The Stranglers

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

The Stranglers

Postby NOF » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:07 pm

UK 77 punk:

1 - The Stranglers
2 - The Damned
3 - The Sex Pistols
4 - Sham 69
5 - The Clash

Besides that, they were genuine nutcases (Thegospelaccordingto...), hard men and produced some of the finest music to grace this earth.
NOF

Re: The Stranglers

Postby fat cherry » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:09 am

Kind if lost touch with them after Black and White though Duchess and Skin Deep both brilliant records. Seen em a few times and first one - Queens Hall Leeds about the time No More Heroes came out still up there as one of my favourite gigs -Cornwell & Burnell stalking the stage in down in the sewer.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:36 am

‘We were called heretics and ostracised’: the Stranglers on fights, drugs and finally growing up
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/ ... growing-up

Burnel adds: “The funny thing is, Glastonbury never wanted to put us on. We weren’t exactly banned, but Michael Eavis doesn’t like us and refused to put us on for 30 years.” What changed? “Well, here in the West Country, the Stranglers play second fiddle to the real Gods, the Wurzels,” he says, referring to the jokey Somerset folkies who sing about cider and combine harvesters. “Eavis loves them and wanted to book them, but our manager manages them as well.” The two men laugh. “So I think we had some leverage.”
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:21 am

brilliant. There's a fairly recent video on the youtube of burnel getting off stage to 'deal with' someone who chucked a pint of beer at him.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby TenNewPence » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:03 am

fat cherry wrote:brilliant. There's a fairly recent video on the youtube of burnel getting off stage to 'deal with' someone who chucked a pint of beer at him.

A very brave or a very stupid person.

Always thought first album was more Doors than the Bunnies

No More Heroes and Always The Sun my favs
TenNewPence

Postby Kounelaki » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:54 am

So many great songs.

"Golden Brown" - Mariachi Mexteca (now known as The Mariachis) feat. Hugh Cornwell

Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby TenNewPence » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:58 am

There is a video on You Tube with Dave Brubeck playing Golden Brown. I think the kids call is mashing or something like that.
TenNewPence

Postby fat cherry » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:40 am

TenNewPence wrote:
fat cherry wrote:brilliant. There's a fairly recent video on the youtube of burnel getting off stage to 'deal with' someone who chucked a pint of beer at him.

A very brave or a very stupid person.

Always thought first album was more Doors than the Bunnies

No More Heroes and Always The Sun my favs

First album for me though still play heroes and black and white now and again (wonder how they'd get on with those dodgy lyrics int eh modern day I think to mysel;f when I play it). I beleive when they supported the who in 79 at wembley they were still having the strippers on for bring on the nubiles but we were so far back couldn't tell who it was wandering around the stage.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Stuart » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:05 am

I had a fully signed No More Heroes, I''ve had workmen in recently and now can't find it.

But it's nice to know workmen have good musical taste.
It wouldn't work if Mac was a slaphead would it.
Stuart

Return to Gods Will Be Gods