The great big U2 thread

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

Re: The great big U2 thread

Postby Kounelaki » Sat May 16, 2020 3:56 am

That's nice of him.
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby crystal daze » Tue May 19, 2020 5:31 pm

thanks F.C.

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds – Into My Arms
Dearest Nick,
I always thought of this song as a lullaby, a somnambulant prayer for a peaceful sleep… in the singer's arms of course. It’s so hard to let go of a lover, a child, an age. Time slows when this black beauty of a tune turns, and as I listen right now time is hardly breathing. I’m thinking for a moment I’m the darling that does believe in an interventionist God… and I’m looking for an intervention.
This lullaby eases people into deeper sleeps. You played it at Michael Hutchence’s funeral with the lights and the camera turned off. It doesn’t have to be dark to pray but the darkness can bring you there quicker. I know you know that.
Many years from this song's source you let us into your own family’s grief. Presently it feels like the whole world grieves because there are the lives being lost so unnecessarily to this covid-catastrophe, bringing the world to its knees. But there is another kind of death going on… The death of our innocence, and I’m personally fine with that. If innocence is the naivety that whispers everything is going to be ok and shields us from taking responsibility for our actions or inactions, then let’s replace that whisper with a shout of ‘Don’t agonise, organise!”
Richard Rohr is a Franciscan friar I’ve been reading… he runs a place out in the desert of New Mexico, it’s called the Centre for Action and Contemplation. I love that order of events.
Anyway…Thank you to your whole family for sharing whatever scraps of insights or rare earth discoveries you find on your daily dig for meaning after Arthur’s passing.
Red Hand Files is a fount for so many of us.
All I discovered is… there is no end to grief, that’s how we know there is no end to love.
Your fellow pligrim,
Bonio
There's times when I've been deeply indifferent
crystal daze

Postby crystal daze » Fri May 22, 2020 2:44 pm

https://youtu.be/kj1SwrZrbA0?t=459

Bunnymen mentioned at 7:40
"and then the singer wanted to kill me"
There's times when I've been deeply indifferent
crystal daze

Postby fat cherry » Sun May 24, 2020 7:41 am

a I htink I find this pop star fanboying a bit distasteful for some reason, thats our job isn't it? Not that I'd ever write a creepy letter to a pop star. Bonio turns up inthe Boomtown Rats doc on the BBC,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... mtown-rats

explaining where they went wrong when trying to conquer america, i.e. turning up and saying we're better than all this american crap. Clem Burke says the same thing, only is funnier. The doc itself is quite good, Bob even lets the other Rats do quite alot of the talking, apart from a really cringey bit at the start with Geldof having a Zoom meeting with Alan Yentob. Obviously all neatly timed for their new album. Bono alspo says something really stupid like there weren't any great irish bands and I'm thinking Lynnot will be spinning in his box at that.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:08 pm

just came across this - neatly explains the evergreen question of why U2=BIG band and the rest, less so - particularly in this neck of the woods. Quite an interesting read too. McGuinness talking - though he won't be drawn onnumbers.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/busi ... r-in-chief
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby TenNewPence » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:46 pm

Average band good manager ? Where as there have been many good bands with shit managers.
TenNewPence

Postby TenNewPence » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:46 pm

Average band good manager ? Where as there have been many good bands with shit managers.
TenNewPence

Postby fat cherry » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:50 am

crystal daze wrote:https://youtu.be/kj1SwrZrbA0?t=459

Bunnymen mentioned at 7:40
"and then the singer wanted to kill me"

a bit after where he says they can't play anyone elses songs he's fibbing, at Milton Keynes longest day (85?) they came on playing Rain by the beatles. Not that it matters I suppose though just saying - just made the mistake of suggesting Dave Grohl's a bit of a dick on an FB page and its a bit like I'd suggested jesus isn't real or something - reminded me of the old days on here. Now, where was I?
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:00 pm

well just looked it up and no they didn't come on playing that at all - it was when Bad went, well, bad, and they had to fill in. bad - as they say. I really do need to get out more......
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Voodoo Billy » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:45 am

fat cherry wrote:well just looked it up and no they didn't come on playing that at all - it was when Bad went, well, bad, and they had to fill in. bad - as they say. I really do need to get out more......

Stay Home, Protect The NHS, Chat shit on VT with me, Save Lives.
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:10 am

good advice - you should send that to boris and hancock
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Mon May 10, 2021 6:12 am

Apparently its Bonio's birthday today too - what is it about May and great peoples birthdays (except its 9 months from the end of last summer). Heres 10 things you probably did know about the great man, or you could have guessed

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment ... hp#image=7
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Wed May 11, 2022 12:57 am

Bono to release memoir about ‘the people, places and possibilities’ of his life
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2022/ ... is-life-u2

When's the Mac tome supposed to be published?
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Wed May 11, 2022 3:39 am

12th of Never, as the song goes.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby TenNewPence » Wed May 11, 2022 12:28 pm

Kounelaki wrote:Bono to release memoir about ‘the people, places and possibilities’ of his life
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2022/ ... is-life-u2

When's the Mac tome supposed to be published?

Whenever it will no doubt be the greatest bio ever written. Well best since Ocean Rain
TenNewPence

PreviousNext

Return to Gods Will Be Gods