of this kind of stuff, particularly for those about 16-25. Yes, I felt a little old, but I didn't give the slightest of shits!

Might see what else is coming up, getting a taste for this again. And thanks to VB Jr for the invite!!!
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Voodoo Billy » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:54 am

Finally, after almost 10 years (I checked Bandcamp last night and saw it was 2012 that I first bought their first two EPs), I managed to catch Public Service Broadcasting live. Loved their first album but hadn't bought any of the others, so I had a listen yesterday and was very impressed. Decided to go last minute as they were playing 20 miles away, in Llandudno (the town where I grew up and surely the Miserable Git's "Costal town that they forgot to close down"?).

Plenty of room to sit (yes, I know, that's why hardly anybody decent plays round these parts because no-one can be arsed to pack their zimmer frames in the back of the old Honda Jazz for a night out). Support from Eena who was very good indeed (must check Ebay to look for the album), of which more later. There was a public service announcement (heh!) asking the assembled 'hordes' not to video the show, which was completely ignored by the Chris Moyles halfway-through-his-diet-period bellend sat in front of me who recorded most of the show. Imagine going to gigs again after almost two years and watching the whole caboodle through a fucking 4 inch screen? Knob.

There was a bit of Bowie, and the band appeared. Five members (including the aforementioned Eena), all dressed in white trousers, shirts, jacket for some. And then the music, well they were absolutely magnificent. There were early favourites including 'Spitfire' and a selection from the second and third albums, along with cuts from the latest album 'Bright Magic' (including the cracking 'Blue Heaven' which could be a Goodison classic if ever we started to play decent footie). Their more recent stuff is more cinematic / krautrock (in a similar vein to Kosmischer Laufer). The stage background was lit with images from public service broadcasts and news reports etc relevant to the performance. Every now and then the five piece were joined by a brass section of three which really added to the sense of occasion, not your usual bunch of boring jazzers, check them out on You Tube, they were lively! They must have played for almost two hours and ended with 'Gagarin' where they were joined on stage (I kid you not!) by two dancing cosmonauts and their early epic 'Everest'.

A superb night out, I absolutely loved it, if you get a chance to see them on this tour I would recommend it.
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:42 am

By sheer, yes sheer, coincidence just been reading about that lot in October's mood, and thinking, sounds interesting, maybe I should look it out. And now I will. I think they recorded some, if not all, in that there Berlin. Said something about wanting to be a bit like Low, I.e., into parts. And you know, the vibe and all that stuff. Might explain the krautrocky thing.
Anyways.........
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:40 pm

Voodoo Billy wrote:(trying to tempt Lady Voodoo to accompany me to JAMC on her birthday but she doesn't sound too keen :lol: )

Just got back from The Jesus and Mary Chain Play Darklands at the Bataclan. (My first outing since Massive Attack in 2019.) It was a cracker. Upstairs for the first time at the Bataclan. They have a whole row with extra legroom. :cool: Lovely to see people dancing in their seats or in the aisles. Jim Reid on form: "This is track 5 on side 2 of the album, or track 10 on the CD if you're a little younger or a fucking MP3 somewhere in the ether." Fewer Brits than usual at the show.

Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Voodoo Billy » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:38 am

Kounelaki wrote:
Voodoo Billy wrote:(trying to tempt Lady Voodoo to accompany me to JAMC on her birthday but she doesn't sound too keen :lol: )

Just got back from The Jesus and Mary Chain Play Darklands at the Bataclan. (My first outing since Massive Attack in 2019.) It was a cracker. Upstairs for the first time at the Bataclan. They have a whole row with extra legroom. :cool: Lovely to see people dancing in their seats or in the aisles. Jim Reid on form: "This is track 5 on side 2 of the album, or track 10 on the CD if you're a little younger or a fucking MP3 somewhere in the ether." Fewer Brits than usual at the show.

Sounds wonderful, I'm so jealous!!!! Glad you enjoyed it Kounelaki! Wonder if they'll ever do Automatic?
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:39 pm

Voodoo Billy wrote:Sounds wonderful, I'm so jealous!!!! Glad you enjoyed it Kounelaki! Wonder if they'll ever do Automatic?

Thanks, VB. A woman with impeccable taste in music films all the gigs I go to.

The Jesus and Mary Chain Full Performance live @ Paris - Bataclan - 05/12/2021
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:11 pm

Cool
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Previous

Return to Gods Will Be Gods