Five Years

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

Postby JackT » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:47 pm

get in the car wrote:Agree with suggestions made by Scouser, Chuck, and Cheese above, so long as penguin suits or other avatar disguises are not worn by any participants (such clothing would probably negate any redeeming value, whether social or purely entertainment, in the footage captured).

Chuck always has great ideas.
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby the ghost of guitarplayer » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:56 pm

You bet. I always follow Chuck's code kind of like a Jew does the ten commandments. He is a wise man.

the ghost of guitarplayer
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby DivaDiana77 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:56 pm

Dr Cheese wrote:Can we have a video of that too please.

That's on the thread where Mac sings "takin' up the arse again" in Begbugs and Ballyhoo. (That was by the way, ONE example of a song origination from someone else's idea. There are others.)
I long for the pork of Porcupine. (A slide show dedicated mostly to Will right here.... http://www.examiner.com/rock-music-in-l ... -here-tour)
DivaDiana77
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:13 am

Voodoo Billy wrote:Is Bowie still a smoker? Seeing how The Divster continually harps on about Mac's smoking and its effect on his voice.
i read somewheer he packed in the ciggies after his heart trouble.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Voodoo Billy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:18 pm

fat cherry wrote:i read somewheer he packed in the ciggies after his heart trouble.

Quitter, some people have no staying power.
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:08 pm

Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby DivaDiana77 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:26 am

Kounelaki wrote:What's on David Bowie's iPod?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2010/ ... n-his-ipod

He listens to some opera, GREAT!!!!

hahahahahahahha!!!
My plan is working!!!!
I long for the pork of Porcupine. (A slide show dedicated mostly to Will right here.... http://www.examiner.com/rock-music-in-l ... -here-tour)
DivaDiana77
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dr Cheese » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:41 pm

Yay, let's have a "What's On Your Ipod" thread.
And you know that I'll pick up
Every time you call
Just to thank you one more time
Alcohol
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Re: Five Years

Postby fat cherry » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:50 pm

Do like resurrecting an old thread. So speaking of five years, just watching a program about Dave, Lou & Iggy, which is at best mildly interesting (I'm obviously getting over this kind of stuff), but they're going on about how ziggy stardust is a concept album about, you know, space, weird stuff blah blah. Now I don't recall this at the time (well I was 12, so maybe it went over my head) or even later, or even later and not till about two years ago when I first heard this. So have I lived in blissful ignorance, or are they making it up now he's been dead a few years?
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Voodoo Billy » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:04 pm

fat cherry wrote:Do like resurrecting an old thread. So speaking of five years, just watching a program about Dave, Lou & Iggy, which is at best mildly interesting (I'm obviously getting over this kind of stuff), but they're going on about how ziggy stardust is a concept album about, you know, space, weird stuff blah blah. Now I don't recall this at the time (well I was 12, so maybe it went over my head) or even later, or even later and not till about two years ago when I first heard this. So have I lived in blissful ignorance, or are they making it up now he's been dead a few years?

Still gutted I didn't pre-order the special vinyl edition of Black Star a week or two before he died. Could have bought Barbados for what it was going for on Ebay a few days later. Ah well.
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:08 pm

I've been working from home for more than a year now so I've been listening to more music and have been trying to listen to whole albums again. I realized that lately I'd been hitting Pandora and YouTube Music, etc but as stations and playlists.

I just listened to the first three Stooges albums and the first two Iggy Pop solo albums. I forgot how great those albums were but I never knew a lot about the details of how they came to be because of David Bowie. Of course I always new about China Girl but I was largely ignorant of how involved Bowie was with especially the first two Iggy solo albums and how they were basically Bowie records with Pop's lyrics. I also never knew Bowie penned Lust For Life which is a great song but it has been played so much and used in adverts to the point where I can't listen to it now.
And I know this is sacrilege but I do prefer The Stooges 1997 mix of Raw Power over Bowie's original version.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Voodoo Billy » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:20 pm

I've been listening to a lot of stuff through Apple music in the car and while it throws some turds into the musical swimming pool, it also suggests some gems I hadn't listened to for years and some beauties I'd never come across before. The former has recently included Patti Smith's 'Kimberley', Reed and Cale's 'Songs for Drella' and Iggy's 'Real Wild One', in the latter some Spacemen 3 I'd never taken the time to listen to previously, Iggy's 'Look Away' (some pretty unpleasant back-story but a song well worth listening to) and Suicide's incredible 'Dream Baby Dream'' which is a song I'm ashamed to say I'd never heard before, but an absolute classic.
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:59 pm

Mr. Brian wrote:I've been working from home for more than a year now so I've been listening to more music and have been trying to listen to whole albums again. I realized that lately I'd been hitting Pandora and YouTube Music, etc but as stations and playlists.

I just listened to the first three Stooges albums and the first two Iggy Pop solo albums. I forgot how great those albums were but I never knew a lot about the details of how they came to be because of David Bowie. Of course I always new about China Girl but I was largely ignorant of how involved Bowie was with especially the first two Iggy solo albums and how they were basically Bowie records with Pop's lyrics. I also never knew Bowie penned Lust For Life which is a great song but it has been played so much and used in adverts to the point where I can't listen to it now.
And I know this is sacrilege but I do prefer The Stooges 1997 mix of Raw Power over Bowie's original version.

Have you seen Jim Jarmusch's Gimme Danger, Mr. Brian?
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:42 pm

Kounelaki wrote:
Have you seen Jim Jarmusch's Gimme Danger, Mr. Brian?

No but it looks like it is available for free via Amazon Prime Video. Thanks! I'll check it out.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby fat cherry » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:32 pm

Mr. Brian wrote:And I know this is sacrilege but I do prefer The Stooges 1997 mix of Raw Power over Bowie's original version.

The program I watched kind of wanted to tell all about everything but could have been cut massively to make a more interesting story, but just before Mrs FC called time they were talking about the Bowie production of the Iggy albums and how nobody involved liked it much. The management company (mainman?) wanted the singers, but not the bands (the old tom parker thing that any old musician will do) so out went the stooges and out went the spiders. Lou was already on his own. Mind you I was flaking by this time so I may have this wrong. So maybe not sacrelege. Not sure any of that makes any sense. I'm deffo losing it.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Gods Will Be Gods