The WHO

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

The WHO

Postby fat cherry » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:36 am

yes, all in upper case. Listened to the new album. Don't know why I was expecting anything but disappointment, I mean, look where we are 40 years on. Anyways, its OK but like a who album from the modern era. Daltrey does this thing where her doesn't so much sing as growl his way through the songs, and the songs are part kerranging guitar part neatly programmed synth with a quiet bit in the middle. But put that to one side and its OK. The killer thugh, is that right at the end there's a song from the mid sixties, previously unreleased but with new strings or something on it and its great. Go figure, as our american chums say. Meanwhile Pete's going around the world giving interviews where he says he doesn't like doing what he does, sigh. Where was I, anyone heard the new Stormzy album yet?
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Re: The WHO

Postby Dr Cheese » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:44 am

fat cherry wrote:Meanwhile Pete's going around the world giving interviews where he says he doesn't like doing what he does, sigh.

He's been saying that for most of his career!
I used to be very fond of The Who but I can't listen to anything post Quadrophenia these days.
And you know that I'll pick up
Every time you call
Just to thank you one more time
Alcohol
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:47 am

fat cherry wrote:Where was I, anyone heard the new Stormzy album yet?

No, but I looked up "grime" in the OED: "A genre of popular music influenced by UK garage, typically characterized by a minimal, prominent rhythm, a very low-pitched bassline, and vocals by an MC."
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Voodoo Billy » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:25 pm

Kounelaki wrote:

No, but I looked up "grime" in the OED: "A genre of popular music influenced by UK garage, typically characterized by a minimal, prominent rhythm, a very low-pitched bassline, and vocals by an MC."

We used to have a UK garage but we decided to extend the kitchen, so now I have to park in the road.
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:56 am

Kounelaki wrote:

Thats about it. Seen him on the telly and he's a cool and amusing bloke - but I watched his glastonbury set and just thought, this is shite, doof doof doof, shout shout etc.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:36 am

Voodoo Billy wrote:We used to have a UK garage but we decided to extend the kitchen, so now I have to park in the road.

:lol:
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:37 am

fat cherry wrote:
Kounelaki wrote:

Thats about it. Seen him on the telly and he's a cool and amusing bloke - but I watched his glastonbury set and just thought, this is shite, doof doof doof, shout shout etc.

He seems cool and amusing. Guess I'll leave it at that.
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:39 pm

Kids also bought me townshend's novel - the age of anxiety - that's not the best I've ever read either. Shouldn't be ungrateful because I asked for both. Spoilers....., its got an aging ex rock star and a younger ex not quite rock star whose done good on the pub circuits, and the story is narrated by an old geezer who sells art but knows enough to yadder on and on about the music industry. the aged rock star is in a film wherethe one scene described has the golden haired rock god on top of a mountain with the sun forming a halo around the golden head of hair, hmmmm, tommy anyone. Write what you know about I suppose. Oh and theres a song on the album called hero ground zero - which is the name of a band in the book. so might be able to guess where its going eventually. Obviously its deep and meaningful too. Righto, enough spoilers for now.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Return to Gods Will Be Gods