The 'Back to Gigs Thread' thread

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

The 'Back to Gigs Thread' thread

Postby Voodoo Billy » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:43 pm

Okay, so here's a 'Back to Gigs' thread for when we decide to venture out from our bunkers and experience those wonderful live performances once again.
Enjoy one and all!
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Re: The 'Back to Gigs Thread' thread

Postby Kounelaki » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:50 am

Thanks, VB. :smile:
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Voodoo Billy » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:29 am

John Grant at the Grand Central Hall, Liverpool last Saturday and he was fab. Never seen him live before and it was my first gig back since Toy in Feb 2020. Bit weird being inside with so many others if truth be told but it was wonderful to see so many people having a good time.

John Grant was great, I didn't realise he was such a groover, he's got some serious moves (especially during the more techno style songs - is that even a thing or am I showing my age?). A good mix of well known and never songs, his lyrics are razor-sharp and he had the audience in the palm of his hand.

I haven't mentioned it on here before, but I had some real struggles a few years back, my job was changed which didn't suit me and it fucked my head big-time. I read a lot (way too much!!!) about how to deal with stuff, and read somewhere that it's good to have a go-to song when you feel like shit, though it's not the only thing that helped me through *. I thought I'd found a few along the way, (The Killers' 'Smile Like You Mean It' and To Kill a King's 'Compare Scars' spring to mind among others) but nothing quite did it. Anyway, I was watching 'Brassic' on TV a couple of years back (series 1 - the second one's turd) and up popped this song and it was like being hit with a hammer. It was GMF and it was magical, and it has been ever since. I never thought at 52 that I'd stand in a room with about a thousand others and sing a song but I did on Saturday and it was life-affirming.

That's enough bollocks from me.

* You beautiful VT'ers (among other things) also helped greatly, thank you. Phew, never thought I'd share that. :party-dance: :party-dance:
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:30 am

Thanks for the review, VB.

You have also helped greatly. We (non-royal) love your comedic crap. :-)
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:57 pm

Hey VB, good share. I also appreciate you not taking my meanderings too seriously. Group hugs, huh.
Funny moment at the New Order gig. Now I was looking forward to it but hadnt sat at home during lock down pining for gigs and entertainment, or so I thought. About three or four songs in they did ceremony and the massive roar that went up was well, massive, bigger that the start or for the other songs, and I thought, no you old fool, you have missed this. Great stuff. I don't have a particular song, but if I'm on a downer either a bit of JD or HUH kind of sets me on journey.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby MightyWhyte » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:18 pm

Nice write up VB and you don't stand alone mate.

The last gig I went to was when all this shite began in March 2020 Moz in Leeds, my first one since is on Monday at Leeds Stylus to see Mr Marr. Feel a little apprehensive not because of Johnny's dodgy posing but of all the peeps there :eek: but hey ho its got to begin again somewhere :cool:

Hope you all stay safe as you can
BunnyGod Pin needed :sad:
MightyWhyte

Postby Kounelaki » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:38 pm

We can all pretend we were at the gig with FC.

Enjoy Mr Marr, MightyWhyte.
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:02 pm

Oh yes, me and mrs FC were on the other side of the stage but about the same distance. I wonder if Gillian has taken up Mr Grumpy's position stage right (or is it left - but as yo can see from that clip) just to annoy him?
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby crystal daze » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:10 pm

Voodoo Billy wrote:
* You beautiful VT'ers (among other things) also helped greatly, thank you. Phew, never thought I'd share that. :party-dance: :party-dance:

The beautiful VT'ers have also unknowingly helped me through various ups and downs, life and relationship changes, health traumas and more.
Cheers to y'all :cheers:
There's times when I've been deeply indifferent
crystal daze

Postby Voodoo Billy » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:01 am

crystal daze wrote:
Voodoo Billy wrote:

The beautiful VT'ers have also unknowingly helped me through various ups and downs, life and relationship changes, health traumas and more.
Cheers to y'all :cheers:

You too CD. Yes, I think we need to acknowledge that we're a pretty fucking awesome bunch of dudes and dudettes and, quite possibly, the finest product of the whole Bunnymen story. To us :cheers:
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:46 am

Word!
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby MightyWhyte » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:43 am

Just a quick babble of last nights Marr gig at Stylus Leeds. Went with the missus my boy and his partner and of course my Betty who's ten. Saw the Furs there before lockdown so knew the layout and found a nice spot so we could all see and enjoy whilst keeping an eye on the kids. In a word Brilliant recommend the venue its tiny and safe. Johnny was on top form played a full and well balanced set especially as it was a warm up gig. :cool: :cool:

Hideaway Girl
Panic
Spirit Power and Soul
Tenet Time
New Town Velocity
Rubicon
Night and Day
Get the Message
Getting Away With It
The Headmaster Ritual
Sensory Street
This Charming Man
Walk Into the Sea
Hi Hello
How Soon Is Now?
Armatopia
There Is a Light That Never Goes Out
Easy Money
Encore:
Counter Clock
Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others
Bigmouth Strikes Again
MightyWhyte

Postby Kounelaki » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:34 pm

Thanks for the review, MW.
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Voodoo Billy » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:47 pm

Thanks MW, sure it felt great to be back, nice sprinkling of Smiths songs in there as well. Did I ever share my Morrissey story on here? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Did think of going to see The Primitives last week but my son had tickets to see Vistas in Manchester a couple of nights later and invited me to go with him (couldn't go in the end as he got pinged!). It's nice to have the option to go now though (trying to tempt Lady Voodoo to accompany me to JAMC on her birthday but she doesn't sound too keen :lol: )
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby MightyWhyte » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:03 pm

Voodoo Billy wrote:Thanks MW, sure it felt great to be back, nice sprinkling of Smiths songs in there as well. Did I ever share my Morrissey story on here? :lol: :lol: :

Cheers VB it was great to be at a gig again, felt a bit old :biggrin: but fitted in with 50% of the audience so wasn't too bad.

Not heard the Moz tale, do tell :cool:
MightyWhyte

Next

Return to Gods Will Be Gods