New Order

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

Re: New Order

Postby fat cherry » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:37 am

So what with the upcoming BIG birthday spent more than usual on some vinyl - the 'so it goes' tripple. Got it from Mute, with a voucher from NOs instagram, so only 32 quid, oh plus 8 shipping, so only 40 quid. V good it is too, red, green and blue vinyl. Supposedly reimagined versions, lol, though totally recognisable. Lovely booklet with brilliant pictures an essay by Paul Morley I got bored reading after a couple of wordy columns. If I was going to complain, as my Dad always says, lol, the last side (Elegia, Heart and Soul, Behind Closed Doors) are listed as bonus tracks. Why's that then, cos they're pon the CD too. I dunno, because they all sound great, even Mrs FC says she likes it, and she doesn't do that about the Glide stuff I frequently play. Anyways, good stuff.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:34 am

Can't keep up with you Chezza! So it's a live album? NO have been playing "Twenty Four Hours"? Seeing Barney dad dancing to that and whooping would make me want to hang myself in my kitchen.

Hope the upcoming big birthday is a good one.
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:36 am

Apart from Barney's singing you wouldn't know its live really, what with allthat programming and stuff going on. It is good though. His dancing reminds me ofsome awful time they did the jonathon Ross show back in 2000s or so.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:51 am

was recorded at the Manchester International Festival 2017, though I thought it was more recent than that. Wasooking for Barney dancing when they were on the jonathan ross show in the 2000s and came across this

https://lwtua.websitetoolbox.com/post/n ... oss-446240

Sounds like us - though obvs I'm less critical of NO as I think this periods quite good.

Dad dancing alert

fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:02 pm

sorry but you started it, just watched about half an hour of barney dancing
Bit of JD too, but New Order as guitar band, go forth and whoop and holler.....

fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:10 pm

last one, best bits when ana-amusing name fron scissor sisters is singing

fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Fri May 01, 2020 5:58 am

No problem with Barney dancing to dancey New Order songs.

One of my fave guitary NO songs.

Barney ruining She's Lost Control

Twenty Four Hours: Barney vs Hooky

Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Fri May 01, 2020 9:41 am

Oh I see, that 24 hours, get it now. Not on the album, disorder, decades & heart & soul. Yourcomment on the dancing just reminded me of the jonathon ross show where he we doing this kind of running on the spot thing and one thing led to another. I do like it when they go all guitar/bass/drums. I may have said it befgore but when I saw Hooky doing his thing, he didn't play bass most of the time, just left it dangling, with his son playing thwe main parts (not on his bass, that would be silly), but whenever he did pick it up it all suddenly sounded like JD/NO.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Sat May 02, 2020 2:18 pm

Sorry about my reading skills, FC. I could have sworn that Twenty Four Hours was on your list of tracks.

This is another one of my faves.

Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Sun May 24, 2020 7:59 am

Just read Hooky's book, Unknown Pleasures, Inside Joy Division. Like his book on the hacienda (How Not to Run a Club) its in the 'reads like listening to your mate in the pub reminiacing about being in a band' category, only it is very good, laugh out loud in places.
hooky wrote:I saw a program once, a battle of the bands sort of thing. It had Alex James and Lauren Laverne and some twat from a record company, and they'd sit there saying what they thought of the band: 'Your bass player's shit and your image needs work, lose the harmonica player'
All the bands just stood there and took it, saying 'Cheers man, we'll go off and do that.'

I couldn't believe it, I joined a band to tell everyone to fuck off and if someone said to me 'Your inage is shit' I'd have said 'Fuck off nob head', and if someone had said 'Your music is shit' I would have nutted them. That to me is what is lacking in groups [today]

Theres even a chapter from the New Order book stuffed in at the end, in this he runs into Liza Minelli at some studio and says someting daft like Hi Liza with a Zee and she tells him to fuck off and he says

hooky wrote:So things weren't getting any better, all our gear had been stolen and I'd just been told to fuck off by Liza Minelli

I was goinf to start counting the number of fucks per page but there were just too many. You don't often get that in rock star biographies. Thankfully he avoids much prehistory stuff about what his great grandparents did inthe irish potato famine, or on tour shenanigans stories, which were undoubtably hilarious if you were there 40 years ago but lose the laughter track in the telling. Theres even a chapter called 'Oh Fuck, its Steve Harley'
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Mon May 25, 2020 7:28 am

Thanks again for doing the reading for us, FC. The Liza Minelli line is very good.
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:00 pm

New single

fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby TenNewPence » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:02 am

Re Mr FC read Hooky's JD & NO Books. I read both a few years back and enjoyable. Not got round to reading Barney's yet.A few interesting bits about Mac and Lorraine. Oh and Les why the Bass Player in both bands drive the Transit Van
TenNewPence

Postby fat cherry » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:49 pm

fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:08 pm

Just read Stephen Morris's book (so you don't have to!!! yay) about the New Order days - delayed crimbo pressie from one of the steps - apparently I should have had the first instalment too but 'it didn't arrive', not that I'm ungrateful. If anything its saved me from allthe really dull bits about what his grannie did in the war. Obvs I'll want to read that sometime and perhaps I'll out geek myself by reading all three of them side by side just to see what the differences are. Now there's alockdown project......

Anyways it is a jolly read and as it goes on and he gets deeper into the slow/bad times his gentle swipes at his band mates get a bit more direct. There was obviously little sympathy for their problems - v sick child to care for and him and Gillian take a pay cut when recording whichever comeback album it was. So its a good pointer of what its like being in a band with two alpha males waving their cocks around all the time. Towards the end he does list what the problems are like - Bernard hates the way Hooky eats his crisps, Hooky hates the way Bernard spends all his time programming synths when he should be playing and Stephen hates the way Hooky doesn't think his wife contributes anything - except when she leaves to look after their child she's still expected to teach the interloper all the parts - and in their own studio too. And so it goes (I think he uses that phrase alot) Self deprecating to the nth degree, as we scientists say, and full of self doubt but funny in places (though not as funny as Hooky's book, but that's mainly because using the word fuck ten times per page is both big and clever, as we all know......)

Oh one thing, although they're are sill on a weekly wage early on, and later when Factory is swallowing their cash, there still seems to be monet around fro new synthesisers whenever they need one - and one thing you don't always get in a book like these - are photographs of his favourite synths and drum machines theoug the ages. Good stuff.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Gods Will Be Gods