Nick Cave Conference....July 2008

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

Nick Cave Conference....July 2008

Postby Seven Seas » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:47 pm

http://www.wmin.ac.uk/sshl/page-682

NICK CAVE CONFERENCE

UNIVERSITY OF WESTMINSTER, SATURDAY 5th JULY 2008

The University of Westminster will host a one-day international conference on the work of acclaimed Australian singer-songwriter Nick Cave in July 2008. Cave is one of the most critically admired songwriters and performers of our time; his extensive body of work, produced over thirty years, ranges from the cacophonous intensity of The Birthday Party to the hushed reverence of The Good Son, and from the savagery of Murder Ballads to the melancholia of The Boatman’s Call. His latest album with his long-term musical collaborators, The Bad Seeds, Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!, will be released in March 2008. He has also worked very successfully in other genres, including fiction, scriptwriting, and acting. Speakers at the conference include:

Charlie Blake (Liverpool Hope University): ‘Cruel Wisdom: Nick Cave, Archaic Violence, and the Perversity of Song’.

Isabella van Elferen (Utrecht University): ‘Mediating the Uncanny: Nick Cave’s Gothic Modalities’.

Nick Groom (University of Exeter): ‘’Executioner-Style’’: Nick Cave and the Murder Ballad Tradition’.

Rebecca Johinke (University of Sydney): ‘’Welcome to Hell’: the Rhetorics of Masculine Violence in Ghosts of the Civil Dead’.

Paul Lumsden (Grant MacEwan College, Edmonton): ‘’The College Professor Says it’: Using Nick Cave’s Lyrics in the College Classroom’.

Emma McEvoy (University of Westminster) and Catherine Spooner (Lancaster University): ‘’Now They’ve Changed Their Tune’: Nick Cave’s Appropriations of American Folk Traditions’.

Nathan Wiseman-Trowse (University of Northampton): ‘Oedipus Wrecks: Cave and the Presley Myth’.

Attendance at the conference is free, but places are strictly limited. To reserve a place, please e-mail the conference organiser, Dr John Baker, on bakerj@westminster.ac.uk.

Dr John H. Baker

Department of English & Linguistics

University of Westminster

Tel: 0207-911-5000, x. 2367
Seven Seas

Postby Red » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:38 am

i didn't know you were into Nick Cave! how long have you been a fan?

pity i won't be in London in July....this sounds interesting!

just curious, how many people on this forum have read his novel?
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Blackheathen » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:28 am

Red wrote:just curious, how many people on this forum have read his novel?

I did a long long long time ago. Can't remember much about it now, except that I liked it a lot. I guess it's time to read it again.
Blackheathen

Postby Seven Seas » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:04 am

Red wrote:i didn't know you were into Nick Cave! how long have you been a fan?

pity i won't be in London in July....this sounds interesting!

I've been a fan since I seen them at Lollapollooza 1994 in Philly. They put on a great gig.

I got into The Birthday Party too, around the same time as Mercury Rev, Inspiral Carpets & The Wedding Present, introduced by a friend for both.

You?
Seven Seas

Postby Red » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:09 am

been a fan since 1992 when Henry's Dream came out...
had never checked him out prior to that and when the hubby was working at a record shop he brought home a freebie promo of it and i LOVED it! couldn't get into the Birthday Party at that time tho....then for some reason i never got any more of his records (because i was too busy trying to catch up on V.U. and Cohen and loads of others) and then when the Boatman's Call came out i loved that one just as much as Henry's Dream, so i went to a local shop and bought Nick's entire catalog within a few weeks....(coz every time i heard another album i was stunned! and had to have more!) when there were no more albums to buy, i got my Birthday Party best of back off the shelf and LOVED it!! :lol: i think after getting to know all his other stuff, i was able to understand that stuff a little better. anything he does is pretty much glorious!! :mrgreen:
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Red » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:10 am

Blackheathen wrote:I did a long long long time ago. Can't remember much about it now, except that I liked it a lot. I guess it's time to read it again.

yeah, i just read it again for the 3rd or 4th time a few months ago.
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby withahip » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:11 am

Red wrote:

I have. It made me expect too much from There Will Be Blood.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Seven Seas » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:59 pm

withahip wrote:I have. It made me expect too much from There Will Be Blood.

Seen that & No Country For Old Men last night...sorry but, big disappointment for both...

Now, for Nick Cave & The Birthday Party....that's another story.
Seven Seas

Postby Red » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:26 pm

withahip wrote:I have. It made me expect too much from There Will Be Blood.

what's that? i think i missed something....somewhere.....? :neutral:
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Return to Gods Will Be Gods