20 least favorite songs by a band you don't like

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

20 least favorite songs by a band you don't like

Postby Mr. Brian » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:07 pm

http://forum.villiersterrace.com/viewto ... =5039#5039

:lol:

I don't think i could name 2 Dave Mathews Band songs much less 20.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JackT » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:25 pm

lol
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Re: 20 least favorite songs by a band you don't like

Postby Red » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:11 pm

admin wrote:http://forum.villiersterrace.com/viewtopic.php?p=5039#5039

:lol:

I don't think i could name 2 Dave Mathews Band songs much less 20.

hahahha yeah.....i mean, if i don't like a band, i usually don't know anything by them! (other than the shit they might have on the radio!) nevermind TWENTY songs!
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby crystal daze » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:08 pm

With the Beatles those 20 songs very often ARE the shit that's on the radio, or at least were when I was younger, I don't listen much now. They are a wee bit harder to get away from than most other bands.
There's times when I've been deeply indifferent
crystal daze

Postby insanejane » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:48 pm

I'd have to say anything by Journey, Aerosmith or Rush or any Southern rock band but like Red said, I don't know their song names.
insanejane

Postby zabird » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:57 pm

insanejane wrote:I'd have to say anything by Journey, Aerosmith or Rush or any Southern rock band but like Red said, I don't know their song names.

ugh ... the nightmare music of my high school days :eek: add to that list anything by Foreigner, Boston, Peter Frampton and the prog triumverate: Yes, ELP and Genesis.

Insane Jane, you wouldn't be talkin' about those two fine, fine Lynyrd Skynyrd hits ... Free Bird and Sweet Home Alabama, would ya? The last time I was in my favorite pub, one of the waiters kicked the jukebox when Free Bird came on :mrgreen:
zabird
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby blinkilite » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:00 am

zabird wrote:Insane Jane, you wouldn't be talkin' about those two fine, fine Lynyrd Skynyrd hits ... Free Bird and Sweet Home Alabama, would ya?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLltP8T_tj8[/youtube]
not just another drop in the ocean
blinkilite

Postby JackT » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:15 am

insanejane wrote:
I'd have to say anything by Journey, Aerosmith or Rush or any Southern rock band but like Red said, I don't know their song names.

ugh ... the nightmare music of my high school days icon_eek add to that list anything by Foreigner, Boston, Peter Frampton and the prog triumverate: Yes, ELP and Genesis.

re: Rush: There probably have been few band with as much raw musical talent as Rush had/has. In addition to putting out a lot of great songs, Neil Peart is maybe the greatest rock drummer ever.

re:Boston: Tom Scholz was a genius and Brad Delp was an amazing vocal talent.
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:35 am

JackT wrote: Neil Peart is maybe the greatest rock drummer ever.

That is what we were brought up to believe in Trawna. It might be true.
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:43 am

Sometimes it is difficult to separate the contributions of a band and our dislike for a particular type of music or band or it's over exuberant fans. I'm not a Jimi Hendrix fan, I don't own any CD's but he certainly contributed to and influenced a great many people. He doesn't "suck" because he's not my thing.

Steve Perry of Journey could really sing and bands like that are not bands I seek out but some songs of their's fall into that "guilty pleasure" category I suppose. They certainly were adept at their instruments and could write catchy hooks. It is easy to mock some of their work, but usually that happened later when they were at the end of the crest of their career.

It's funny, for a long time you could not find any disco or lite rock fans in the 80's or Journey and hair metal fans in the 90's, etc but they sold millions and millions of records in the previous decade. I'm not saying that because they sold millions that made them "good" but they certainly had redeeming qualities about them to appeal to so many people.

I can't believe I defended Journey and disco!
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JackT » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:53 am

admin wrote:Sometimes it is difficult to separate the contributions of a band and our dislike for a particular type of music or band or it's over exuberant fans. I'm not a Jimi Hendrix fan, I don't own any CD's but he certainly contributed to and influenced a great many people. He doesn't "suck" because he's not my thing.

Steve Perry of Journey could really sing and bands like that are not bands I seek out but some songs of their's fall into that "guilty pleasure" category I suppose. They certainly were adept at their instruments and could write catchy hooks. It is easy to mock some of their work, but usually that happened later when they were at the end of the crest of their career.

It's funny, for a long time you could not find any disco or lite rock fans in the 80's or Journey and hair metal fans in the 90's, etc but they sold millions and millions of records. I'm not saying that because they sold millions that made them "good" but they certainly had redeeming qualities about them to appeal to so many people.

I can't believe I defended Journey and disco!

I was going to make a similar point about Steve Perry. (The guy could really friggin sing, there's no real way to dispute that.)

What you said about record sales is true: just because you sell a lot of records, doesn't mean you're good. However, it doesn't mean you're bad, either. Unfortunately, there is many a self-styled sophisticate who forgets that point.

Regarding Disco, some of it was actually brilliant. I'm thinking of Donna Summer in particular, who created what amounted to early techno. The "Saturday Night Fever " soundtrack was also a very good album.
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby insanejane » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:05 pm

zabird wrote:ugh ... the nightmare music of my high school days :eek: add to that list anything by Foreigner, Boston, Peter Frampton and the prog triumverate: Yes, ELP and Genesis.

Insane Jane, you wouldn't be talkin' about those two fine, fine Lynyrd Skynyrd hits ... Free Bird and Sweet Home Alabama, would ya? The last time I was in my favorite pub, one of the waiters kicked the jukebox when Free Bird came on :mrgreen:

Yes I would!! HAHA :lol:
insanejane

Postby insanejane » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:09 pm

blinkilite wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLltP8T_tj8[/youtube]

I'm ordering that!
insanejane

Postby zabird » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:05 pm

admin wrote:I can't believe I defended Journey and disco!

it's ok, it'll be our little secret :wink:
zabird
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby insanejane » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:34 pm

zabird wrote:it's ok, it'll be our little secret :wink:

Steve Perry.............the hair, the clothes

What's not to like? :eek: :lol:
insanejane

Next

Return to Gods Will Be Gods