The Pixies

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

Postby zabird » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:29 pm

Mr. Brian wrote:It seems the show canceled but he never bothered to check and had already written a review.

that happens more than you think :eek: a college friend of mine did that with a play, and got fired for it.
zabird
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby withahip » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:43 pm

Mr. Brian wrote:The first time I heard the Pixies I knew that a corner had been turned musically and the 80's were indeed over. I had never heard anything like this before.

The Pixies were opening for Love and Rockets around my area in the late 80's and a lot of people I knew were primarily going for this new band called the Pixies. I hadn't heard them yet. .

A band originally from Buffalo that moved to Boston was often cited for having taken the Pixies thing a little too sincerely.

Tugboat Annie.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:09 pm

Great interview with Frank Black. Best line

Q. Do you listen to your own music?
A. Only when I masturbate.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8wz4CC3Pq24&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8wz4CC3Pq24&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby Seven Seas » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:18 pm

Seen them when they did 4 sold out nights in the City but, I went also too, to the Camden, NJ gig earlier that year. It was fantastic. Frank Black is awesome & Kim Deal rocks on the bass.....Just can't beat that song, Velouria.
Seven Seas

Postby withahip » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:58 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKBAALd4zU8[/youtube]

Your verdict Black Francis?
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:02 pm

FREE BLACK FRANCIS BIG ISSUE SHOW!

The Pixies frontman and leader is back out on the road, this time using his Black Francis moniker.

He will play an exclusive show for The Big Issue on Sunday Feb 10 at the magazine distribution office, 107 Saltmarket, Glasgow.

To hear some Pixies classics up close and personal by the man who wrote them, just come along.
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby Kounelaki » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:31 am

Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:50 pm

Review of the Svn Fngrs mini album

A new mini album released under one of Frank Black’s many monikers brings no surprises. But I guess that is because we know to expect controlled caustic chaos – the mystery is in what form it arrives. Black Francis’ SVN FNGRS was recorded in just six days, and the urgency really comes across on record. It sounds as raw as a squealing pig to the slaughter and stings like fresh operation scars in a hot bath – to coin a couple of phrases. Schizoid-Shellac-esque rock is awfully common these days what with the Pixies reunion sparking off signings of dodgy rip-off bands left right and centre, but the pure energy and class of this highly regarded songwriter makes it a-okay that he is still churning out the tunes.

http://beardedmagazine.co.uk/wp/?p=34

Crunchy opener ‘The Seus’ is classic Frank Black. A stumbling rhythm and assorted voices - all Black - together with a lovely little melody which breaks up the raucous robotic ranting… wonky lyrics sung with outspokenness only Black could get away with. The guitar hook is instantly recognisable as being penned by a Pixie. ‘Garbage Heap’ is a nice little ditty about love in the world of refuge. ‘I Sent Away’ sounds like Yield-era Pearl Jam in their most punky mood. ‘Seven Fingers ‘clocks in at under two minutes and reminds of Violent Femme, Gordon Gano, in full-on rantmode. All tracks come and go in a flash, but it’s the jarring, angular awkwardness that stays with you long after this tiny album is over.

Deliciously lo-fi and every one a killer song, Black Francis is an essential side-project for this very abundant writer. Black emulates his many personalities across a mere twenty minutes and it’s a joy to hear. He may be extremely prolific, and he seems to write his tunes with reckless abandon – but there is definitely something more calculated going on here. It’s charming, witty and undeniably Frank Black. What more could you want?

Suzi Ireland
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby JackT » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:52 pm

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:16 pm

Listening to the Shins again I see
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby JackT » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:44 pm

Always !
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:40 pm

When I told you I liked the Shins...I lied. I just wanted us to have more things in common so you'd like me more. I was telling the truth about rainbows though.
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby withahip » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:15 pm

Frank Black is huge.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby zabird » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:06 pm

black francis wrote:When I told you I liked the Shins...I lied. I just wanted us to have more things in common so you'd like me more. I was telling the truth about rainbows though.

and unicorns :razz:
zabird
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby tonywojo » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:40 pm

[quote="Mr. Brian"]The first time I heard the Pixies I knew that a corner had been turned musically and the 80's were indeed over. I had never heard anything like this before.

spot on
tonywojo
Über Fan
Über Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Gods Will Be Gods