Closet cleaning - Bunnymen items/rarities

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

Re: Closet cleaning - Bunnymen items/rarities

Postby TenNewPence » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:25 am

Voodoo Billy wrote:
fat cherry wrote:
Psychedelicfur wrote: The art also won’t hold its value in later years for a bunch of reasons so this was the perfect time to get rid of it. I have some paintings that can go at a later date as well.

Lucky you're saying that on a forum with only four people on it :-) I bought the set of postcards when they came out which are somewhere in a drawer. Mrs FC doesn't blink at paying loads for bits of art (I'm a bit 'how bloody much?) but none of this stuff was her bag. Don't mind a few stripes myself.

I bought Will's original 'Caligula' and 'Chocolate Orange' from the first Penny Lane exhibition. Like Psychedelicfur mentioned, I doubt they're worth any more now than when I bought them but I like them as paintings not just that they were painted by Will. I do like the odd bit of art but having worked in a gallery / museum for over a decade am well aware of the bullshit, arse-licking and pretentiousness involved on all sides, that plus the fact that a very large proportion of the work exhibited was absolute bollocks, but there were a few (and probably unsurprisingly, from the least pretentious and self-obsessed of the 'artists') very talented individuals which stood out a bloody mile from the rest of the dirge.

Tend to agree there on the absolute bollocks. There was something in Manchester Art Gallery a year of so ago. For some reason a piece was removed and or people were leaving comments on Post It notes. Probably as some sort of Art in itself. Mrs T Penny noticed one that we both agreed on said something along the lines of "Art is to comfort the discomforted and discomfort the comforted" You could also quote Wilde that All Art Is Useless. I think I have those right but being an old Bunnyfan I could be wrong
TenNewPence

Postby King Of Kings » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:28 pm

All that Will Sergeant stuff on ebay being sold is from Will's "x" American girlfriend.

So its all genuine
King Of Kings

Postby Psychedelicfur » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:02 pm

King Of Kings wrote:All that Will Sergeant stuff on ebay being sold is from Will's "x" American girlfriend.

So its all genuine

Yes, that's indeed me.

Voodoo, yes I bought it for around $80 and it just sold for around $635. Better purchase than the guitar! :biggrin: There were some really big fans that bought a lot of the merch and I'm really happy it's going to good homes. Art needs to live on. I still have all of our personal things as well as some of the paintings. I like the two prints you bought (Caligula/Choc Orange). I really believed in his old stuff which is why I did the show out here. Regardless of what happened, he's still a talented person. On art galleries, it's a little pretentious but once you look past that, it's blue skies ahead. Can't even say how many museums we've been to in the past 5 years (2019 & prior). Has to be in the hundreds. I went to art school when I was younger and paint/do photography as well.

FC, I do paintings with stripes. lol Not going on ebay though! :biggrin: His art won't hold the value because he didn't take it seriously. One can't do a couple shows then think things are going to land on their lap. Doesn't work like that in the art world and it's actually frowned upon. Btw, I saw Johnny Marr live once and even being a female watching the same thing you did, I thought it was horrible. Felt sick.

TenNP, totally agree. Art is only what you make of it and there sure is a lot of junk out there. I tend to steer clear of the newer artist exhibitions. Can't deal with the new age post-it kind of stuff you mentioned. It's funny when docents say "does it make you feel something?" Best response is "yes it makes me feel like leaving the gallery". That always raises some eyebrows.

I took a lot of cool photos over the years. You can only listen to Killing Moon so many times before your mind starts to wander off a bit. I've been copywriting my photographs and might do a book one day. Picture books tend to sell a lot better than those old kinds with all the words in them.
Psychedelicfur

Postby King Of Kings » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:33 am

good luck

keep positive test negetive
King Of Kings

Postby King Of Kings » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:33 am

good luck

keep positive test negetive
King Of Kings

Postby fat cherry » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:42 am

Psychedelicfur wrote:Btw, I saw Johnny Marr live once and even being a female watching the same thing you did, I thought it was horrible. Felt sick.

it was the whole thing really, seemed he thought he was the big pop star, kept us waiting about fifteen minutes with the lights dimmed at the start - and we're in a smallish venue in a holiday camp, and its mostly midddle aged blokes, nobody else is coming, and then the wiggling, lol. And I missed spititualised the next night because my missus was ill and we had to go home. The Fall were good though.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Psychedelicfur » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:57 am

fat cherry wrote:
Psychedelicfur wrote:Btw, I saw Johnny Marr live once and even being a female watching the same thing you did, I thought it was horrible. Felt sick.

it was the whole thing really, seemed he thought he was the big pop star, kept us waiting about fifteen minutes with the lights dimmed at the start - and we're in a smallish venue in a holiday camp, and its mostly midddle aged blokes, nobody else is coming, and then the wiggling, lol. And I missed spititualised the next night because my missus was ill and we had to go home. The Fall were good though.

Yep, same as when I saw him but he might have only played for 300 people in Los Angeles.

I do have one more item I’m going to list on Tuesday. I might do a new post for it. It’s the guitar neck of Ian’s old 80’s acoustic. Apparently the one he wrote Killing Moon on.
Psychedelicfur

Postby TenNewPence » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:34 pm

Psychedelicfur wrote:
King Of Kings wrote:All that Will Sergeant stuff on ebay being sold is from Will's "x" American girlfriend.

So its all genuine

Yes, that's indeed me.

Voodoo, yes I bought it for around $80 and it just sold for around $635. Better purchase than the guitar! :biggrin: There were some really big fans that bought a lot of the merch and I'm really happy it's going to good homes. Art needs to live on. I still have all of our personal things as well as some of the paintings. I like the two prints you bought (Caligula/Choc Orange). I really believed in his old stuff which is why I did the show out here. Regardless of what happened, he's still a talented person. On art galleries, it's a little pretentious but once you look past that, it's blue skies ahead. Can't even say how many museums we've been to in the past 5 years (2019 & prior). Has to be in the hundreds. I went to art school when I was younger and paint/do photography as well.

FC, I do paintings with stripes. lol Not going on ebay though! :biggrin: His art won't hold the value because he didn't take it seriously. One can't do a couple shows then think things are going to land on their lap. Doesn't work like that in the art world and it's actually frowned upon. Btw, I saw Johnny Marr live once and even being a female watching the same thing you did, I thought it was horrible. Felt sick.

TenNP, totally agree. Art is only what you make of it and there sure is a lot of junk out there. I tend to steer clear of the newer artist exhibitions. Can't deal with the new age post-it kind of stuff you mentioned. It's funny when docents say "does it make you feel something?" Best response is "yes it makes me feel like leaving the gallery". That always raises some eyebrows.

I took a lot of cool photos over the years. You can only listen to Killing Moon so many times before your mind starts to wander off a bit. I've been copywriting my photographs and might do a book one day. Picture books tend to sell a lot better than those old kinds with all the words in them.

After posting yesterday remembered one of my favourite Irish bands A House and the excellent Endless Art single and the excellent ! Am The Greatest album. Reminded me of working in Dublin 15 years ago and work colleagues were impressed I knew of A House
TenNewPence

Postby Psychedelicfur » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:49 pm

Thought I might add this on since it’s quite interesting. This is the guitar neck I had for a long time. It was given to me by Ian’s driver and friend. Apparently Ian’s old original acoustic guitar was put over someone’s head and this is one of the pieces left. His friend had a few more things a while ago. Will confirmed his old one was an Ibanez and it’s also in this video. I’ll put it up for auction in January at some point.
Attachments
DFFB97E4-2BA8-434D-935A-5B9058CC8C71.jpeg
DFFB97E4-2BA8-434D-935A-5B9058CC8C71.jpeg (88.06 KiB) Viewed 2006 times
Psychedelicfur

Postby Psychedelicfur » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:56 pm

Can’t remember what was said about the brand name that was on the headstock but this is the back.
Attachments
44768D33-9674-43FC-916D-263D2674547A.jpeg
44768D33-9674-43FC-916D-263D2674547A.jpeg (36.85 KiB) Viewed 2006 times
Psychedelicfur

Postby Psychedelicfur » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:57 pm

Someone sent this screenshot to me as we were trying to gather more info for authenticity but it’s 100% that one.
Attachments
79824097-889B-43B9-B830-CFBB1BC725CA.jpeg
79824097-889B-43B9-B830-CFBB1BC725CA.jpeg (83.61 KiB) Viewed 2006 times
Psychedelicfur

Postby Voodoo Billy » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:26 pm

Psychedelicfur wrote:Thought I might add this on since it’s quite interesting. This is the guitar neck I had for a long time. It was given to me by Ian’s driver and friend. Apparently Ian’s old original acoustic guitar was put over someone’s head and this is one of the pieces left. His friend had a few more things a while ago. Will confirmed his old one was an Ibanez and it’s also in this video. I’ll put it up for auction in January at some point.

'Broke My Neck' :party-dance:
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Psychedelicfur » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:10 pm

Voodoo Billy wrote:
Psychedelicfur wrote:Thought I might add this on since it’s quite interesting. This is the guitar neck I had for a long time. It was given to me by Ian’s driver and friend. Apparently Ian’s old original acoustic guitar was put over someone’s head and this is one of the pieces left. His friend had a few more things a while ago. Will confirmed his old one was an Ibanez and it’s also in this video. I’ll put it up for auction in January at some point.

'Broke My Neck' :party-dance:

LOL broke the guitar too
Psychedelicfur

Postby Mr. Brian » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:16 am

Psychedelicfur wrote:Someone sent this screenshot to me as we were trying to gather more info for authenticity but it’s 100% that one.

Sorry. If I am following correctly and it’s 7am on Sunday where I am...I’m not sure how it can be “100% that one” since the Ibanez logo is missing from the headstock. I suppose it could have been refinished but removing the logo and not replacing it seems sketchy to me and makes me think someone slapped some Ibanez hardware on a copy.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Psychedelicfur » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:15 am

Mr. Brian wrote:
Psychedelicfur wrote:Someone sent this screenshot to me as we were trying to gather more info for authenticity but it’s 100% that one.

Sorry. If I am following correctly and it’s 7am on Sunday where I am...I’m not sure how it can be “100% that one” since the Ibanez logo is missing from the headstock. I suppose it could have been refinished but removing the logo and not replacing it seems sketchy to me and makes me think someone slapped some Ibanez hardware on a copy.

Hi Mr Brian, it doesn’t really work like that. You can’t get that vintage kind of headstock and who’s going to go through all of the hassle to do that. We’re not dealing with the hope diamond here. It’s in the original vintage state and nothing has been changed. I thought Will said he remembered the logo being taken off of it. He’s seen it a couple times and confirmed it’s from that time. And after all that, I wouldn’t have lugged it from Liverpool to Los Angeles if it was 100%.
Psychedelicfur

PreviousNext

Return to Gods Will Be Gods