The Beatles thread

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

The Beatles thread

Postby insanejane » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:05 pm

note from Admin: Topic was split from http://forum.villiersterrace.com/viewtopic.php?t=336 which was getting long and way off topic

zabird wrote:maybe those hounddog looks??? Plus, he's a BEATLE. They walk on water in a lot of circles :rolleyes:

I'm not a big Beatles fan but never understood why the two who wrote decent, meaningful lyrics had to go and we got stuck with Paul and Ringo? :confused:
insanejane

Postby Red » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:11 pm

insanejane wrote:I'm not a big Beatles fan but never understood why the two who wrote decent, meaningful lyrics had to go and we got stuck with Paul and Ringo? :confused:

:eek:
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dr Cheese » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:20 am

You've gotta love the old joke about Ringo :

"Is Ringo the best drummer in the world?"

"Ringo isn't the best drummer in The Beatles!"
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:36 am

insanejane wrote:I'm not a big Beatles fan but never understood why the two who wrote decent, meaningful lyrics had to go and we got stuck with Paul and Ringo? :confused:

Yeah that McCartney was always holding the Beatles back with his 20 Top Ten singles and that Yesterday song being the most covered song of all time and his sales of 100 million singles and 60 gold discs with the Beatles and as a solo artist. Who know what they would have achieved without him. What a hack.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby insanejane » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:26 pm

admin wrote:Yeah that McCartney was always holding the Beatles back with his 20 Top Ten singles and that Yesterday song being the most covered song of all time and his sales of 100 million singles and 60 gold discs with the Beatles and as a solo artist. Who know what they would have achieved without him. What a hack.

Sorry, but I never liked Paul's stuff. I thought he wrote sh*t when he was on his own. John and George on their own, I could listen to. I don't like love songs especially ones like "just another silly love song" Just my opinion.
I don't wish anyone like Paul and Ringo dead, I just wish John and George could have lived longer. I feel they would have kept contributing to the industry.
insanejane

Postby insanejane » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:28 pm

Anyway, back to the Bunnymen. Did you see the video of Liverpool 8 that Guitarplayer posted on the other forum? It makes up for the Early Show.
insanejane

Postby Mr. Brian » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:04 pm

insanejane wrote:Sorry, but I never liked Paul's stuff. I thought he wrote sh*t when he was on his own. John and George on their own, I could listen to. I don't like love songs especially ones like "just another silly love song" Just my opinion.
I don't wish anyone like Paul and Ringo dead, I just wish John and George could have lived longer. I feel they would have kept contributing to the industry.

i'm def more of a john fan but paul is one of the greatest pop songwriters ever, silly lyrics and all.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JackT » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:20 pm

admin wrote:i'm def more of a john fan but paul is one of the greatest pop songwriters ever, silly lyrics and all.

Definitely. Just SOME of my favorites include:

Yesterday
Hey Jude
Lady Madonna
Penny Lane
Got to Get You into my Life
Here There and Everywhere
Eleanor Rigby
Maybe I'm Amazed
Paperback Writer
Uncle Albert
All My Loving
Blackbird
Drive My Car
For No One
Good Day Sunshine
Long & Winding Road
Michelle
I Saw Her Standing There
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
We Can Work it Out
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby withahip » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:40 pm

Dr Cheese wrote:You've gotta love the old joke about Ringo :

"Is Ringo the best drummer in the world?"

"Ringo isn't the best drummer in The Beatles!"

Actually Paul went back and re-recorded a lot of Ringo's parts especially during the White Album. He came up with the drum part on Ticket To Ride and played the drums on Ballad of John & Yoko and Back in the USSR. This according to Lewisohn's book on the Beatles.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby zabird » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:59 pm

withahip wrote:Actually Paul went back and re-recorded a lot of Ringo's parts especially during the White Album. He came up with the drum part on Ticket To Ride and played the drums on Ballad of John & Yoko and Back in the USSR. This according to Lewisohn's book on the Beatles.

when I think of Paul from now on, I will think of Paul as portrayed by Jack Black in "Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story" :razz:
zabird
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby crystal daze » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:34 pm

JackT wrote:Definitely. Just SOME of my favorites include:

Yesterday
Hey Jude
Lady Madonna
Penny Lane
Got to Get You into my Life
Here There and Everywhere
Eleanor Rigby
Maybe I'm Amazed
Paperback Writer
Uncle Albert
All My Loving
Blackbird
Drive My Car
For No One
Good Day Sunshine
Long & Winding Road
Michelle
I Saw Her Standing There
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
We Can Work it Out

:eek: You managed to list all my least favourite Beatles songs!
There's times when I've been deeply indifferent
crystal daze

Postby JackT » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:59 pm

crystal daze wrote::eek: You managed to list all my least favourite Beatles songs!

If you don't like the Beatles, it hardly matters which songs are your leasts favorite, does it? I think it's a little odd to have 20 least favorite songs from any band. In any case, it does not merit the :eek: emoticon.
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:08 pm

JackT wrote:If you don't like the Beatles, it hardly matters which songs are your leasts favorite, does it? I think it's a little odd to have 20 least favorite songs from any band. In any case, it does not merit the :eek: emoticon.

I got that started for ya
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby black francis » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:54 pm

I'll confess Jack, I like one Beatles song. "Here Comes the Sun". Too bad Harrison didn't to contribute more. Did Ringo write anything considered worthwhile?
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby JackT » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:46 pm

black francis wrote:I'll confess Jack, I like one Beatles song. "Here Comes the Sun". Too bad Harrison didn't to contribute more. Did Ringo write anything considered worthwhile?

I love Harrison's songs. My favorite is "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." Ringo's songs are the goofy ones, like "Octopus's Garden" and "Yellow Submarine". He did sing "With a Little Help From my Friends", though.

:eek: I've just managed to list Crystal Daze's 21st-24th least favorite Beatles songs!
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Next

Return to Gods Will Be Gods