The Kooks are shit aren't they?

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

Postby fat cherry » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:42 am

i was thinking of dirty pretty (oo aren#t we outrageous) things. Saw hard fi once on my way to the bar.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby tonywojo » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:31 am

fat cherry wrote:i was thinking of dirty pretty (oo aren#t we outrageous) things. Saw hard fi once on my way to the bar.

Hard fi comes from something Mick Jones said about the clash once. They are such a blatant rip off.

I have no comment on Dirty Pretty Thingd.

The Editors End Has a Start video is great still - would be better without the music!
tonywojo
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby guitarplayer on here too » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:23 pm

I don't know. I thought the Stereophonics Language. Sex. Violence. Other? album was pretty good. Pretty good change of sound for what had been a complete load of tosh previously. Hard "We are a bad Clash and Big Audio Dynamite rip-off" Fi. Terrible band. Editors... hmm. I liked their first album, but the second one was pretty disappointing. Then I recently went to see them play live and any liking of their music quickly diminished. Now I can't stand them. That brings another topic up. Has anyone else liked a band, then seen them live and come out thinking, what a load of pretentious bollocks, I won't be buying their records again?
guitarplayer on here too

Postby Kounelaki » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:44 am

guitarplayer on here too wrote:Has anyone else liked a band, then seen them live and come out thinking, what a load of pretentious bollocks, I won't be buying their records again?

Editors -- I wanted to slap Tom Smith by the end of the show.
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby guitarplayer on here too » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:24 am

Yeah I wanted to slap (maybe punch would be more fitting) him as well. Actually, I felt like slapping a lot of the audience as well, especially the ones that seemed to want to tell everyone that the Editors' music is the best thing since sliced bread. Those ones that dance like they are on drugs and sing every song word by word, and then clap and whistle too enthusiastically. Even some of them I have seen at Bunnymen gigs seemed pretty lame compared to some at that gig. I never get people like that. It's like yeah you like the band, I like them, but do you have to really behave like an obsessive idiot. The worst one was when I went to see Regina Spektor play recently. It was a pretty dull concert and some idiot kept shouting out "Brilliant" or "Bravo" after every song. This was not the Proms at the RAH.
guitarplayer on here too

Postby kook » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:34 am

Tom Smith seems to have had that effect on many people of late. When I saw them he was fine but this must have been before they got too full of themselves.
The second album is awful.
Every word is like an unnecessary stain on silence and nothingness.
kook
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dave Smith » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:37 am

Editors second album is woeful.Only three songs that are listenable and why an able-bodied person dances like a cross between Joey Deakin and Stephen Hawking is beyond me.
Dave Smith
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby tonywojo » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:20 am

Dave Smith wrote:Editors second album is woeful.Only three songs that are listenable and why an able-bodied person dances like a cross between Joey Deakin and Stephen Hawking is beyond me.

There was a review of Kooks new album in Evening Standard last night by one certain David Smyth - made me chuckle - said they were trying to agressive but can't carry it out. :surprised:
tonywojo
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby guitarplayer on here too » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:56 am

Gawd, dancing both like Joey Deacon and Stephen Hawking. What a horrible thought. Only difference between dancing in a separate manner is that dancing like both means that Tom Smith sings like he is using an electronic voice synthesizer. Slow robotic voice.... "Someone hit the light, cause there's more here to be seen, When you caught my eye, I saw everywhere I'd been, And what I go to..."

guitarplayer on here too

Postby Kounelaki » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:04 am

To convey the full horror, I'd have to find a photo of him climbing on top of the piano.
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby guitarplayer on here too » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:17 am

I couldn't find anything on the piano climbing, but there is an abundance of retardy type poses:

guitarplayer on here too

Postby Kounelaki » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:59 am

Found some. The horror, the horror!

Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dave Smith » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:40 am

Dear oh dear.Music for Tesco's shifting £6.99 stick it next to the bananas banality.Have a band ever gone downhill so quickly before?The Kooks were never up there but their fat guitarist who dresses like a pillock is on par with Smith on a piano.
Dave Smith
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby kook » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:41 pm

Oh gawd! Plonker alert :eek:

Gladly haven't been exposed to the Kooks.
Every word is like an unnecessary stain on silence and nothingness.
kook
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby ballywho? » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:28 pm

Its that thing that seems to be happening lately - so called "Indie/Alternative" bands that so aren't indie/alternative but are so blatantly "pop ", but the kids love 'em and think thery're cool!
ballywho?

PreviousNext

Return to Gods Will Be Gods