Ya loved now hate - vice versa . .

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

Ya loved now hate - vice versa . .

Postby withahip » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:47 pm

Hated Sinatra and Martin since I was a little kid.

Years ago I picked up a Dino greatest hits and loved it. Two years ago I came to like Sinatra.

Used to love a band called The Tragically Hip and now I don't care if I ever hear them again. (Well, that's not totally true.)

Your turn. . . .

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZwm_OKh6bw&feature=related[/youtube]
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Re: Ya loved now hate - vice versa . .

Postby zabird » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:20 am

Never heard of The Tragically Hip, but I like their name :razz:

Like I said in the other thread, I hated country when I was a kid, altho it was fun to watch Porter Wagoner's show -- those Nudie suits were something else :razz:

Oddly enough, I started getting into country after punk came along. It opened my eyes and ears to a lot of other possibilities.

Here's my favorite country band ... well, Western Swing, actually:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kazGR-ihcfQ&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kazGR-ihcfQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

"Best in the West"
zabird
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby withahip » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:58 am

zabird wrote:Never heard of The Tragically Hip, but I like their name :razz:

I like the tune you posted above.

Can I get you to watch this?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxB6zfoWf9M[/youtube]
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:02 am

zabird wrote:
Like I said in the other thread, I hated country when I was a kid, altho it was fun to watch Porter Wagoner's show -- those Nudie suits were something else :razz:

Oddly enough, I started getting into country after punk came along. It opened my eyes and ears to a lot of other possibilities.

Here's my favorite country band ... well, Western Swing, actually

But that's the good country music not to be confused with this "young country" pop music where they fake a southern accent and dance around like Britney Spears
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Brian » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:09 am

There is a lot of that old standard stuff like Sinatra and Dean Martin that I like that now too. When you are young it seems natural to dislike anything from your parents generation, especially if it was not rock and roll. Although I am getting tired of Tony Bennett showing up everywhere. Bob Dylan was another one I didn't "get" until I was about 40 and saw that Scorsese documentary.

There were bands I saw when I was in high school and had albums of that I don't care to ever see again like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. I guess I don't hate them, it's just that I outgrew them. I don't watch Sesame Street anymore either if you catch my drift.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JackT » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:04 am

Can you please stop putting Sinatra and Dean Martin in the same sentence like they were in the same category or something? The were not.

I am also fond of some country music. Willie Nelson comes to mind. I also like Bluegrass.
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:09 am

JackT wrote:Can you please stop putting Sinatra and Dean Martin in the same sentence like they were in the same category or something? The were not.

I am also fond of some country music. Willie Nelson comes to mind. I also like Bluegrass.

I know they weren't but they were part of the Rat Pack and the same generation and perceived by me, at the time, as being old parents music.
Last edited by Mr. Brian on Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby withahip » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:09 pm

JackT wrote:Can you please stop putting Sinatra and Dean Martin in the same sentence like they were in the same category or something? The were not.

I know. Dean Martin just smokes Sinatra.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby insanejane » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:58 pm

withahip wrote:I know. Dean Martin just smokes Sinatra.

I agree. I hate Sinatra. And that's a sacrilege being fron NJ. I always liked Dean and Tony better. Just my opinion.
insanejane

Postby zabird » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:55 am

withahip wrote:I like the tune you posted above.

Can I get you to watch this?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxB6zfoWf9M[/youtube]

I like that ... I heard a little Grateful Dead in there, I think :smile:
zabird
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby zabird » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:09 am

I've never listened much to Sinatra, Dean Martin or Tony Bennett ... my folks were into classical and folk, and they begat 6 rock-loving kids :smile:

One band I never really got into until recently was PiL. Back in the day, one of my Krautrock-loving punk friends tried to sell me on them, but since I held John Lydon personally responsible for the breakup of the Pistols (yes, I know, a really stupid opinion :rolleyes: ), I didn't want to know. Their first two albums were great. I think this is my favorite of their songs:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KpWJRNuLHmM&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KpWJRNuLHmM&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
zabird
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby withahip » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:04 am

P/I/L/'s Public Image tune is amazing. I never considered myself a true fan though because I wasn't really into Flowers of Romance or Second Edition (Metal Box).
To me, thos are the criteria for being a real P/I/L/ fan.

:surprised:
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Return to Gods Will Be Gods