The business behind the current glut of music books

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

The business behind the current glut of music books

Postby Kounelaki » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:29 am

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2022/ ... rsity-rock

It’s also indicative of who is behind the scenes: it can feel as though the vast majority of music publishing seems to be middle-aged white blokes, writing about the youthful adventures of other middle-aged white blokes, for the reading delectation of other middle-aged white blokes
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Re: The business behind the current glut of music books

Postby fat cherry » Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:43 am

oh dear, yikes, though I'm probably not going to read a book about middle aged rappers - but perhaps I should, The Guardian's writing I have found since subscribing to their app is a bit formulaic too.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby TenNewPence » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:42 am

Saw something last week about the average author earns £7k pa. I wonder if the publishing and maybe arts are just cherry picking. Seeing authors (sic) like Richard Osman, Bob Mortimer and other celebs becoming best sellers over the genuine authors ? Maybe it's time for that famous lead singer of cult 80's Liverpool band to get his fountain pen out and start writing.
TenNewPence

Postby fat cherry » Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:30 am

I think being a celeb will get your first book sold well but if its shite it can't be long lasting, can it? A bit like Julian Lennon's recording career. Osmans on his thrid or fourth now isn't he. Missis FC read the first and said it was v good - and she doesn't give compliments away - I know, lol.

Also I noticed when I read that article, about three of the recommended books are by Guardian writers.Who presumably get a free pass from not being minority writers.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:12 am

The author of the article describes himself as a middle-class, etc.
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Return to Gods Will Be Gods