Coldplay's new album

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

Postby withahip » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:04 pm

insanejane wrote:
Poor Coldplay :lol: If they ever come on here, they'll think (at first) that there's 8 pages on the forum devoted to their new release!

Judging from the size of these crowds, I doubt six people bitching about Coldplay on an obscure message board is much of a concern for Martin and the boys. (I really wish I could find the squat walk video.)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8qfhtLi-JI[/youtube]

And more bad news, I am really starting to like the band.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:11 am

fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Scouser » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:03 am

There are a couple of tracks on Livin La Vida Loca I think are OK (I dont know their names). Its compulsory in the UK to hate Coldplay. The US havent had five years of -

a) Chris Martins namedropping
b) Chris Martin being a vegetarian / vegan / into Yoga and ramming down our throats
c) Chris Martin flouncing out of interviews at the mere mention of Gwyneth and baby Apple
d) Calling his baby Apple
e) The bald, stocky drummer and his collection of interesting scarfs
f) The other two that are in all probability holograms
g) Mawkish stadium ballads like Fix You
h) Getting in Eno because everybody else has
i) Lyrics that dont mean anything
j) Clocks
k) Chris Martin being an ambassador for world peace / landmines/ poverty / Oxfam - nothing with that per se but you cant help wonder how genuine it is
l) The fact that, annoyingly, they can write a tune
m) The fact that when they recorded the X&Y album they had a photo of U2 on the wall to inspire them
n) The X&Y album. Impossible to defend.
o) We are British and prefer heroic failiures (the Bunnymen) to people who are sucessful (U2, Coldplay)
p) Gwyneth Paltrow
q) Those plasters Chris Martin wears on his fingers with spell out "peace" or "tofu" or "landmines are bad" depending on his mood
r) When they are interviewed journalists have to sign a contract to not ask certain questions
s) Chris Martin is just so desperate to be liked / admired
t) The fact that Chris Martin recently said "We are the 7th best band on the planet" - either say you are the best or do nothing. Thats what pop stars are for.
u) They are middle class, public school, university educated and dont try to hide it. Thats very honest but I prefer the Joe Strummer approach.
v) Chris Martin in the vid for Do They Know Its Christmas? by Band Aid. Earnest beyond belief.
w) The Scientist
x) The X&Y cover - a blatant New Order rip off
y) The fact that compiling this list was so easy
z) Chris Martin

Give the Yanks a few years of Coldplay and they will be baying for their blood as well. Not that I would ever endorse Jack T (he's a knob jockey) but you've got to admit on music alone they have their moments. However the Coldplay brand (which is what it effectively is) is hideous and evil.
Mr. Brian, I find that offensive.

Scouser's inability to se others' point of view is rather grating.
Scouser
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby tonywojo » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:10 am

Scouser wrote:There are a couple of tracks on Livin La Vida Loca I think are OK (I dont know their names). Its compulsory in the UK to hate Coldplay. The US havent had five years of -

a) Chris Martins namedropping
b) Chris Martin being a vegetarian / vegan / into Yoga and ramming down our throats
c) Chris Martin flouncing out of interviews at the mere mention of Gwyneth and baby Apple
d) Calling his baby Apple
e) The bald, stocky drummer and his collection of interesting scarfs
f) The other two that are in all probability holograms
g) Mawkish stadium ballads like Fix You
h) Getting in Eno because everybody else has
i) Lyrics that dont mean anything
j) Clocks
k) Chris Martin being an ambassador for world peace / landmines/ poverty / Oxfam - nothing with that per se but you cant help wonder how genuine it is
l) The fact that, annoyingly, they can write a tune
m) The fact that when they recorded the X&Y album they had a photo of U2 on the wall to inspire them
n) The X&Y album. Impossible to defend.
o) We are British and prefer heroic failiures (the Bunnymen) to people who are sucessful (U2, Coldplay)
p) Gwyneth Paltrow
q) Those plasters Chris Martin wears on his fingers with spell out "peace" or "tofu" or "landmines are bad" depending on his mood
r) When they are interviewed journalists have to sign a contract to not ask certain questions
s) Chris Martin is just so desperate to be liked / admired
t) The fact that Chris Martin recently said "We are the 7th best band on the planet" - either say you are the best or do nothing. Thats what pop stars are for.
u) They are middle class, public school, university educated and dont try to hide it. Thats very honest but I prefer the Joe Strummer approach.
v) Chris Martin in the vid for Do They Know Its Christmas? by Band Aid. Earnest beyond belief.
w) The Scientist
x) The X&Y cover - a blatant New Order rip off
y) The fact that compiling this list was so easy
z) Chris Martin

Give the Yanks a few years of Coldplay and they will be baying for their blood as well. Not that I would ever endorse Jack T (he's a knob jockey) but you've got to admit on music alone they have their moments. However the Coldplay brand (which is what it effectively is) is hideous and evil.

Spot on - where ya bin?
i sometimes use caps and punctuation for emphasis
tonywojo
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby withahip » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:54 am

Scouser wrote:There are a couple of tracks on Livin La Vida Loca I think are OK (I dont know their names). Its compulsory in the UK to hate Coldplay. The US havent had five years of -

I think this is the reason. :biggrin:

As far as lyrics that mean nothing - look at Mac's Bedbugs . . .and the contract for interviews is standard. Even the Beastie Boys do it.

But a fun read scouser. Nice to see your mysanthropy return.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dave Smith » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:12 am

'Make Trade Fair' on the side of Martin's hand whilst he's at the piano.......'Make Better Fucking Records You Curly Haired C*nt' would be much more appropriate.

Re the US v Uk debate.Failure inspires art.Success inspires excess.
Dave Smith
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby JackT » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:26 am

Dave Smith wrote:Failure inspires art.Success inspires excess.

Your local Chinese restaurant needs to get better fortune cookies.

Mr. Furious: Okay, am I the only one who finds these sayings just a little bit formulaic? "If you want to push something down, you have to pull it up. If you want to go left, you have to go right." It's...
The Sphinx: Your temper is very quick, my friend. But until you learn to master your rage...
Mr. Furious: ...your rage will become your master? That's what you were going to say. Right? Right?
The Sphinx: Not necessarily.
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby withahip » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:51 am

Dave Smith wrote:'Make Trade Fair' on the side of Martin's hand whilst he's at the piano.......'Make Better Fucking Records You Curly Haired C*nt' would be much more appropriate.

Re the US v Uk debate.Failure inspires art.Success inspires excess.

Yet the UK produced Coldplay.

Nothing succeeds like excess.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dr Cheese » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:57 am

Coldplay are shite!
And you know that I'll pick up
Every time you call
Just to thank you one more time
Alcohol
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby guitarplayer on here too » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:05 am

I think this article from the Daily Mail is a good take on Coldplay. I love that "If Coldplay were a virus, they wouldn't be Ebola - the feared tropical disease that boils your insides, but kills its hosts far too rapidly to cause a pandemic. They'd be more like the common cold - absolutely everywhere and annoying when you catch it, but not quite so life threatening that you feel too ill or too embarrassed to stop spreading it round the rest of the office."

Commoncoldplay

guitarplayer on here too

Postby JackT » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:21 am

My parents took me to see that Donald Sutherland Invasion of the Body Snatchers when I was 12.
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby withahip » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:28 am

It is fascinating to see so many folks past their hipster prime get so riled about a band. You folks would do pitchfork.com proud.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby guitarplayer on here too » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:53 pm

withahip wrote:It is fascinating to see so many folks past their hipster prime get so riled about a band. You folks would do pitchfork.com proud.

Well I don't know about you, but I wouldn't consider myself past my "hipster prime" yet. In fact, I bet that I'm younger than quite a few forum posters on here. And I quite liked Coldplay (dare I admit it!) until the dross that was X&Y came out. 18 months to record that shite indeed.
guitarplayer on here too

Postby Red » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:25 pm

Scouser wrote:Give the Yanks a few years of Coldplay and they will be baying for their blood as well.

who needs a few years? i never liked them.

(apart from the song Yellow, when it very first came out)

i really had to laff when Chris Martin was onstage with EATB in manchester 2002 and had to have the lyrics written on his arm.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
pfft!
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby withahip » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:31 pm

guitarplayer on here too wrote: And I quite liked Coldplay (dare I admit it!) .

You may surrender your UK passport at the door.
And I am actually becoming a fan - of the music. I might have to go back to Rush Of Blood
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Gods Will Be Gods