The Breeders

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

The Breeders

Postby Kounelaki » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:35 am

The Breeders on kicking drugs, Kurt Cobain and life after Pixies
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/ ... ter-pixies
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Re: The Breeders

Postby Kounelaki » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:09 am

One of the comments

Kim Deal has mentioned a few times in interviews that she doesn’t welcome people rushing to defend her from that mean Black Francis who was always hogging the microphone. In one such interview (the audio is on YT somewhere) she compares such fans to her mother, trying to push her to the front of the stage saying “Why is that man always singing? He should let you have a turn!” As she puts it, she was the bass player in that band, that’s why.

Given that she led her own band to massive success (Pod is widely and rightly regarded as a high watermark of guitar rock around that time, and Last Splash sold 5x as much as the best-selling Pixies album) it’s not like she needs that kind of pity. It’s condescending nonsense.
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:29 pm

Shame the Paris show was sold out.
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:16 am

Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:21 am

Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:06 am

Kim Deal gets a lot of pity points and I've never understood that. I bought the new album and it's just as boring as the latest Pixies album but it's gonna get glowing reviews I bet.
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby fat cherry » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:35 am

black francis wrote:Kim Deal gets a lot of pity points and I've never understood that. I bought the new album and it's just as boring as the latest Pixies album but it's gonna get glowing reviews I bet.

Q gives it 4 stars "feels both dangerous and delicious", glowing enough BF?
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:03 am

Four-star review in the French press, too.
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:37 pm

It's all a soup during the creative years. Like many bands *ahem* Pixies would not have been great without the sum of their parts. Then all the ingredients go off on their own for various reasons. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Eventually, the artists seem to get surrounded by sycophants and that's never good.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby black francis » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:36 am

fat cherry wrote:
black francis wrote:Kim Deal gets a lot of pity points and I've never understood that. I bought the new album and it's just as boring as the latest Pixies album but it's gonna get glowing reviews I bet.

Q gives it 4 stars "feels both dangerous and delicious", glowing enough BF?

:hitmyself:
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby black francis » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:49 am

"what if Pixies frontman Black Francis had acceded to Cobain’s public suggestion that he “allow” Deal to write more songs for the band? The Pixies’ later albums would have been bolstered by the material that Deal used in her side project the Breeders, the band’s internal strife might have pacified, and arguably the most influential rock band of the 80s might have ended up as commercially successful as they were critically acclaimed"

I think Kim Deal is an exceptional talent and has "the gift" in regards to songwriting and her voice is one of my all time favorites. That said it's ridiculous to think all that was missing from the Pixies' commercial success were her songs. Frank Black/Black Francis is one of the all time great songwriters in rock music. The Pixies' commercial problem is they didn't play the game and they were composed two average looking dudes, a chubby, balding frontman and a beautiful girl next door bassist. They were everyday people. There was no hook or image, just the strength of the music. Unfortunately that has never been enough for commercial success.
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby TenNewPence » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:46 am

black francis wrote:"what if Pixies frontman Black Francis had acceded to Cobain’s public suggestion that he “allow” Deal to write more songs for the band? The Pixies’ later albums would have been bolstered by the material that Deal used in her side project the Breeders, the band’s internal strife might have pacified, and arguably the most influential rock band of the 80s might have ended up as commercially successful as they were critically acclaimed"

I think Kim Deal is an exceptional talent and has "the gift" in regards to songwriting and her voice is one of my all time favorites. That said it's ridiculous to think all that was missing from the Pixies' commercial success were her songs. Frank Black/Black Francis is one of the all time great songwriters in rock music. The Pixies' commercial problem is they didn't play the game and they were composed two average looking dudes, a chubby, balding frontman and a beautiful girl next door bassist. They were everyday people. There was no hook or image, just the strength of the music. Unfortunately that has never been enough for commercial success.

Wondering could you substitute the Bunnies for Pixies in the first paragraph and up to "they were composed two average looking dudes"
TenNewPence

Postby Kounelaki » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:18 am

Glad I got a chance to see them on this tour. They look like a band that is having fun. Jim Macpherson is a great drummer. Kim was very chirpy. "We're from Dayton, Ohio, and Josephine, as you can tell, is . . . from Kansas." I was very happy to hear Gigantic but then Madame Fifi (TM GuitarPlayer) spots her friend Monsieur Bourgeois halfway through the song and decides to sit next to him and chat loudly through it and the rest of the encore. Madame Fifi got a bollocking. To her credit, she apologized. They played the beginning of Bela Lugosi's Dead as they were coming on so I got my Bauhaus fix without having to sit/stand through In the Flat Field in its entirety. :razz:

Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Wed May 15, 2019 4:04 am

Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Return to Gods Will Be Gods