The Royal Family

Tired of discussing the Bunnymen and all the bands that have been influenced by them? This is the place for you.

The Royal Family

Postby Mr. Brian » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:29 am

I saw the media fawning over the Duchess of Cambridge's baby and now I have to see a Dr because my eyes have permanently rolled into the back of my head...In all seriousness...What is the deal with the British and that Royal Family? It seems like you should have ditched all that by now. Why do you put up with these aristocrats who seem to do nothing but wave for cameras and never work a day in their lives? They don't even serve a function in the government anymore, do they? I see stuff about charity work but they seem to have been on the government dole getting rich for way too long. Just trying to understand ...
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Royal Family

Postby Mr. Brian » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:44 am

Amazing! They cost nearly a half a billion dollars to clothe and feed.
http://home.bt.com/lifestyle/money/mort ... 3982445194

I mean we have the Kardashians but they aren't getting paid by taxpayers
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby fat cherry » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:48 am

Answer - I don't feckin know. But it'd depend who you asked. On one side there's the morrissey faction who'd have em hung drawn and quartered (and that's just for fox hunting) and on the other there's the ones who think they're brill and worth every penny, twice over. I'm not sure my life would change one iddy little bit if they all caught flu and died. Some argue that they bring in millions of tourists every year, and that the cost has been slashed over the last few years - the list of royals who get free dosh is quite short now i think, and others have to get jobs - though they have so much cash floating around they always seem to be heading up some charity bollocks rater than, you know, collecting trolleys at Lidls or taking too long to answer the phone at Kwik-Fit. And yet folks will line the street whenever they turn up - these may well be the people who voted to leave the EC because we wanted blue passports back, only to find that the blue passports would be made by a french firm.
Last edited by fat cherry on Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:56 am

This is the BBC (so not sure you'll be able to see it Mr B) mitchell & webb program about a couple of diplomats in some fictional middle eastern / russian place. Its a kind of black comedy rather than some rib-tickling jolly. You may find it on some cable/interenet channel or something. The opening lines say much of what alot of people think, and the prince character seems obviously to be based on Prince Andrew, Duke of York (not sure he's ever been to York) who apparently does spend alot of time swanning around the world charming jonny foreigner into doing business deals -and drinking, playing golf and, welll there are some well dodgy accusations around here and there if you search for them.

fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:42 am

Funny quote in this bit on the bbc:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43864933

Following a change in the law in 2013, Princess Charlotte keeps her place as fourth in line to the throne.
Previously, younger royal males would have taken precedence over older female siblings.

Yes, the brit royal family have got a kind of a bit of, well if not feminism, a bit of gender equality going on - for all of five years. But obv, her grandad, dad and older bro have to cark it too for it to mean much. Could happen though.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:08 am

I guess I've never heard a compelling reason to continue with the charade other than "it's tradition!" and I'm preaching to the choir a bit here. I suppose support for it will keep waning over the next few genarations. I can't imagine the kids of today have the same reverence for the Queen as they did 50 years ago. It just seems like such a waste of money not to mention the cache of property and wealth they've accumulated over all the years. It will never happen but what if after Elizabeth died they got together, decided to atone for their sins and not to continue the farce, came up with a reasonable settlement of money, divided it up and gave the rest away? Would they be allowed to do that?
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby fat cherry » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:42 am

I doubt it - unless Corbyn gets in but I'd put money on when the next election comes people will return to type, he'll lose and be ditched by his party - even thugh there seems to be a bit of a swing to the left a labour party with any radical ideas has failed to be elected since, well just after the war, and in the 80s they were rejected time and again in favour of fairly hefty right wingers (who contrarywise are supported by loads of the down-trodden working classes). Charlie seems to have ideas about modernising the monarchy but also seems to wish to continue - as does queenie herself. I think she sees the continuation/tradition a good thing after all the divorces inthe 90s. People thought the death of diana a tunring point (and in one way it was, every time someone famouse snuffs it we have ti have an outpouring of public wailing and a-gnashing of teeth). So if there was a bit of a constitutional crisis I'd bet there'd be some lowly royal more than willing to step in and the establishment would welcome that. I think it will change as the next generations appear as does everything, but then again - you'd have to look up the stats, the government (both elected and unkleected mandarin types) is still made up of privately educated nobs, even on the left. We still have an unelected second chamber of apparently zero consequence (the lords to you Mr B) and subsidised public (as in private - don't ask me about the nomenclature) education system that feeds the top universities who then feed the government/civil service. I htink thats the rough view from the left anyways.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby TenNewPence » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:11 am

FC can I refer you to another post where I said it was Treason :rolleyes: I know it was about a Queen Tribute band but I think Treason is still a hanging offence :smile:

Mr B, I tried to avoid the new last night but Mrs Tenpence had to watch. Ironically they showed some American couple who were gushing about how great it was.

I am hoping Private Eye (a UK satirical bi weekly publication) will revert to previous front page headline of Woman Has Baby.

Very sad that this is all over the front pages here whilst the life support of baby Alfie has been switched off. We live in a strange world.
TenNewPence

Postby Mr. Brian » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:11 am

I have no idea why Americans get all caught up in this. I guess it's just celebrity culture.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TenNewPence » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:38 am

Born on St Georges Day, but they can't name him that as his big brother has grabbed that one :wink:
TenNewPence

Postby TenNewPence » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:41 am

fat cherry wrote:This is the BBC (so not sure you'll be able to see it Mr B) mitchell & webb program about a couple of diplomats in some fictional middle eastern / russian place. Its a kind of black comedy rather than some rib-tickling jolly. You may find it on some cable/interenet channel or something. The opening lines say much of what alot of people think, and the prince character seems obviously to be based on Prince Andrew, Duke of York (not sure he's ever been to York) who apparently does spend alot of time swanning around the world charming jonny foreigner into doing business deals -and drinking, playing golf and, welll there are some well dodgy accusations around here and there if you search for them.

There is always the Real Royle Family
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Royle_Family
TenNewPence

Postby fat cherry » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:27 am

TenNewPence wrote:FC can I refer you to another post where I said it was Treason :rolleyes: I know it was about a Queen Tribute band but I think Treason is still a hanging offence :smile:

lols...Well, not wishing to start a war of constitutional words, but I do have wikipedia on my side, so I must be right, yeah? But I beleive the death penalty was finally abolished, even for high treason - yes high treason - as long ago as 1998, so I might be spared. Beheading was long since abolished, as far back as 1973, so unless there are severe brexit changes, then I guess I'll keep the old head. But point taken all the same.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:34 am

Mr. Brian wrote:I have no idea why Americans get all caught up in this. I guess it's just celebrity culture.

Even here that's 's probably true, but hidden behind all that nationalistic bollocks we have - especially in the recent decision to wave tatty bye to our european chums and take back our sovereignty and all that - and that they are in effect a huge distraction as to what's going on around us.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:35 am

TenNewPence wrote:There is always the Real Royle Family
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Royle_Family

Love that program. Queen of Sheba is a real tear jerker.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby TenNewPence » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:37 am

fat cherry wrote:
TenNewPence wrote:FC can I refer you to another post where I said it was Treason :rolleyes: I know it was about a Queen Tribute band but I think Treason is still a hanging offence :smile:

lols...Well, not wishing to start a war of constitutional words, but I do have wikipedia on my side, so I must be right, yeah? But I beleive the death penalty was finally abolished, even for high treason - yes high treason - as long ago as 1998, so I might be spared. Beheading was long since abolished, as far back as 1973, so unless there are severe brexit changes, then I guess I'll keep the old head. But point taken all the same.

FC you have to be spared, this forum would be an even darker place without your wit and wisdom. Keep the old head, No Heads Will Roll
TenNewPence

Next

Return to Over The Wall