Asia's 25th reunion tour...

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

Postby blinkilite » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:49 am

Red wrote:who is ELP? (i've heard of ELO!) :lol:

all those prog bands sucked, in my opinion. :wink:
Journey used to really get on my nerves! :lol:
and we won't even discuss Rush! :vomit:

yeah i agree. never got into that prog stuff.
journey was good - i believe there was a whole thread about that earlier :wink:

but then i was born in '76, so most of it was before my time. LOL i had the unfortunate early teenage years of hair metal (which i still admit to liking from time to time). :redface:
not just another drop in the ocean
blinkilite

Postby JackT » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:49 am

Frank The Bunny wrote:Actually, I thank groups like Rush, Asia, Genesis, Yes for helping me find the Bunnymen.

When all that shit was all over the radio, that's when I started looking for something different - I started listening to the local college station. Life became much more interesting: Elvis Costello, Talking Heads, Blondie, B-52s then the Bunnymen, U2, Chameleons, Stranglers, Stiff Little Fingers, Icicle Works, Simple Minds.

All hail the mighty Icicle Works.
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby blinkilite » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:52 am

Mr. Brian wrote:There was a time when Yes and Rush and Genesis, etc were off doing their thing and then eventually gained commercial success for whatever reason and are now known for Owner of a Lonely Heart and Ababacab, etc rather than the albums that made them good to begin with.

Owner of a Lonely Heart :lol:

you're right brian - i have never given these bands a chance more than the "latter day stuff" that made them famous, and i didn't like it, so i didn't dig deeper. maybe i should someday. :smile:
not just another drop in the ocean
blinkilite

Postby insanejane » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:23 pm

I remember too, like Mr. Brian, ELP and Yes being popular when I was in high school. I couldn't get into ELP's "Lucky Man", the Moody Blues "Nights In White Satin" or I'd be especially irritated having to listen to "Roundabout" by Yes while driving in someone's car while they were raving over them, mostly because the song to me was SO long ang boring.

I look back now and wonder how I could have replaced that with Alice Cooper and Black Sabbath at the time :eek: but I was only 15/16. I didn't get how anyone could get high and sit around and try and analyze that sappy, "thoughtful" crap?

"The Dark Side of the Moon" on the other hand at that time, was some sappy , thoughtful crap I would gladly get high and sit around listening to.
insanejane

Postby tonywojo » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:50 pm

Gabriel when in Genesis was decent.

In fact he was a genius.

The he found Womad.
tonywojo
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby insanejane » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:34 pm

tonywojo wrote:Gabriel when in Genesis was decent.

In fact he was a genius.

The he found Womad.

Yes Mac, :wink: I agree. I liked Peter Gabriel MUCH better than Phil Collins
insanejane

Postby zabird » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:45 pm

I had a friend in college who was into Yes AND Alice Cooper. Had a mullet and drove a Camaro :eek: He dragged me to a Yes concert once. Fortunately, I ran into another friend in the bathroom before the show and got "gelled." One minute, Rick Wakeman was walking onstage in a cape. Next thing I knew, the show was over. Best way to see Yes :lol:
zabird
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby tonywojo » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:31 am

insanejane wrote:Yes Mac, :wink: I agree. I liked Peter Gabriel MUCH better than Phil Collins

Actually he was the inspiration behing Gods will be Gods - you will also notice that a lot of the earlier stuff like Porcupine and the more dreamier stuff is inspired by Watcher of the Skies.

And I liked his bald era - I might try that one day. It would help me gel with the crowd more.

:mad:
tonywojo
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Seven Seas » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:54 pm

Ha....speaking of Genesis....Just seen a tribute band of theirs called, "Turn it on again". They're from Canada. They played recently at the Keswick Theater in Glenside, PA. I didn't think it would be my cuppa tea @ first yet, they rocked. The Phil Collins impersonator looked & reacted a bit like the real Phil.

Speaking of Journey...Oi....Just got an e-mail from a friend over the weekend that, he's dragging me to a night of 80's reunion "fun" (not fun for me though but, I refuse to be a wet noodle). We're seeing Journey, Cheap Trick & Heart at the Susquehanna Center in Camden NJ. It's this summer, sometime. He couldn't get Radiohead seat tickets so, he "compromised".

Oi, I best be getting out my legwarmers, Aquanet, Simon game & Poprocks for that night...
Seven Seas

Postby tonywojo » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:29 pm

Seven Seas wrote:Ha....Cheap Trick

Great band - Live at Kudokan on Yellow Vinyl!
tonywojo
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Fish Hook Girl » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:40 pm

tonywojo wrote:Great band - Live at Kudokan on Yellow Vinyl!

You mean, Live at Budokan, right? :wink:

Sounds like a good time, Seven Seas. I think the Wilson sisters (Heart) can still belt out their songs and put on a good show. Don't know about Journey, though. I couldn't stand them the first time around.
Fish Hook Girl

Postby JackT » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:49 pm

Fish Hook Girl wrote: I think the Wilson sisters (Heart) can still belt out their songs and put on a good show.

Always loved them.
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Seven Seas » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:12 pm

Fish Hook Girl wrote:You mean, Live at Budokan, right? :wink:

Sounds like a good time, Seven Seas. I think the Wilson sisters (Heart) can still belt out their songs and put on a good show. Don't know about Journey, though. I couldn't stand them the first time around.

Thank you, I appreciate that.

I will admit that I do have a Journey's Greatest Hits CD in my record library (hangs head in shame apart from literally everything else too, from the past).....
Seven Seas

Postby Fish Hook Girl » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:16 pm

Seven Seas wrote:I will admit that I do have a Journey's Greatest Hits CD in my record library (hangs head in shame apart from literally everything else too, from the past).....

That's okay. There's some Billy Squire :eek: songs that I like to crank up high while driving. Everyone has their musical dirty little secrets!
Fish Hook Girl

Postby Seven Seas » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:17 pm

Fish Hook Girl wrote:That's okay. There's some Billy Squire :eek: songs that I like to crank up high while driving. Everyone has their musical dirty little secrets!

Billy Squire!!! You just can't beat, "Everybody Wants You" & the infamous "Stroke"...:)
Seven Seas

PreviousNext

Return to Gods Will Be Gods