Will the Real Crocodiles Please Stand Up?

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

Will the Real Crocodiles Please Stand Up?

Postby ArtDecade » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:36 pm

As a disclaimer I'm fairly new to EATB, I started listening to them about 3 years ago so my apologies for all of you connoisseurs if this is an obvious question if not at least anal retentive of me. I searched the forums and couldn't find anything relating to it.

I'm mainly wondering what version of Crocodiles is on Spotify. It is where I first listened to this album and have done so many times since so my ear is trained to how the tracks on Spotify sound. I recently purchased the album off Amazon, and there are many differences. The most obvious for me being Villiers Terrace. It is 3:12 long on Spotify while the amazon version I bought is 2:45. I've searched other releases of the song on Amazon and cannot find a track length the same as Spotify's version.

The main differences that I can tell is that the amazon version of VT I bought has some of the "Shake your money" repetitions at the end cut out, in fact the entire ending is a bit condensed. Also it is mixed completely different, the bass seems much more muted throughout and the guitar levels increased.

I even searched on Youtube and all of them matched the Amazon version. My only guess is the album on Spotify is actually a remastered version even though it doesn't say that it is, since I'm assuming the original would be what is on Amazon and what everyone and is posting on Youtube, But even if it is a remastered version that is on Spotify, I can't seem to locate it anywhere else. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Attachments
Spotify.JPG
Spotify Track Listing
Spotify.JPG (77.39 KiB) Viewed 2834 times
ArtDecade
Just Tuned In
Just Tuned In

Re: Will the Real Crocodiles Please Stand Up?

Postby fat cherry » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:58 am

OO, good question. Dunno is the short answer. My vinyl says 2.40, first CD version I bought says 2.44 and the 25th anniversary remaster says 2.45, so its like they're getting longer all the time. I think only the american album release had Do It Clean on it - none of the UK releases I have do, so that'd be my guess. Can't find my box set at the mo. All it tells me is I have too many versions of the same set of four albums. :biggrin:
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby In The Margins » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:33 pm

It's 2:46 on the American release. Maybe it's an extended mix. Surprised it hasn't been released twenty times over...

Find Will on one of his social media things and ask him. I believe he's open to interacting with the fans. Good luck. :biggrin:

Edited for update:

VT on The Peel Sessions is 4:13. Still not the one on Spotify I'm guessing.
In The Margins
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby hieroglyphic city » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:14 pm

The 3:12 Villiers Terrace was first (I think?) released on the "Ballyhoo" compilation in 1997. Probably a "full length" version from the master tape, that was for some reason considered too long and edited down for the original LP release?

"Ballyhoo" also has a slightly longer version of All That Jazz, where it starts off with a few beats of the music before the vocal kicks in. Has that mix appeared since?
hieroglyphic city

Postby hieroglyphic city » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:17 pm

Thinking about it, I wouldn't be surprised if Mac ordered Villiers Terrace to be cut down.. :smile: The missing bit featuring Les's backing vocals on their own, prominently in the mix. For the first and last time?
hieroglyphic city

Postby Aigburth Drive » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:48 am

hieroglyphic city wrote:Thinking about it, I wouldn't be surprised if Mac ordered Villiers Terrace to be cut down.. :smile: The missing bit featuring Les's backing vocals on their own, prominently in the mix. For the first and last time?

Isn't it Les speaking during the middle part of Over the Wall?
Aigburth Drive
Just Tuned In
Just Tuned In

Postby fat cherry » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:45 am

From that Incendiary Mag interview:
http://incendiarymag.com/wordpress/2006 ... on-part-1/

incendiarymag wrote:IN: There’s a poem of yours on the song Over the Wall. How did that come about?
LP: It was one of those things that I did so that people in 20 years time would ask me what it was all about! No; it was different every night… it was just another part of the mystery. To me it’s a very, very hypnotic song, and I could never sing over a bass line. I’ve always had drums and bass in my head, so this is one of those rare opportunities where it’s just a melodic thing, with the rhythmic thing going round and round, where I could actually talk over it and add something. Mac’s going off on a high thing, and I’m doing this poem, so that’s how it developed. I just went up to a mike and did it. The reason I had a mike was that Mac wanted me to do backing vocals, but I was crap at singing, I was too busy concentrating on rhythm. I’m just one of these people that, well – inside my head was just the beats and rhythms going on and conversations didn’t come into it. Well, that might be different if I saw a pretty woman in front of me, but that’s what it was!
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Brucedg » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:22 pm

Cool, thanks for the info :wink:
Brucedg
Just Tuned In
Just Tuned In

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen