Guillemots - how many bad reviews can one album get?

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

Guillemots - how many bad reviews can one album get?

Postby Scouser » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:53 am

Just read yet another scathing review of the new Guillemots album (Red), this time from The Guardian. Every review I've read slates them totally yet I think the new single is fantastic!!!! Am I going mad? Deaf?

Its out on Monday and I am interested to hear if its as bad as the critics all make out!
Mr. Brian, I find that offensive.

Scouser's inability to se others' point of view is rather grating.
Scouser
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dave Smith » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:36 pm

I quite like the new single!Not bad for the Gary Wilmots at all.
Dave Smith
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Scouser » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:37 am

I more confused than ever...theres nothing wrong with it, I cant see why its been lambasted so much. Its not that different to the debut (that had rave reviews) - just abit more upbeat and poppy.

I think the critics have decided - "we are not going to like them, we are going to like Foals"

Scouser
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dave Smith » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:58 am

I cant believe how the press have again turned on a band releasing their second album cf Futureheads,Hope of the States,Maximo Park...etc.
In a world currently overrrun with shit sixties-sounding female singers(Duffy-ffs.) and noncies from Oxford (Foals),the GTS try and do something original and get panned.Music journo's generally=twats,a view compounded by a mate from school who went particularly strange then turned up as a freelance writing for Uncut magazine.

re Foals........I tipped them for success but because of the media hype(Buzzcocks appearance,NME front cover after two singles) I'm just sick of that lead singer.Bearing in mind every song sounds the same and they are a bunch of middle class toffs from Oxford who talk bollocks,I'll give them a miss.Bad marketing.Good marketing would have been for me to find this out after I'd bought the album.

The Nico fuelled electro-pop of The Ting Tings is my next tip.
Dave Smith
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Scouser » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:48 am

Your next tip and everbody elses - I'm bored of reading about them already. Two page spread in The Observer after ONE single!

Scouser
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dave Smith » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:25 pm

Good article in the (I think) Independent by (I think)Simon Price (Prodigy hair,queer bloke)basically saying the same thing.Because of a total lack of originality these bands are being thrust upon the public based upon one or two singles and you're fed up of them immediately because the attention hasnt been earnt.But is that not what pop is about these days?The quick 79p download chart?Companies dont want the investment and debt in pushing bands for a ten year career and the bands are eventually picked off one by one.

Sad but true."And the drums,the drums,the drums".Funny how they being compared with the VU & Nico when me and my mates all think most of the Nico songs are shite.
Dave Smith
Über Fan
Über Fan

Return to Gods Will Be Gods