Graham Coxon

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

Graham Coxon

Postby fat cherry » Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:43 am

This book looks like a good one, despite this reviewers love of using 125 words when 5 or 6 would do the job.

https://louderthanwar.com/verse-chorus- ... ok-review/

the reviewer wrote: But it’s also a guidebook about addiction that uses the gutted stomach of love as the desired ink – the plectrum as Coxon’s quill throughout that anchors him to some kind of reality even though it was melting around him in the form of a bottle. From pits of crippling anxiety when his future forced his present self to freeze, from coffee and tv and the British symptom where the insatiable taste of a boy band was too good for the fierce, frantic, squealing teams of ravenous, rabbiting media manipulators to miss. The time when the Sun equated to the NME – it was tabloid, it was too good to be true, it was exciting, enticing, it was front page, it was everywhere and utterly inexorable in their power to push buttons, to pull strings, to create a moral panic, to invent handsome folk devils, to design poster girls who want boys who like boys to be girls.

And if you think that's up his u-bend you need to read his morrissey review.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Re: Graham Coxon

Postby Stuart » Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:58 am

I'm just reading Miki Berenyi's book. I'd forgot that Blur was initially bracketed with the early shoegazing scene.
It wouldn't work if Mac was a slaphead would it.
Stuart

Postby fat cherry » Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:55 am

Read a good review of that one. Jon harris's britpop (the last party?) is quite a good one in terms of putting all the music agauinst the political background, of the 90s. There was a Rock Family Trees opn the telly the other week about britpop - though seemed to concentrate on elastica, with brief mentions of whoever justine was going out with. Did Lauren Laverne write one? Or was it someone else. Damon Albarn never seems to come out well.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:38 am

Stuart wrote:I'm just reading Miki Berenyi's book.

How are you liking it, Stuart?
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Stuart » Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:35 pm

Kounelaki wrote:
Stuart wrote:I'm just reading Miki Berenyi's book.

How are you liking it, Stuart?

Absolutely top class read.
It wouldn't work if Mac was a slaphead would it.
Stuart

Return to Gods Will Be Gods