The Pixies

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

Re: The Pixies

Postby black francis » Fri May 02, 2014 1:45 am

New York was worthwhile if for nothing else the anguish Jack felt when Chris Adams said "You're black francis? You're funny" and made no mention of Jack's hilarity. Oh and the Bunnymen go go dancers too.
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby withahip » Thu May 08, 2014 9:46 am

Mr. Brian wrote:
black francis wrote:Well I did share a hotel room with two hunks in New York circa Ocean Rain live.

The "like" button needs to happen now.

X2
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby the puppet » Tue May 27, 2014 3:31 am

Just got to see the Pixies Saturday 24th May,(2nd night of 4) in the Sydney Opera House.
A great light show,some great guitar solos and Frank Black's voice was on song tonight-just powerfully
screamingly great.Nothing lost is his voice over all the years.

the setlist:
1 -U-Mass
2 -Debaser
3 -River Euphrates
4 -Indie Cindy
5 -Cactus
6 -Isla de Encanta
7-Something Against You
8 -Tame
9 -Blue Eyed Hexe
10-Gouge Away
11-Mr.Grieves
12-Crackity Jones
13-Levitate Me
14-Monkey Gone To Heaven
15The Holiday Song
16-Silver Snail
17-Here Comes Your Man
18-Where Is My Mind?
19-In Heaven (Lady In The Radiator Song)
20-Andro Queen
21-I've Been Tired
22-Distance Equals Rate Times Time
23-Subbacultcha
24-The Sad Punk
25-Vamos
Encore
26-Bone Machine
27-Wave Of Mutilation
28-Head On
29-Hey
30-No.13 Baby
31-Ed Is Dead
32-Planet Of Sound

It Appears that for each night they played 10-15 different songs so fairly different show each night
The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit.
the puppet

Postby black francis » Tue May 27, 2014 9:49 am

That's a helluva set list but I'm kind of bitchy and would have been very distressed not to hear Velouria. Still think they should have kept Kim Shattuck. What did you think of the new bassist?
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby the puppet » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:15 pm

black francis wrote:That's a helluva set list but I'm kind of bitchy and would have been very distressed not to hear Velouria. Still think they should have kept Kim Shattuck. What did you think of the new bassist?

Paz played really well voice sounded great when called upon and when she was not needed in some of the new songs
she stood back next to her amps and blended in as she along with all on stage,was dressed in black.
She had a big smile on her face as did the rest of the band for a lot of the show-which to me meant that the band was
having fun and definitely not just going through the motions.Had other friends who went along on other nights,and from their
accounts was just as good,well fantastic.Velouria was played on these nights.
The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit.
the puppet

Postby black francis » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:03 am

Sounds like a great night then. The band is probably more happy without Kim Deal as BF, Lovering and Santiago have been friends and working together in various projects since the Pixies break-up.

I miss those old shows where Frank Black and the Catholics would play, David Lovering would open with his magic show (took me three times to realize the heckler was a plant!) and Joey Santiago would show up and play. Those were some fun, loose shows and I loved that garage/country/alt rock sound he had going on back then.
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby black francis » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:11 am

I miss this Frank Black

black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby fat cherry » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:33 am

hey BF, this one's for you! From this month's Mojo - Hello Goodbye article - dunno if you know it but about when someone joins a band, and how they leave it - kind of as it says on the title.

Mojo wrote:
Hello Goodbye: KIM SHATTUCK & THE PIXIES

She stepped in to replace Kim Deal. But differing world-views soon made disintegration inevitable.
Hello- Janury 2013

I was taking a break from my group The Muffs, studying photography at college, but I didn't stop writing. Then in 2009 I played bass withthe Pixies at the Winston Calling benefit gig [for ill baby Winston Bertrand]; it was only three songs but I heard from a mutual friend that Charles [aka Pixies leader Black Francis] said he'd felt really comfortable with me on-stage and I seemed like a nice person. I hadn't heard from him for two years, then he Twitter messaged me, asking if I wanted to hear some songs. I said, "Yes,if you wrote them yourself." More time goes by, then he emailed, "I want you to hear the songs, because I wondered whether you wanted to be the bass player of the Pixies."That was shocking, I had no idea Kim Deal had gone. I love Kim Deal, she is a huge part of why I like the Pixies, not the other guys as much. My husband said, "Say yes,you only live once."Charles told me the whole story of Kim, the twists and turns, it was pretty dramatic stuff. She basically walked out on them. Charles had a thing about me being called Kim -one night when he was super-drunk he said it was meant to be (laughs)!

We rehearsed about 80 songs, no exaggeration! When I did the first rehearsal with Joey [Santiago] and Dave [Lovering] it was like three buddies, we had laughs and inside jokes. I remember telling Charles and he was like, "Inside jokes? I feel/eft out." The dynamic shifted slightly when we started rehearsing together, but it was fun and felt really at home.

Goodbye - November 2013
I think they were shocked when I first started playing the shows - I'd get a little bit more into it than them, and rock out a bit. At the Mayan Theatre in LA, I jumped in the pit at the end and started hugging and high-fiving the crowd, it was sweet. By the time I'd finished, the guys were long gone off-stage. I felt a real jerk. Then the manager got in my face, "Don't jump into the pit! The Pixies don't do that." I realised I'd over-stepped my bounds and apologised the next day.

It all seemed OK,except that Dave stopped talking to me. He got very grunty. I thought,"Dave's taking this hard. "Throughout the tour, Charles said, "Don't take it personally," but things would happen and I knew [Dave] hated my fucking guts. But I tried not to make it about me. We had a break,then on the second leg of the tour, Dave was super-nice to me on the plane. I thought he was fucked up and super-high. That was a red flag to me. I kind of knew then they were going to fire me.

After a while, Charles withdrew a little bit as a friend, too; before we'd go visit museums and have dinner on our days off. I asked him if anything was wrong, and he said, "It's just personal stuff." Before the last date at Hammersmith, I read something in the press about them wanting Kim Deal back. I thought, "That's a bit rude." The last show was agreat show, then afterwards there was, like, nobody backstage at all. When I got home to America I was super-tired. It was the day before Thanksgiving when I got the call.

Even though it ended badly, I have fond memories of it - it was the perfect amount of time to be in the Pixies, short and sweet. It was so exciting performing to those crowds. Yes,the title of The Muffs' new album Whoop DeeD00 comes from Charles's quote about firing me. But then Blonder And Blonder in 2005 is a quote from Courtney Love, about [Muffs ~ bassist] Ronnie and I. Charles made it easy for us to think of a title.'
As told to Pat Gilbert
TheMuffs 'Whoop DeeDoo is out now on ?i' CherryRed. ~
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:33 am

Thanks for that FC. I was at that Winston Calling benefit and told the missus that night that Kim Shattuck should replace Kim Deal. She seemed to fit in great and I've been a fan of the Muffs for a long time. Frank Black got into it and basically said it was David Lovering that wanted her out. He thought she was a lead singer who didn't take the bass that seriously. It's a weird dynamic in that band and I hope they call it a day again so FB can be free to make music for the hear and now and not recreating the late 80's/early 90's.
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby Kounelaki » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:18 am

A special fan-only pre-sale starts at 9am EST on Wednesday Feb 25th (general on-sale is Friday Feb 27th).

You will need to use our password 'snakes' to get these tickets first.

The pre-sale ticket links will be available on our website www.pixiesmusic.com.

NORTH AMERICAN TOUR 2015

MAY
05: Civic Theatre, New Orleans, LA
06: Iron City, Birmingham, AL
08: Shaky Knees Festival, Atlanta, GA
09: Big Guava, Tampa, FL
11: PAC, North Charleston, SC
12: Ovens Auditorium, Charlotte, NC
13: The Norva, Norfolk, VA
15: Louisville Palace, Louisville, KY
17: Masonic Auditorium, Cleveland, OH
19: Rapids Theatre, Niagara Falls, NY
21: Flynn P.A. Center, Burlington, VT
22: Brewery Ommegang, Cooperstown, NY
24: Boston Calling, Boston, MA
27: Beacon Theatre, New York, NY
28: Kings Theatre, Brooklyn, NY

JUNE
18-21: Amnesia Festival, Montebello, QC
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:39 pm

Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:30 pm

Any Pixies best of list that didn't consult me is invalid.
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby Kounelaki » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:48 am

black francis wrote:Any Pixies best of list that didn't consult me is invalid.

:lol:
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:31 pm

Because I love you people....

1. Velouria
2. Where Is My Mind
3. Winterlong
4. Debaser
5. Wave of Mutilation
6. Gouge Away
7. Manta Ray
8. Into the White
9. The Happening
10. I Bleed
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby Kounelaki » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:47 am

Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Gods Will Be Gods