Asia's 25th reunion tour...

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

Asia's 25th reunion tour...

Postby Seven Seas » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:51 pm

Hey,

I KNOW for a fact (just think back to past posts/last summer's close-down) that I'm not cool here or at the official forum.

Yet, for people that might be interested though, last night, I saw Asia reunited for their 25th anniversary tour. It was held at a Scottish Rite Auditorium. Very classy place & really "cool" in the sense that, the gothic/spacey architechture was highly "appropriate" for this event.

I never really knew or enjoyed this band's music in the past, not my "thing" so-to-speak but, I must tell whomever's interested here this one thing...GO.

They played my favorite song of theirs, "Only Time Will Tell" and it was just Awesome... They went deep too, w/ Steve & Carl doing solos, respectively.

They have a new album out but, didn't pump-it-up-for-sales too much. :)

Finally, their rendition of "Video Killed the Radio Star" complete w/ multi-coloured polka dot lights was just the best.

Has anyone here ever seen them live in their heydays? What were your experiences like? I bought the new CD btw, to add to my music library. They had a meet & greet afterwards but, due to having to be @ work so early & being left in charge today of the unit, that didn't happen---shame.

So, any fans?
Seven Seas

Re: Asia's 25th reunion tour...

Postby Red » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:52 pm

Seven Seas wrote:Has anyone here ever seen them live in their heydays?

i don't think i would ever admit it if i did! :lol:

;-)
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:59 pm

If a band is named after a geographic location, chances are, they suck
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ballywho? » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:22 pm

What did they sing? I think I should remember back to my 6th form days but i seem to recall they were a "heavy rock" band and not my cup of tea ??
ballywho?

Postby JackT » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:41 pm

Mr. Brian wrote:If a band is named after a geographic location, chances are, they suck

If Boston or Kansas is on that list I'm coming over there and kicking your a*s.
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:27 pm

ballywho? wrote:What did they sing? I think I should remember back to my 6th form days but i seem to recall they were a "heavy rock" band and not my cup of tea ??

Asia was a band that was formed from former members of The Buggles (Video Killed The Radio Star), Yes, King Crimson, ELP and some other progressive bands. They were kind of a pop prog band had a whole string of hits in 1982 like "Heat Of the Moment", "Sole Survivor", "Only Time Will Tell" and others. They were very very popular when I went to high school but many of us that liked bands such as Yes and ELP were just mortified when we heard Asia.

This may refresh your memory...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmx0b1XttS0[/youtube]
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JackT » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:14 pm

Mr. Brian wrote:They were very very popular when I went to high school but many of us that liked bands such as Yes and ELP were just mortified when we heard Asia.

They were no Toto, that's for sure.
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby kook » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:23 am

Mr. Brian wrote: many of us that liked bands such as Yes and ELP were just mortified when we heard Asia.

Yes were not mortifying enough? :eek:
Every word is like an unnecessary stain on silence and nothingness.
kook
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dr Cheese » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:26 am

ELP??? I remember my mate buying Love Beach - he was suitably embarassed upon discovering it to be the worst record in the history of mankind.
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:05 am

Well not everything Yes and ELP did were gems, thats for sure. The point was that these great musicians who who could write these near classical scores were now putting out 3 minute pop drivel for the masses suitable for proms. We felt sold out I guess.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Red » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:26 am

who is ELP? (i've heard of ELO!) :lol:

all those prog bands sucked, in my opinion. :wink:
Journey used to really get on my nerves! :lol:
and we won't even discuss Rush! :vomit:
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Frank The Bunny » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:39 am

Red wrote:who is ELP? (i've heard of ELO!) :lol:

all those prog bands sucked, in my opinion. :wink:
Journey used to really get on my nerves! :lol:
and we won't even discuss Rush! :vomit:

Emerson, Lake & Palmer:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerson,_Lake_&_Palmer
Frank The Bunny
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Red » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:42 am

Frank The Bunny wrote:Emerson, Lake & Palmer:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerson,_Lake_&_Palmer

sorry i asked! :lol:
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Frank The Bunny » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:53 am

Red wrote:sorry i asked! :lol:

Actually, I thank groups like Rush, Asia, Genesis, Yes for helping me find the Bunnymen.

When all that shit was all over the radio, that's when I started looking for something different - I started listening to the local college station. Life became much more interesting: Elvis Costello, Talking Heads, Blondie, B-52s then the Bunnymen, U2, Chameleons, Stranglers, Stiff Little Fingers, Icicle Works, Simple Minds.
Frank The Bunny
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:59 am

Let's not confuse the latter day Genesis stuff with the earlier work like FoxTrot (Will is a fan BTW). It was a whole different band before Phil Collins took it over, you know the stuff NOT played on the radio.

When you mention the Bunnymen nowadays people will go oh...Lips Like Sugar or Bring On the Dancing Horses...we know there is more to it than that. It's the same with those bands. There was a time when Yes and Rush and Genesis, etc were off doing their thing and then eventually gained commercial success for whatever reason and are now known for Owner of a Lonely Heart and Ababacab, etc rather than the albums that made them good to begin with.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Gods Will Be Gods