Jonny Marr rewrites history .... or does he?

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

Jonny Marr rewrites history .... or does he?

Postby fat cherry » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:38 pm

.... or a lesson in reading a book via the index for the juicy bits

So Mrs FC buys me the JM autobiography for my birthday (a month late I said, but, she said, paperback only got released today so don't be such an ungrateful twat) and I can't resist a peak to see what he says about the famed collaboration. There's only one Ian McCulloch reference and it says something along the ines of "I met a couple from Liverpool who said that the bunnymen were splitting up and [insert compliments about mac] and he was only in Liverpool so it might work etc etc.... so I called their manager but a week later I heard the bunnymen were advertising a new tour/album so that was that.....

So I thought. ah, no album recorded with mac, tapes stolen from a van , no being named on some electrafixion songs, no 'it wasthe lyrics were the problem' and so on. Or file under 'don't want to say anything rude about someone?

So I realised this was quite early in the book, before he'd bet Moz. Sadly dates are far and few between but early on-sh. Suppose I'll have to read the book properly.....

Stay tuned kiddies (yes that's you VB)
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Re: Jonny Marr rewrites history .... or does he?

Postby Voodoo Billy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:14 pm

Yes, get on with it, can't wait for the nexr instalment. Gripping stuff this.
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:36 am

well here it is VB. RElevant stories? The i'll phone mac up to form a band incident was 1983 before the smiths - which gives a measure of what a cocky twat he is/was. No mention at all of the pre-electrafixion tapes. He tells it all in a matter of fact type way he tells things so when it all goes tits up it comes across quite brutal and told as if Mike is the one now runnning the band - though obviously not. Interesting that he admits to not knowing what publishing was. Never criticises moz even though the way he tells it moz is pretty consistent in going behind his back - and like all great rock n roll tales the seeds are set early on for the demize.. He claims several times that the smiths were subversive and I'm thinking, really? Nah. At the top end of the 'old bloke rambling on' school of autobiography and funny in places. I did laugh at some point when he uses the word 'chasm' but only because i couldn't help thinking of that video of a half pissed mac slagging moz off for his pronunciation.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Voodoo Billy » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:46 pm

His previous boss, the third Chuckle Brother, has finally reimbursed me for the money I wasted in petrol and parking for his 6 minute Liverpool gig a few years back. Managed to pick up the limited Queen is Dead vinyls today and Ebayed them for a £26 profit in 25 minutes, thank you Mozzie. :lol:
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:41 am

Word to Mrs FC - you could have waited for the special edition - how flippin much? Though it does inlude a potocopy of a handwritten note from jonny himself. And pictures of the smiths era, in a black envelope, oh joy.

https://johnnymarr.tmstor.es/cart/product.php?id=30681

rest of the 'store' clearly illustrates who (and obv jonny is not the only one, so nothing personal jonny, I know rents have to be paid and suchlike) the target audience for new releases are, i.e., the gullible completist (I'm glad I'm not one - spare ocean rain anyone?) you can have the same record in every format (sometimes twice) for only 70 quid (obv thats separate to yet another copy of the book you already have).
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Voodoo Billy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:50 am

Why the fuck would anyone need a signed plate? :confused:
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:53 am

You've said it now haven't you, someone will actually do that. Egg and chips with Morrissey being revealed bite by bite.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:27 am

this is quite good, tempted to even go out and buy the record..., though not for 70 quid, thankyou..

also

https://www.longlivevinyl.net/johnny-marr-interview/
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:13 pm

Johnny Marr scotches Smiths reunion rumours: 'Nigel Farage on guitar'
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/ ... -on-guitar
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Voodoo Billy » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:07 pm

Kounelaki wrote:Johnny Marr scotches Smiths reunion rumours: 'Nigel Farage on guitar'
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/ ... -on-guitar

I had no idea Johnny Marr was Scottish. :confused:
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Return to Gods Will Be Gods