RIP David Bowie

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

Re: RIP David Bowie

Postby Mr. Brian » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:48 pm

Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby fat cherry » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:28 am

Kounelaki wrote:David Bowie: What have we learned since his death
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/ ... -his-death

Interesting that in the list of albums reentering the chart, best ofs aside, there's not much after the 70s - wonder if its his teeth wot did it? The program on telly the other night (the last 5 years), was quite good, since I'd largely ignored him since buying lodger in the early 80s.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:40 am

The 90s were not kind to Bowie. I'm Afraid of Americans was good but other than that, meh.
I used to write off the Let's Dance period as a sell out but in hindsight, that track is pretty great and in reality, prior to that he was pretty obscure to most people. He timed it right with MTV and all. I like how Nile Rogers described how Bowie wanted to sound on that record.

When David finally realized what the record should sound like, he came to my apartment one day and he had a picture of Little Richard in a red suit getting into a red Cadillac. And he said to me, "Nile, darling, the record should sound like this!" And he showed me the picture. And I knew exactly — think of how crazy this was — I knew exactly what he meant. He didn't mean he wanted his record to sound like a Little Richard record. He said, "This visual thing is what we want to achieve aurally in every sense of the word." Even though the picture was obviously from the Fifties or the early Sixties, it looked modern. The Cadillac looked like a spaceship, and Little Richard was in this monochromatic outfit which then later on became David Bowie in the yellow monochromatic outfit with the yellow hair.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... e-20160112
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby fat cherry » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:40 pm

He was off my radar by then really and its only a few years ago I started listening again, but looking at the 70s stuff. Lets dance was everywhere when it was out so always reminds me of that time a bit, but I was elsewhere musically. I was tempted by the tin machine stuff but the bits i heard sounded a bit clinical. I htink I've read that he had this idea of being in a band, spent ages telling the rest that it was a band and not his band, and then decided he ddn't like being in a band - or something like that.

Funnily enough I remember not thinking much of Sound and Vision when it was out originally but when I first played it in about 2005ish thought it was brilliant. And curiously enough it was listening to Will Sergeants noodlings got me into all that other kind of doings thats on that album, I'd have hated it at the time (probably, who knows, but highly likely).
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dr Cheese » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:21 am

I lost interest in Bowie after Scary Monsters, didn't like the Let's Dance stuff at the time but don't mind it these days when my teenage (ish :wink: ) angst has matured into middle-aged apathy.

I must admit that having not really listened to him for years I did revisit his stuff after he died and, interestingly to me, although there are quite a few obvious standout tracks I found a lot of it rather dull, pretentious and not a little boring.
And you know that I'll pick up
Every time you call
Just to thank you one more time
Alcohol
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:18 am

Dr Cheese wrote:...my teenage (ish :wink: ) angst has matured into middle-aged apathy.

I can identify. the other day I caught myself realizing that as I age I like McCartney better than Lennon. Consider this my coming out moment.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kounelaki » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:32 am

David Bowie commemorated by Royal Mail stamps
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/ ... royal-mail
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:55 pm

David Bowie on the set of The Man Who Fell to Earth – in pictures
https://www.theguardian.com/film/galler ... n-pictures
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:24 pm

Latest mojo (the one with MAc in) had a big spread on the Lets Dance album, which was quite interesting. Apparently he was on a bit of a downer, not having had any hits lately and even mooted putting the spiders back together - ronson told him to piss off, so then he gets Nile in to make the new record and all is fine and dandy, big hit etc, and then he does his usual and forgets that Nile put the band together, produced it, made it sound funky etc and never mentions him in interviews - though Nile's forgiven him now. I summarise of course.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:09 am

Terry O'Neill on his best Bowie shoots: 'David never needed coaxing'
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... ed-coaxing
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:29 am

fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:54 pm

David Bowie - Klaus Nomi - Man Who Sold the World
SNL, 1979

Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:54 pm

Can't switch on the internet these days without reading some nonesense about old Dave - mostly rehashed bollocks - but then I suppose it might be - but this one made me laugh

https://www.musicradar.com/news/david-b ... eCc0jZv9bw

punchline (for those who can't be arsed)

Filming the shot where Bowie walks up the beach dressed in the distinctive pierrot outfit he wore for the video, an old guy and his dog walked into shot. Everyone's yelling at the old guy, telling him to get out of the way, and he's like, "Screw you, this is my beach".

So Bowie takes a seat next to the director and waits for it all to blow over. Eventually the old guy is walking past the director who says to him, "Do you know who this is?"

The old guy looks Bowie up and down and says, "Of course I do. It's some c*nt in a clown suit."
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:33 am

:lol: :lol:
punchline (for those who can't be arsed)

Thanks. :mrgreen:
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Previous

Return to Gods Will Be Gods