Bands in need of a last ever concert

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

Re: Bands in need of a last ever concert

Postby TenNewPence » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:13 pm

fat cherry wrote:
bunnyboy wrote:Institutions such as the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame have regressed into a politically correct shit hole that has failed to inspire any musicians or bands striving to continue to evolve and influence. Dire Straits gets in but Rage Against the Machine does not? The Bunnies are never considered? It's all about money.

Did the Bunnies not get some Q Award a few years back ?

Good timing this thread as the Rolling Stones announce another money spinning tour. I once heard Mark Radcliffe saying he went to see the Stones in 1984 as he expected it to be the last time (there is a song in there somewhere) and they are still touring in 2018 WTF. Sorry for the ramble
TenNewPence

Postby fat cherry » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:44 am

They did. Maybe the last classic Mac moment. Swaggered through the audience and started his speach with "Not before time, obviously."
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:12 pm

“We’re interested in anything that’s going to earn us a fair wage, It’s not to say it’s not about art, but we made that art fucking 20 years ago. So forget the fucking goddamn art. This ain’t about the art anymore. I did the arty farty part. Now it’s time to talk about the money.” - Black Francis of the Pixies.
http://www.nme.com/news/music/pixies-71 ... 8MDgH8q.99

Very well put. It's not like musicians have a 401k.
This was a recent Jeopardy question BTW...without the "fucks". I believe it was cleansed down to something like, "This ain’t about the art anymore. Now it’s time to talk about the money.”
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby fat cherry » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:21 am

Just idly thinking about the latest megabucks tours so checked em out - U2 cheapest tickets pushing £100 and over £1K for stage front, Stones stadium gig about £120 at the back. And they can all fuck right off.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:30 am

Though as always, Mr Sensible Charlie Watts hits the nail on the head as usual

http://www.nme.com/news/music/charlie-w ... it-2249606

Soz, slightly off topic there. Lonfg discussion in the comments section about beatles drummers mildly amusing for its pointlessness.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:17 am

Never been much of a UB40 fan but this telly program was fascinating in how bad it can get. I was aware there were two versions of the band are touring but not just how bad the fall out was. They seem unaware where all the money went but seems they spent a couple of decades off their faces, ostensibly running things themselves but with no idea how to go about stuff like getting royalties.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b ... ry-of-ub40
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:11 am

fat cherry wrote:Though as always, Mr Sensible Charlie Watts hits the nail on the head as usual

Soz, slightly off topic there. Lonfg discussion in the comments section about beatles drummers mildly amusing for its pointlessness.

I agree with him on the Stones but he should have kept the Bowie comments to himself. 2 good songs? That makes Charlie look like an idiot.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Brian » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:15 am

fat cherry wrote:Never been much of a UB40 fan but this telly program was fascinating in how bad it can get. I was aware there were two versions of the band are touring but not just how bad the fall out was. They seem unaware where all the money went but seems they spent a couple of decades off their faces, ostensibly running things themselves but with no idea how to go about stuff like getting royalties.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b ... ry-of-ub40

There are two version of Gene Loves Jezebel going around. I guess the brothers had a spat and its Jay Aston's Gene Loves Jezebel vs Michael Aston's Gene Loves Jezebel. Amazing. I'll bet the hardcore fans are split into two factions now with each believing that their GLJ is the truer version. I guess they have to eat but...wow.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby fat cherry » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:27 pm

Ive heard there are.twi versions of Yes going around but they're kind of cool with it. Not sure about tge truth of any of that, haha. With UB40 the version without ali cambell recruited his brother to take on singing duties, and (going back to BFs bunny suggestion), apparently made a country album.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby TenNewPence » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:35 am

Mr. Brian wrote:
fat cherry wrote:Though as always, Mr Sensible Charlie Watts hits the nail on the head as usual

I agree with him on the Stones but he should have kept the Bowie comments to himself. 2 good songs? That makes Charlie look like an idiot.

Two good songs, so that's The Laughing Gnome and ?
TenNewPence

Postby Mr. Brian » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:18 pm

fat cherry wrote:Ive heard there are.twi versions of Yes going around but they're kind of cool with it. Not sure about tge truth of any of that, haha. With UB40 the version without ali cambell recruited his brother to take on singing duties, and (going back to BFs bunny suggestion), apparently made a country album.

Yes, two Yes'. I guess each is a mixture of the various lineups through the years. It looks like they tolerate each other. I'll bet the Howe version with the Jon Anderson sound-alike sounds better than the Jon Anderson one in that Jon probably can't sing in that register anymore. I heard for example that Rush tunes down a bit to accommodate Geddy Lee's aging voice.
Why do old bands like this continue to squabble? It's not like they have to write new songs or ride on the same bus or anything. Just go onstage and do your shit, go back to the hotel and cash your check.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/ent ... story.html
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby fat cherry » Fri May 25, 2018 6:08 am

bunnyboy wrote:The Cure has the chops to put out a great album; ?

Just found this - looks like they're morhing into the grateful dead

fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Fri May 25, 2018 6:55 am

Mr. Brian wrote:
Why do old bands like this continue to squabble? It's not like they have to write new songs or ride on the same bus or anything. Just go onstage and do your shit, go back to the hotel and cash your check.

This reminds me that Joey and Johnny Ramone barely spoke to each other for 22 years but they knew The Ramones was their meal ticket. Who would have thought the punk rockers would be the professionals?
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/feat ... s-20160519
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby fat cherry » Fri May 25, 2018 12:26 pm

Mr. Brian wrote:This reminds me that Joey and Johnny Ramone barely spoke to each other for 22 years but they knew The Ramones was their meal ticket. Who would have thought the punk rockers would be the professionals?
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/feat ... s-20160519

Ah, that's the myth isn't it, that they were somehow ramshackle desperados (eagles reference - hanging offence I take it) who didn't care for the way things were done - and true in some cases, but any who stood the test of time either learnt or were already proficient I suppose. As is the old do it yourself who needs a record company myth, when all the big ones were on majors. on the other hand....... I can probably argue with myself all night on this one.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Fri May 25, 2018 3:44 pm

I don't think their professionalism in that regard meant they were disingenuous outcasts. I imagine they knew it was either The Ramones or be a dishwasher, the whole is bigger than the sum of the parts and all that, so they just tolerated each other.

Fun random fact, Wayne Coyne from the Flaming Lips was still working at a fast food place called Long John Silvers until 1990 when their 4th album came out.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Gods Will Be Gods