Best Uk City For Music

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

The most concistent Uk City for producing great bands is

Liverpool
18%
London
27%
Glasgow
9%
Manchester
45%
Birmingham
No votes
Cardiff
No votes

Total votes : 11

Postby electrabunny » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:55 pm

Sounds like Chicago! :lol:
When I lived there, there were 2 gun shootings less than a block away from where I lived - and my neighborhood was actually nice, lots of new condos, walking distance to some nice restaurants and bars. I guess it was the fact that the public high school down the street was full of gangs.
That was one of the reasons I moved away - besides the horrible winters!
electrabunny

Postby insanejane » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:01 pm

Sounds like L.A. too. The gangs, I mean. But the good thing is, "it never rains in California"! :confused: wtf?

I'd have to go with Seven Seas on both....... the bands from Manchester AND moving to Liverpool.
insanejane

Postby Red » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:48 pm

Mr. Brian wrote: then I would have to go with Manchester. The Bee Gees are from there, come on!

they moved to Australia when they were kids! so technically, you can't really call them a manchester band! can you! :lol:
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby blinkilite » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:53 pm

Red wrote:they moved to Australia when they were kids! so technically, you can't really call them a manchester band! can you! :lol:

:eek:
why do you know so much about the Bee Gees? is there something you aren't telling us?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
not just another drop in the ocean
blinkilite

Postby JackT » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:54 pm

blinkilite wrote::eek:
why do you know so much about the Bee Gees? is there something you aren't telling us?

If you're fixin' to bad-mouth the Bee Gees, you better take a deep breath 'cause there's 'bout to be trouble up in here.
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby zabird » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:14 pm

JackT wrote:If you're fixin' to bad-mouth the Bee Gees, you better take a deep breath 'cause there's 'bout to be trouble up in here.

which bee gees? the young "run to me" lads, the "stayin' alive" disco gods, or both? :smile:

I'm not a big disco fan, but that opening scene in Saturday Night Fever is one of the all-time greats.

even the aliens think so:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vOvuZFNNAWo&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vOvuZFNNAWo&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
zabird
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby JackT » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:19 pm

zabird wrote:which bee gees? the young "run to me" lads, the "stayin' alive" disco gods, or both? :smile:

Fair question. It would be the latter, basically.
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Red » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:43 pm

blinkilite wrote::eek:

i went to high school in the late 70's! big disco era! they were plastered all over the radio......ya can't help but know! :lol:
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Red » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:45 pm

JackT wrote:If you're fixin' to bad-mouth the Bee Gees, you better take a deep breath 'cause there's 'bout to be trouble up in here.

:lol:

i actually preferred Grease over Saturday Night Fever.
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby zabird » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:04 am

Red wrote::lol:

i actually preferred Grease over Saturday Night Fever.

Ask and ye shall receive :razz:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_whyjdt5Qso&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_whyjdt5Qso&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
zabird
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby insanejane » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:44 pm

zabird wrote:Ask and ye shall receive :razz:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_whyjdt5Qso&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_whyjdt5Qso&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Imagine how incredibly long that took to make!!? I like the ones with no hair or hats :lol:

England has given the world SO many great bands. Charlatans UK are from Manchester, right? And New Order. But not Blur, another great one.
insanejane

Postby zabird » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:02 pm

Buzzcocks, Magazine, Joy Division, the Fall, Oasis, Morrissey & the Smiths, the Verve, Happy Mondays, the Stone Roses, not to mention Freddie and the Dreamers, the Hollies and Hermin's Hermits! pretty good collection :smile:
zabird
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby insanejane » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:35 am

zabird wrote:Buzzcocks, Magazine, Joy Division, the Fall, Oasis, Morrissey & the Smiths, the Verve, Happy Mondays, the Stone Roses, not to mention Freddie and the Dreamers, the Hollies and Hermin's Hermits! pretty good collection :smile:

And Roxy, the English Beat, the Specials, Yardbirds, Procol Harum,Haircut 100

I see the Verve are playing Coachella this year
insanejane

Postby zabird » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:20 am

insanejane wrote:And Roxy, the English Beat, the Specials, Yardbirds, Procol Harum,Haircut 100

ahhh, love the specials. saw them in 1980. an incredible show. they were supposed to open for the Police, but Sting & Co. never showed up, so the Specials did their show twice.
zabird
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Lancashire Fusileer » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:48 am

none come close for quality, variety, and value to watching gigs in "The Randstad" in Holland, cheaper too. Atmosphere aint as good maybe but no wanker bouncers or getting ripped off.
older by the day
Lancashire Fusileer

PreviousNext

Return to Gods Will Be Gods