The Cure

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

Re: The Cure

Postby Kounelaki » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:58 pm

The last Cure album I bought was Disintegration.
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby dodojojo » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:53 am

fat cherry wrote:. Hey, and imagine Mac saying if Les left it wouln't be the bunnymen.

Gallup left the Cure for a spell and I don't recall Smith killing the group. Plus, aren't the two best friends?

Their best album is Disintegration which I was initially disappointed with as I loved Kiss Me3. But Disintegration has aged much better. The last Cure album I bought was Bloodflowers--trying to revive my Cure love, didn't work.
dodojojo

Postby fat cherry » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:29 pm

I thought that about gallup when i read it but not being the cure historian i let it go. I once went out with a woman a couple of times purely because she knew simon gallup was bass player with the cure. Ok, purely because, is pushing it a bit but it was in the 'fors' column. Sadly the 'againsts' column grew exponentially and was not to be. Yes disintigration the last cracker.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:30 pm

Isn't mrs gallup smiths sister?
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby dodojojo » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:16 pm

fat cherry wrote:Isn't mrs gallup smiths sister?

From my teenage fandom memory, Porl Thompson married Robert's sister. Simon was Robert's best man at his wedding.

Hmmm...Simon has weathered the years remarkably well. He was always the best looking fella in the band and I see he's taken good care of himself. I remember back in the 90's wondering if Smith was going to keep with the hair and makeup and being horrified at the prospect of an aging Smith in full Cure mode. Think there should have been a day sometime in the 90's when he woke up one day and decided to chuck all that in. Guess he must have slept in that morning.
dodojojo

Postby fat cherry » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:38 am

Yes Thomo. I think the old bird i mention had met gallup had supposedly had a picture. Perhaps it is the one in which he gets old, and one day she'll turn up on his doorstep. I'm kind of with you on the whole smith look in middle/old age. Praps he just thinks, ah, fuck it. He doesn't mention in that interview when the locals decided they had to get on and invite hime to the village fete. Wonder if he dresses up for local halloween doings.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby dodojojo » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:18 pm

I'm struck by how affectionate the comments are about the Cure and Smith in particular. There were almost a 1,000 comments for the article and many comments conveyed the personal likability of Smith. I think that's one more factor that may explain the gulf in popularity between the Cure and the Bunnymen? Perhaps McCulloch perfected the arm's length ultra cool image all too well. Plus, he couldn't in a thousand years write cuddly songs like Love Cats and Friday in Love like Smith could. They're not my favorites, but I can see how they may be sentimental favorites for the fans who love the all to cute side of the Cure. Which is ironic in a way because Smith could spring some caustic quotes himself and probably indulged just as much in the substances as Mac did/does. But somehow Smith has channeled all that into a mopey but lovable legacy while McCulloch tended to go the spiteful, aggressive route...which I guess isn't quite as endearing.
dodojojo

Postby bunnygirlxx » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:13 am

Saw The Cure last night at Hyde Park, what a show! Just incredible, hats off to Robert Smith, he’s amazing, almost two and a half hours, think it was 30 songs, or there abouts, and only three of those were played when I saw them at Meltdown two weeks ago. All that and he plays guitar, and you can tell he loves every minute! Well, can’t imagine he needs the money! Know some like knocking them on here but they’re touring next year, if you haven’t seen them in recent years and can get a ticket, go, they really are fantastic and you’ll never be short changed!
bunnygirlxx

Postby fat cherry » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:24 am

A chum on FBposted the set list - encores about as long as the standard bunny gig. Good stuff.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby bunnygirlxx » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:47 am

fat cherry wrote:A chum on FBposted the set list - encores about as long as the standard bunny gig. Good stuff.

And the encores are usually longer! There was a curfew, which if it’s still the same as the last time they played there, is pretty strict otherwise I’m sure they would’ve carried on. I understand not everyone is going to like them, but even songs that definitely aren’t my favourites always sound better when they play them live, sign of a great band imo.
bunnygirlxx

Postby dodojojo » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:21 pm

Watching a clip of Just Like Heaven and my god, Smith's voice hasn't changed one iota. That or the Cure crew have really good technology. I don't remember him being a smoker--nicotine that is?

Also great he's still playing guitar live, though he was always a much more advanced guitarist than Ian.
dodojojo

Postby bunnygirlxx » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:47 pm

dodojojo wrote:Watching a clip of Just Like Heaven and my god, Smith's voice hasn't changed one iota. That or the Cure crew have really good technology. I don't remember him being a smoker--nicotine that is?

Also great he's still playing guitar live, though he was always a much more advanced guitarist than Ian.

Agree, it hasn’t. He’s never been given the recognition he deserves for his voice or as a guitarist imo, he did and sometimes still does even with Reeves Gabrels in the band, play lead guitar. I was told years ago by someone who’d worked with him that he can also play all the bass and keyboards in the songs. His younger sister plays piano and I remember reading, probably in the 80’s, that she taught him the basics back then. He obviously loves playing and long may he do so because although I’ve seen them over 60 times both Saturday and Meltdown blew me away. I said previously only 3 songs were repeated from Meltdown, think it was 4...Disintegration, If Only Tonight We Could Sleep, Pictures of You and Boys Don’t Cry. Great to read that he’s also helping younger bands that he believes in.
bunnygirlxx

Postby Happy Death Man » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:19 pm

The Cure were the first band I saw live. Liverpool Royal Court, May 1984. I'm really going to try and catch them next year.
Happy Death Man

Postby Kounelaki » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:09 pm

funny Robert Smith interview
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Re:

Postby fat cherry » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:05 pm

black francis wrote:The lineup should be Robert Smith, Porl Thompson, Simon Gallup and Jason Cooper.

Siouxsie had this to say about Robert's current appearance

"As far as Robert Smith, I mean, darling, really, do you own a mirror?"

http://www.radaronline.com/features/200 ... dgie_1.php

Bit rich........
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Gods Will Be Gods