My top non Bunnymen Desert Island Discs

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

Postby JackT » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:59 am

NO NO NO! Don't you people know ANYTHING about the desert island music collection scenario???? It's a hand cranked record player. Sheesh. And it's ten records only.
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:17 pm

JackT wrote:NO NO NO! Don't you people know ANYTHING about the desert island music collection scenario???? It's a hand cranked record player. Sheesh. And it's ten records only.

So home made compilation CDs and iPods are out?
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby Frank The Bunny » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:28 pm

JackT wrote:NO NO NO! Don't you people know ANYTHING about the desert island music collection scenario???? It's a hand cranked record player. Sheesh. And it's ten records only.

Wait - so that means
1. Only vinyl LPs
2. Only albums that were released on vinyl
3. Only vinyl albums that one currently has in his/her collection?

Girlfriend, I went all digital a long time ago. I'm fucked. I get no music on my desert island. Where's that fucking volleyball - what'd Tom Hanks call him, when he was stranded - Wilson?

I'm pissed. Maybe the Professor can tap into a powerline, or Gilligan can power my laptop with his bamboo bike.

Fuck Fuck Fuck
Frank The Bunny
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby JackT » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:35 pm

Frank The Bunny wrote:

Wait - so that means
1. Only vinyl LPs
2. Only albums that were released on vinyl
3. Only vinyl albums that one currently has in his/her collection?

Girlfriend, I went all digital a long time ago. I'm fucked. I get no music on my desert island. Where's that fucking volleyball - what'd Tom Hanks call him, when he was stranded - Wilson?

I'm pissed. Maybe the Professor can tap into a powerline, or Gilligan can power my laptop with his bamboo bike.

Fuck Fuck Fuck

Relax, you can just postulate that you have the recording on vinyl. But, yes, it would constrain you just to releases on vinyl.

One sticking point is does a two-disc album count as 2 or not?
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby JackT » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:38 pm

black francis wrote:

So home made compilation CDs and iPods are out?

They have to be out, otherwise you could effectively bring EVERYTHING, and that completely undermines the gut-wrenching choices that are part-and-parcel to the desert island music collection scenario TM.
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Red » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:44 pm

pfft!
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:52 pm

I'm mildly lucky that I still have my vinyl. Mildly cause I still don't have a record player.

I have some pretty good sheeiiit too. Autographed Psychocandy. The Sisterhood - The Gift, all the Sisters of Mercy, original Misfits vinyl, Bunnymen, Front 242, Prince, The Cure, a bunch of other stuff and the first album I ever bought Michael Jackson - Thriller. That will not be coming to island with me.
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby JackT » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:53 pm

black francis wrote:I'm mildly lucky that I still have my vinyl. Mildly cause I still don't have a record player.

I have some pretty good sheeiiit too. Autographed Psychocandy. The Sisterhood - The Gift, all the Sisters of Mercy, original Misfits vinyl, Bunnymen, Front 242, Prince, The Cure, a bunch of other stuff and the first album I ever bought Michael Jackson - Thriller. That will not be coming to island with me.

Thriller is a good album, though. But you're right, not DIMCS material.
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:55 pm

JackT wrote:
black francis wrote:I'm mildly lucky that I still have my vinyl. Mildly cause I still don't have a record player.

Thriller is a good album, though. But you're right, not DIMCS material.

I think Purple Rain is definitely DIMCS material.
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby Red » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:11 pm

black francis wrote:I think Purple Rain is definitely DIMCS material.

i love purple rain! Image
pfft!
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:14 pm

I think Darling Nikki and Computer Blue are still my favorite Prince songs.

Back then I had no idea how a chick would even masturbate with a magazine.

Still not sure now that I think about it.
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby JackT » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:28 pm

Ok, under the proviso that Bunnymen albums do not cut into my allotment of 10 albums, here is a first draft:

Loveless-MBV
Strange Days-The Doors
Murmur-REM
Oh, Inverted World-The Shins
Time Out-Dave Brubeck Quartet
Hatfull of Hollow-Smiths
Reading, Writing & Arithmetic- The Sundays
Red Album-Beatles (cheating?)
Willie & Family Live- Willie Nelson
Diana Ross' Greatest Hits-Diana Ross
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:37 pm

How did I forget Loveless? My favorite album of all time. Damn lists.

Diana Ross? You don't happen to watch The Wiz a lot do you?
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby JackT » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:44 pm

black francis wrote:How did I forget Loveless? My favorite album of all time. Damn lists.

Diana Ross? You don't happen to watch The Wiz a lot do you?

I'm answering your question via email.
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Red » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:48 pm

JackT wrote:Ok, under the proviso that Bunnymen albums do not cut into my allotment of 10 albums, here is a first draft:

Loveless-MBV
Strange Days-The Doors
Murmur-REM
Oh, Inverted World-The Shins
Time Out-Dave Brubeck Quartet
Hatfull of Hollow-Smiths
Reading, Writing & Arithmetic- The Sundays
Red Album-Beatles (cheating?)
Willie & Family Live- Willie Nelson
Diana Ross' Greatest Hits-Diana Ross

and you said our lists were all insane! ? :lol:
pfft!