The Beatles thread

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

Postby JackT » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:59 pm

Fish Hook Girl wrote:Really? That kind of stuff never happens anywhere else..... :wink:

I think The Beatles were important for helping to change/influence the direction music took way back when. But I don't have any of their recordings (apart from the Bunnymen's version of Ticket To Ride) on my mp3 player. So there. Image

You must also have the bunnymen's cover of "All You Need Is Love."

"Ticket to Ride" is a great, great song.
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Fish Hook Girl » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:01 pm

JackT wrote:You must also have the bunnymen's cover of "All You Need Is Love."

"Ticket to Ride" is a great, great song.

Oh yeah. That one too! And yes, Ticket To Ride is a great song.
Fish Hook Girl

Postby withahip » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:24 pm

JackT wrote:How is what "people" do something to dislike about the Beatles? The hype is not their music, nor is the action of said people, and neither is the pedestal. None of that has anything to do with the music.

What you are saying is you dislike the Beatles because they are popular (although you seem to also be criticizing them for being unpopular i.e. cutout bin). You think you are being an independant free thinker, but you are allowing the crowd to influence you just as surely as a follower does.

Dude, like whoa!

withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby withahip » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:36 pm

insanejane wrote:I don't like love songs especially ones like "just another silly love song" Just my opinion.

Do you know why he wrote that? Bitter John said, "The world doesn't need anymore silly loves songs" in an interview after the Beatles broke up taking a slam at Paul. That was Paul's rebuttal.

I always admired John for ditching his first wife and son. You know - turning his back on them and then writing songs about peace and love.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:57 am

withahip wrote:Do you know why he wrote that? Bitter John said, "The world doesn't need anymore silly loves songs" in an interview after the Beatles broke up taking a slam at Paul. That was Paul's rebuttal.

I always admired John for ditching his first wife and son. You know - turning his back on them and then writing songs about peace and love.

yeah there was a lot of bitterness between Paul and John at that time. The song "How Do You Sleep?" was filled with digs against Paul:

"The only thing you done was yesterday/And since you've gone you're just another day."

"Those freaks was right when they said you was dead"

Those jabs were in response to McCartney's Ram album that Lennon felt had lyrical references to him and Yoko. John even parodied Paul's Ram cover by holding a pig

His neglect of Julian, while it was there, is exaggerated or at least forgiven...

"The first five years, even though John was on tour, he always came back to Julian and, of course, after the divorce John moved to America and he didn't see him for a while, but there was constant contact...always constant. There were phone calls. There were presents. There was as much as John could do at the time. I think that in many interviews that Julian's had all that comes across is love, and he had a marvelous relationship even though it was at a distance. You know, John was in the States, and Julian was at home with me. It was difficult at first following the divorce, but slowly it built up and it was really building up beautifully before he lost his father. It's a great tragedy because they would have been great pals, and they would have jammed together and had a wonderful time."
- Cynthia Lennon

He wasn't a great father. He was a great musician. That's always been a touchy one, and it will be until I can find the answer, but I don't know if there is one.
- Julian Lennon
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby withahip » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:15 pm

admin wrote:
His neglect of Julian, while it was there, is exaggerated or at least forgiven...

didn't Julian take a full page ad out in a British newspaper on Father's Day to express his views (ie bitterness) about his Dad?
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:42 pm

withahip wrote:didn't Julian take a full page ad out in a British newspaper on Father's Day to express his views (ie bitterness) about his Dad?

I've never heard that before but from what I've read he made amends with John Lennon prior to his death. Father of the year he aint.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby insanejane » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:55 pm

withahip wrote:Do you know why he wrote that? Bitter John said, "The world doesn't need anymore silly loves songs" in an interview after the Beatles broke up taking a slam at Paul. That was Paul's rebuttal.

The song still sucks.

I love the "Imagine" and "Plastic Ono Band" LPs even though there's a lot of anger

Probably at least half the rock musicians don't make good fathers or husbands
insanejane

Postby Mr. Brian » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:56 pm

insanejane wrote:The song still sucks.

I love the "Imagine" and "Plastic Ono Band" LPs even though there's a lot of anger

Oh there's anger. Lennon's first album, Plastic Ono Band, was the result of his Primal Therapy treatment in which you relive childhood pain and trauma in the belief that this will help you find your true needs. Other people just bought mood rings I guess.

It's my favorite Lennon album. I'm glad he didn't buy the mood ring. Maybe Paul did. :lol:

Lennon's second album, Imagine, also had those Primal Therapy elements but not entirely.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby moses (2) » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:19 am

wiow first its BONO basking now its beetle bashing

I do not have an opinion on the beetles - it is hard to as to me they are a bit like Rain or air or petrol or nursery rhymes -- they are just there -- just like Elvis and the beach boys are ...

The question is are they still relevent today?
moses (2)

Postby withahip » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:10 am

insanejane wrote:

Yeah, but they are not presented as exemplars as how to live our lives.

"If only there were no possession." Ever see John's house? You can see the Lennon Estate in the intro.

But to be fair "Don't confuse the artist with the art."

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cR9Pyyd2FE[/youtube]
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby insanejane » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:07 pm

moses (2) wrote:wiow first its BONO basking now its beetle bashing

I do not have an opinion on the beetles - it is hard to as to me they are a bit like Rain or air or petrol or nursery rhymes -- they are just there -- just like Elvis and the beach boys are ...

The question is are they still relevent today?

I think Elvis sucked but yes, he is still relevant today. That woman recently died waiting outside of Graceland on, was it the last anniversary of his death?

I never loved the Beatles but I HATE what Elvis did to them. Working with Nixon to get this whole witch hunt going. I blame Elvis in a big way for John getting killed. I really think our govt. did it because they were tailing John for so long. The guy they arrested was just the fall guy.
insanejane

Postby withahip » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:02 pm

Oh, and I agree. Paul's solo stuff 99% sucks.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby withahip » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:55 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU9OoCyFfr0&feature=related[/youtube]
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby happy_loss » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:15 am

Dr Cheese wrote:You've gotta love the old joke about Ringo :

"Is Ringo the best drummer in the world?"

"Ringo isn't the best drummer in The Beatles!"

After playing drums for over 18 years, I truly feel that Ringo is one of the best drummers, ever. His deal was never speed, flash, or intricacy, but "feel". I seriously doubt many could sit down and copy all of his parts exactly b/c his feel is so special. I'm sure this partly has due with the fact that he's lefty, plays a right handed kit, but starts most of his fills w/his left hand. On top of that, he just flat out grooves. Those fills in "A day in the life" or "strawberry fields"........awesome!!!

On a Bunnymen related note, I recall a quote from Macca, somewhere along the lines of: "after the Beatles, a lot of bands, especially from Liverpool, were all compared to us...like Echo and the Bunnymen, they're a great band who sometimes weren't judged solely on their own merits"............something like that, that's paraphrased. I haven't been able to find the exact quote again.

everyone take care and have a great new year!
happy_loss

PreviousNext

Return to Gods Will Be Gods