40th Anniversary Ideas

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

What would you prefer

1. Crystal Days 1979 - 2019
No votes
2. A Crystal Day
100%
3. Complete BBC live
No votes

Total votes : 4

40th Anniversary Ideas

Postby crystal89 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:58 pm

So with this year marking the 40th anniversary of Crocodiles being released I was wondering to myself what would be, aside from the tour next year, a few good things that might interest people.

1. A Rarities, B sides and live tracks from singles releases, with all included, sort of like the Join The Dots release from The Cure, as an update to Crystal Days 1979- 2019

2. A complete remaster of the ‘A Crystal Day’ concert with the video remastered as well

3. A complete BBC live recordings album, peel sessions, live in concert, 1997 Kilburn, 1999 improv etc
crystal89

Re: 40th Anniversary Ideas

Postby fat cherry » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:08 pm

So more crap that we've got already then? Hoho, just joshing obv. Out of that lot the crystal day malarkey sounds about right. Don't suppose we're going to get the new album that was rumoured when they brought out the stars moon thing. But I would have to specify that it'd have to be the true return to form we've been wanting since 1986. After my ultra successful dj night last year (double figure audience numbers which actually included people neither I or my missus knew) I did think about doing that again, but you know what intervened......, though tbh that's only the cover story for a severe case of not being arsed. Oh that'd be good, the definitive warts n all biography.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby King Of Kings » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:29 am

No more duplications of duplications for me.

Tired of collecting just because it has the Bunnys name on it.

They were part of my youth and thats the only bunnymen I really like.

Anyway since 1998 they have really been Ian McCulloch and the Bunnymen not Echo
King Of Kings

Postby fat cherry » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:51 pm

Russ the webmasters casting a net for e as rly memorabilia over on Facebook, so somethings afoot. Well a foot, is a foot, ir even 12", but you know what I mean.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Aigburth Drive » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:16 am

How about:

- Video of Sefton Park 82, RAH 83, Crystal Day 84.
- Rockpalast 83
- The full recordings of the Shine So Hard Buxton 81 and Gothenburg 85 concerts
Aigburth Drive
Just Tuned In
Just Tuned In

Postby The Monro » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:38 am

Definitely want A Crystal Day in full but to be honest, anything from ‘79 - ‘85 that we haven’t had already will do. Incidentally, the new Guy Garvey series on Sky Arts - From The Vaults - featured The Bunnymen with Echo in the 1979 episode:

https://www.sky.com/watch/channel/sky-a ... /episode-1

About 22 minutes in - The Teardrops are on straight after and the 1977 episode features Elvis Costello at Eric’s.
The Monro

Postby TenNewPence » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:03 pm

There is a "Bunnymen to the Rescue" article in the latest Mojo Chris Martin and the Hoff amongst others giving the buns some credit.

Not sure I want another copy of Crocs last count I had 5 versions Probably same for HUH and Ocean Rain
TenNewPence

Postby The Monro » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:10 am

Yes, I got that the other day. Not sure where the Les quotes come from.
The Monro

Postby fat cherry » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:08 am

Just read it over the weekend. Seems a mix of old stuff and a couple of two minute interviews. I've heard les say something similar before, haven't read Houghton book but that might be a source. Spends an inordinate amount of page on the mac having balfe by the throat anecdote. About the supposed transformation from minimalist amateurs to the band of crocodiles (hey, a band of crocodiles, there's a thought) "how had these people, with their parochial instincts, primitive social skills and obdurate musical philosophy effected such a transformation." Might sting a bit. Short answer? Got a drummer and practiced constantly for weeks on end. My band at school did that and we were red hot for a couple of gigs in the autumn and then it all went spectacularly tits up. We can smile about it now, as the mancunian one sang. Where was I? Oh yes, a few bits, like balfe writing down song structures because the band would still get in a groove and go on for hours if you let them. Will comes across, as usual as beligerantly antisocial, Mac as the gobshite and high praise for the rythm section. No mention, as is my opinion, lol, that the album is produced by a team with almost zero production experience, as compared to Hanney, lilkywhite etc. Oh and mac still gets a bit of a u2 dig in, though almost of the backhanded variety, that they wrote some good songs, but weren't cool. Anyways.....
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:40 am

Hannett and lillywhite, oh dear, though I think I prefer lilkywhite.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby The Monro » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:45 am

fat cherry wrote:Just read it over the weekend. Seems a mix of old stuff and a couple of two minute interviews. I've heard les say something similar before, haven't read Houghton book but that might be a source. Spends an inordinate amount of page on the mac having balfe by the throat anecdote.

I’m sure the Will quote about the lyrics to Going Up are a straight lift from the book but not sure about the others.
The Monro

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen