The Pixies

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

The Pixies

Postby black francis » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:05 pm

Are tops and teach me new things every day.
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby zabird » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:27 pm

never listened to them much, but I do like their version of "Head On."
zabird
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:00 pm

zabird wrote:never listened to them much, but I do like their version of "Head On."

Do you have any of their albums? Anything?
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby zabird » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:24 pm

black francis wrote:Do you have any of their albums? Anything?

sad to say I don't. I do like what I've heard tho. where to start?
zabird
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:40 pm

I almost never recommend Greatest Hits collections but this one is so amazing and gives you a bit from all their albums and even the their cover of Neil Young's Winterlong. I'd go in this order.

1. Wave of Mutilation: The Best of Pixies
2. Doolittle
3. Bossanova (my favorite album but I'm in the minority)
4. Surfer Rosa
5. Trompe le Monde
6. Complete B-Sides
7. Come on Pilgrim

The Pixies' output was so amazing and consistent you really can't go wrong.
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby zabird » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:08 pm

black francis wrote:I almost never recommend Greatest Hits collections but this one is so amazing and gives you a bit from all their albums and even the their cover of Neil Young's Winterlong. I'd go in this order.

2. Doolittle
4. Surfer Rosa
5. Trompe le Monde
6. Complete B-Sides
7. Come on Pilgrim

Thanks, BF. next time I go to Amoeba, I'll take this with me and see what I can find.
zabird
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:14 pm

That's where I met Frank Black and all I could say was "it's great stuff" and run away like I had clubbed feet.
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby withahip » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:31 pm

I think Trompe le Monde is their best album. This always makes a Pixie fan angry when they hear me say this.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Fish Hook Girl » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:34 pm

withahip wrote:I think Trompe le Monde is their best album. This always makes a Pixie fan angry when they hear me say this.

I liked Doolittle a lot when it first came out. But now I'm more of a Trompe Le Monde fan. "Jeffrey with one f Jeffrey" -- brilliant.

Now I'll be singing that all night.
Fish Hook Girl

Postby withahip » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:47 pm

Fish Hook Girl wrote:I liked Doolittle a lot when it first came out. But now I'm more of a Trompe Le Monde fan. "Jeffrey with one f Jeffrey" -- brilliant.

Now I'll be singing that all night.

The best part is that was about a session drummer who came in and said exactly that to the band.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:03 pm

black francis wrote:I almost never recommend Greatest Hits collections but this one is so amazing and gives you a bit from all their albums and even the their cover of Neil Young's Winterlong. I'd go in this order.

2. Doolittle
4. Surfer Rosa
5. Trompe le Monde
6. Complete B-Sides
7. Come on Pilgrim

That is one the the greatest greatest hits packages ever.

Doolittle is pretty much the Pixies Ocean Rain, universally liked and often picked as top dog.

Bossanova eh? I like it but that seem the least typical of Pixies albums IMO. I remember not liking it too much when it came out. I do remember loving Havalina. I have not heard that one in a long time so maybe I'll give it another listen. I have a feeling I'll like it more than I remember.

Does anyone know the story of why Head On was on Trompe Le Monde? Didn't the original just come out a couple of years before that? It just seems strange that this song would make it to an album and not be a b-side.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby black francis » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:03 am

I really like the science fiction/surf rock influences on the album. Velouria is my favorite Pixies song. The opening is GNAR and so are the guitar blasts at the end. I really like Rock Music, Alison, Havalina and the Happening. And I love the Pixies videos as bad as they were for no other reason than Black Francis refused to lip sync.

Velouria - guys you get a Kim Deal panty shot.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PHhox4_SeHQ&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PHhox4_SeHQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Here Comes Your Man - love the way they just open their mouths when they're supposed to sing

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hvi4iA3PnKE&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hvi4iA3PnKE&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby Kounelaki » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:40 am

Come On Pilgrim, Surfer Rosa, Doolittle -- can't decide.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GrsoLQ0DC5M&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GrsoLQ0DC5M&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby withahip » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:03 am

Mr. Brian wrote:
Does anyone know the story of why Head On was on Trompe Le Monde? Didn't the original just come out a couple of years before that? It just seems strange that this song would make it to an album and not be a b-side.

In an interview I saw, Frank Black said he was driving around during the recording of Trompe listening to Automatic and loved the song. Who knows if he was telling the truth.

The video was recorded completely live.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:05 pm

The first time I heard the Pixies I knew that a corner had been turned musically and the 80's were indeed over. I had never heard anything like this before.

The Pixies were opening for Love and Rockets around my area in the late 80's and a lot of people I knew were primarily going for this new band called the Pixies. I hadn't heard them yet. The idiot pro-Jimmy Buffet music critic around here, Cliff Radel seemed to only review the fact that a lot of people were wearing black. :rolleyes: This is the same guy who infamously reviewed a show that never occurred (not this show). It seems the show canceled but he never bothered to check and had already written a review.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Gods Will Be Gods