The Beatles thread

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

Postby Mr. Brian » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:59 pm

Ringo only solely penned 2 songs in the Beatles, Don't Pass Me By and Octopus' Garden. He did that with George's help and also used George's help with songwriting during his solo years. Yellow Submarine and With A Little Help.. were written by Lennon-McCartney but mostly by Paul.

It is true that some of his parts on the White Album were re-recorded by Paul. But that was fairly common during those sessions. Those guys would come in separately and record their own tracks and work in different studios with different engineers on their own schedules. On the Anthology series where Paul George and Ringo are listening to a track in the studio making comments, one of them asks, who played bass or guitar on this? George remarks with a look of half disdain half laughing, "it was Paul, it was all Paul! Listen to it!". Something like that. Ringo wrote Octopus' Garden during the 2 weeks he quit during the White Album recordings until they begged him to come back.
Last edited by Mr. Brian on Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby insanejane » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:14 pm

JackT wrote:If you don't like the Beatles, it hardly matters which songs are your leasts favorite, does it? I think it's a little odd to have 20 least favorite songs from any band. In any case, it does not merit the :eek: emoticon.

I agree with CD.

The problem I've always had with the Beatles is that I've ever only liked HALF the band. That's never happened to me before with ANY other band. :eek:
insanejane

Postby insanejane » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:17 pm

zabird wrote:when I think of Paul from now on, I will think of Paul as portrayed by Jack Black in "Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story" :razz:

I want to see that movie. Mostly because I hear Jackson has a very small part. I get a lot of grief for liking his music. And I don't like half the Beatles. Ha! It doesn't make sense. :confused:
insanejane

Postby crystal daze » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:18 pm

JackT wrote:I love Harrison's songs. My favorite is "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." Ringo's songs are the goofy ones, like "Octopus's Garden" and "Yellow Submarine". He did sing "With a Little Help From my Friends", though.

:eek: I've just managed to list Crystal Daze's 21st-24th least favorite Beatles songs!

Not quite. I like what I've heard of George's stuff although I haven't gone out of my way to listen extensively. I borrowed some of his CDs from a friend recently but haven't had a chance to listen yet. I like While My Guitar Gently Weeps but Awaiting On You All my favourite out of what I've heard. I contemplated having the 'You don't need a horoscope or a microscope to see the mess that you're in' line as my siggie a while ago but couldn't be arsed changing it - I might do it tomorrow now that you've reminded me, thanks.

I have liked the odd Beatles song here and there, Tomorrow Never Knows is the only one that springs to mind right now, but its late and I've a busting head so I can't remember much about much right now.
There's times when I've been deeply indifferent
crystal daze

Postby JackT » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:47 pm

crystal daze wrote:Tomorrow Never Knows is the only one that springs to mind right now,

That's probably in my top 10. Great Lennon song off a great album.
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby insanejane » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:55 pm

I still like "There's a Place" and "The Night Before"
insanejane

Postby zabird » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:46 pm

insanejane wrote:I want to see that movie. Mostly because I hear Jackson has a very small part. I get a lot of grief for liking his music. And I don't like half the Beatles. Ha! It doesn't make sense. :confused:

yup, jackson browne in it. lyle lovett. Jack White too.

I always liked the Stones way better than the Beatles. That's the pre mid-70s Stones. What I dislike about the Beatles is the hype, and how people put them on a pedestal like they're gods or something. Pu-leez! The other day, a friend was comparing them to Shakespeare. He claims that in 500 years, the only rock band people will still know of is the Beatles. I hope not! :mad:

After the Beatles broke up, their albums were in the cutout bin at the local Woolworth's.
zabird
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby JackT » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:18 am

zabird wrote:After the Beatles broke up, their albums were in the cutout bin at the local Woolworth's.

Not sure what the significance of that is supposed to be.....

What I dislike about the Beatles is the hype, and how people put them on a pedestal like they're gods or something.

How is what "people" do something to dislike about the Beatles? The hype is not their music, nor is the action of said people, and neither is the pedestal. None of that has anything to do with the music.

What you are saying is you dislike the Beatles because they are popular (although you seem to also be criticizing them for being unpopular i.e. cutout bin). You think you are being an independant free thinker, but you are allowing the crowd to influence you just as surely as a follower does.
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby zabird » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:56 pm

JackT wrote:How is what "people" do something to dislike about the Beatles? The hype is not their music, nor is the action of said people, and neither is the pedestal. None of that has anything to do with the music.

What you are saying is you dislike the Beatles because they are popular (although you seem to also be criticizing them for being unpopular i.e. cutout bin). You think you are being an independant free thinker, but you are allowing the crowd to influence you just as surely as a follower does.

Jack, Jack, Jack ... jesus, the cutout bin observation wasn't a comment on their popularity or not, it was just an observation that post-breakup, they wound up there. Woolworths' thinking, I guess ... they broke up, nobody's gonna buy their records now, so dump 'em in the cutout bin.
zabird
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby JackT » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:35 pm

zabird wrote:Jack, Jack, Jack ... jesus, the cutout bin observation wasn't a comment on their popularity or not, it was just an observation that post-breakup, they wound up there. Woolworths' thinking, I guess ... they broke up, nobody's gonna buy their records now, so dump 'em in the cutout bin.

Ah, I see. You switched the train of thought and it confused me.
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:12 pm

zabird wrote:Jack, Jack, Jack ... jesus, the cutout bin observation wasn't a comment on their popularity or not, it was just an observation that post-breakup, they wound up there. Woolworths' thinking, I guess ... they broke up, nobody's gonna buy their records now, so dump 'em in the cutout bin.

Didn't Ringo go on to become a hairdresser? Sorry I had to get this thread back to the original off topic again.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby withahip » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:44 pm

I once posted a link some guy's tirade and hatred of the Beatles on the 'ficial site. Some member really really, like really, got upset.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/art ... ture.shtml

Compare that to say Dylan's majestic Blonde On Blonde or Marvin Gaye's achingly heartfelt What's Going On, both from roughly the same era, and tell me which is the masterpiece.

The fact that so many superior artists were overlooked because so much attention was focused on the Fab Four is another reason to try and redress that balance.

That is all.
Last edited by withahip on Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby archivistmgc » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:57 pm

insanejane wrote:Sorry, but I never liked Paul's stuff. I thought he wrote sh*t when he was on his own. John and George on their own, I could listen to. I don't like love songs especially ones like "just another silly love song" Just my opinion.
I don't wish anyone like Paul and Ringo dead, I just wish John and George could have lived longer. I feel they would have kept contributing to the industry.

George Harrison was my favorite Beatle and I love much of his solo material. There were a few songs that were duds but I prefer his and John's post-Beatles music over Paul's. Agree that while in the Beatles, Paul wrote some great music.

I really like The Traveling Wilburys and George's last album. Brainwashed is very moving in that it was recorded so near his impending death that he knew was inevitable. George and John created more music post-Beatles that I can listen to than Paul or Ringo did.

I too wish George and John weren't the ones who had to go first. I didn't see the whole Morning Show, but from what I did see and what I have read of your reviews, Ringo was a bit annoying and obnoxious. Still, I hope he outlasts Paul and will be the last Beatle.
Page one of the pamphlet
archivistmgc

Postby Red » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:14 pm

zabird wrote:

After the Beatles broke up, their albums were in the cutout bin at the local Woolworth's.

jack wrote:

Not sure what the significance of that is supposed to be.....

yeah, just coz something is in the bargain bin doesn't mean it's crap! i've seen bunnymen stuff in the bargain bins too.....and we all know that shouldn't be! :evil:
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Fish Hook Girl » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:52 pm

withahip wrote:I once posted a link and tirade about some guy's hatred of the Beatles on the 'ficial site. Some member really really, like really, got upset.

Really? That kind of stuff never happens anywhere else..... :wink:

I think The Beatles were important for helping to change/influence the direction music took way back when. But I don't have any of their recordings (apart from the Bunnymen's version of Ticket To Ride) on my mp3 player. So there. Image
Fish Hook Girl

PreviousNext

Return to Gods Will Be Gods