The Obligatory Depeche Mode thread

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

The Obligatory Depeche Mode thread

Postby Scouser » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:27 pm

Depeche Mode have announced the track listing for their eagerly anticipated 12th studio album 'Sounds Of The Universe', released April 20th, on Mute. The release is preceded by their stunning new single ‘Wrong’, out April 6th - the first single to be taken from the album.

'Sounds Of The Universe' marks a reunion between Depeche Mode and Ben Hillier, who previously produced their 2005 album 'Playing The Angel'. Eclectic and energised, the band's new LP was recorded in Santa Barbara and New York.

'Sounds Of The Universe' Track Listing

1. In Chains
2. Hole To Feed
3. Wrong
4. Fragile Tension
5. Little Soul
6. In Sympathy
7. Peace
8. Come Back
9. Spacewalker
10. Perfect
11. Miles Away / The Truth Is
12. Jezebel
13. Corrupt
Last edited by Scouser on Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Brian, I find that offensive.

Scouser's inability to se others' point of view is rather grating.
Scouser
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:28 pm

Sounds great except for the album title.
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby Scouser » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:30 pm

I think the title is OK. Its got a Music For The Masses vibe.

I just know the album is going to be a corker.

Scouser
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:33 pm

cork·er (kôrkr)
n.
1. One that corks bottles, for example.
2. Slang A remarkable or astounding person or thing.

I feel the same way. It seems they're really hitting their post AW stride. I wonder how many if any compositions will be by Gahan.
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby Scouser » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:35 pm

Im pretty sure I read there are three Gahan songs. According to the Fletch interview on the DM site Martin has been his most prolific in years meaning there will be loads of quality b sides as well.

Scouser
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:39 pm

DM's b-sides have been consistently great. I think Sea of Sin and Happiest Girl are total A-material.

I wonder when Fletcher is gonna decide he needs some creative input regarding Depeche Mode. I would have never thought someone could go 25 years in aband without writing a song but there it is.
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby Scouser » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:41 pm

Fletch has a very important job in DM. He switches the drum machine on and off.

Scouser
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:43 pm

Shall we have rock 1 or rock 2?
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby Scouser » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:43 pm

Bossa Nova

Scouser
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:45 pm

Shouldn't we be slagging Peter and the official forum right about now?
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby Scouser » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:47 pm

Thats so last year, get with the times dude.

On a final DM note (for now), I'm so glad Ben Hillier is back in the saddle producing.

Scouser
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:11 pm

I'm going to predict Alan Wilder will produce a new Depeche Mode album in the next five years.
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby Grumpy_Jimbo » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:16 pm

Thought I'd mention my mate is doing the "camera racking" for the world tour, so guess that's my on the guest list for any gigs...... Although my preferred gig is the San Siro in Milan.......

Apparently "racking" is the technical term for making sure the picture you see on the big screens is crystal clear.........

:lol:
Grumpy_Jimbo

Postby black francis » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:29 pm

If he was on the Greatest Hits tour (back in the late 90's early 00's sometime) he did fine work. I was so far back it could have been it could have been anyone twirling the mic stand on stage and I would have been none the wiser. But your buddy (possibly) came through for me on the big screens.
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby withahip » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:10 pm

I am psyched to hear this, even if I don't like it right away. I only came to appreciate Ultra recently and it was like getting a DM album when I finally did.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Next

Return to Gods Will Be Gods