The Wild Swans - new album and tour in 08

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

The Wild Swans - new album and tour in 08

Postby Scouser » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:23 am

The 80's reformation bandwagon has another member (or should that be rider?). Hot on the heels of The Pale Fountains get together comes the Wild Swans reunion (line up unconfirmed but likely to be only Paul Simpson I reckon). We have been promised a tour and "new material".

I have alot of respect for Paul Simpson's work (well, maybe not Space Flower) but some things are better left in the past. The early Swans material was up there with the Bunnymen for me (Revolutionary Spirit was drummed on and produced by one Mr De Freitas) and Bill Drummond still maintains it was the best thing ever released on Zoo (despite being in mono).

But a reformation in 2008? I'm not sure. I'll still go and buy the album of course...but the 80's nostalgia bandwagon is starting to reek of desperation. A big part of me is starting to think that of The Crucial Three only Cope has any credibility left. Wylie has reformed Wah! more times than Mac and Will have reformed the Bunnymen. You wouldnt see Cope getting back with Gary Dwyer and David Balfe to play Kilimanjaro from start to finish.

I though Paul Simpson was the same. He's been writing and recording electronica under the Skyray banner for a number of years and more conventional numbers under his own name. Why hitch up The Wild Swans along for the ride other than for cash? Would any more people actually go to the gigs? The likes of me would have gone anyway even if billed as a solo gig (abit like Paul Buchanen of The Blue Nile - when he tours a Nile gig in all but name).

I dont know why the Liverpool post punkers dont just pool their resources and do a Here and Now of their own - Bunnymen, Wah!, Pale Fountains, Wild Swans et al sharing the cost of the PA. Much more profitable.

Actually...that sounds like a great gig...somebody should suggest it. Bet Mac would want top billing.
Mr. Brian, I find that offensive.

Scouser's inability to se others' point of view is rather grating.
Scouser
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Grumpy_Jimbo » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:48 am

Sounds interesting, but I do hold the same reservations with keeping the name "Wild Swans" , but I see that Paul Simpson explains why on his MySpace page http://www.myspace.com/paul__simpson check it out. Anyway I know I will also get the cd and go to concert.....

As for your dream concert Si, I was fortunate enough to chat to Cope after his gig in Glasgow in Jan 2006. He told me that he had been approached by organisers of Liverpool 2008 City Of Culture, to take part in concert to celebrate Erics during the year of culture featuring himself,Wah/Wylie and the Bunnymen plus others no doubt..... He said that he never looks back musically so he would almost certainly decline the offer, interesting to see how Liverpool 2008 remember Erics, I know that Wylie is working on a musical with the Everyman theatre for next yeat ....

Finally better go off and listen to th first Shack album "Zilch" that just been delivered by the postie. My original copy is all scratched etc, thanfully now been reissued at £7.99 and not the mad £30.00 you used to have to pay for the Jap import...

Jimbo
Grumpy_Jimbo

Postby King Of Kings » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:49 pm

Ok the 80s was part of my youth but thats were it belongs.

The Bunnymen and cure not to mention Depeche Mode are still around and sticking to the same fomula but producing new material- thats why I love em

Copey has become an acid head for the second time and moves in which ever direction he so choses- Chaotic but lovable

Pale Fountains, Wild swans, Wha, Lotus Eaters, Icicle works.... are just reinventing themselves but with nothing new to offer. boooooooo

The smiths and Joy division are just repackaged and repackaged

U2 are 2 big 4 their boots and in love with themselves

The Alarm and Simple Minds are lost in time

Big County and the Jam - Reformed but without stuart adamson / Weller- Seriously Mad

Bugger even the inspiral carpets and Happy Mondays have reformed

This is the 21st Centry and its time for a revolution
King Of Kings

Postby moondance » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:10 pm

Grumpy_Jimbo wrote:Finally better go off and listen to th first Shack album "Zilch" that just been delivered by the postie. My original copy is all scratched etc, thanfully now been reissued at £7.99 and not the mad £30.00 you used to have to pay for the Jap import...

Jimbo

I have the Jap import and it's fantastic. It's got lots of extra stuff on it. Interestingly Mick Head mentioned that they are thinking of re-recording this album. I think that they didn't care for the original production but I think it's excellent as it is.
moondance

Re: The Wild Swans - new album and tour in 08

Postby Red » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:48 pm

Scouser wrote:I have alot of respect for Paul Simpson's work (well, maybe not Space Flower)

whoops, i'm gonna name drop again! met him at the LIPA aftershow party. told him i really liked Space Flower, and he smiled and said: 'no one ever mentions that cd to me, but it's one of my favourites.'
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Re: The Wild Swans - new album and tour in 08

Postby withahip » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:10 pm

Red wrote:whoops, i'm gonna name drop again! met him at the LIPA aftershow party. told him i really liked Space Flower, and he smiled and said: 'no one ever mentions that cd to me, but it's one of my favourites.'

Well~ la di da Miss Woman About Town. Working for TMZ, are we?
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby JackT » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:18 pm

I'm SO tired of bunnymen fans always going on about the bunnymen this, and the bunnymen that, and "Oh, I like the bunnymen." It's just sickening.

The worst is when they go to a gig and they say "I heard the bunnymen play a number of songs one after the other", and you're like, grow up already, what are you, 12 years old?
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby withahip » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:28 pm

I especially hate how people on a band's message board, any band's, get excited when they get a chance to meet the band and then . . .I mean this really gets my goat. . .they tell the other fans on the message board.

I mean I met Primal Scream walking down the street in Roppongi (true story) and we partied together and Gillespie looked like he had dropped 10 hits of acid he was so paranoid - but the guys were cool and put me on the guest list for the next night. . but I would NEVER go to Primal Scream's message board and tell everyone that.

I mean - _really_.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby moondance » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:46 pm

I DIDN'T meet Mac. If that's ok to say.
moondance

Postby Red » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:27 pm

ps -- Paul Simpson's voice is still superb, BTW!! (heard his new song on his myspace earlier today)
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby blinkilite » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:55 pm

withahip wrote:I especially hate how people on a band's message board, any band's, get excited when they get a chance to meet the band and then . . .I mean this really gets my goat. . .they tell the other fans on the message board.

what is this world coming to???

:lol: :lol: :lol:
not just another drop in the ocean
blinkilite

Postby JackT » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:12 am

You people do realize that withahip just repeated my joke, right?
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Red » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:42 am

JackT wrote:You people do realize that withahip just repeated my joke, right?

yes, Jack. :wink:

i just hayn't botherin no more.

in fact, maybe i'll start doing my stories the other way around, like Mac does........ when Will met me at Korova, he introduced me to Nick (the new drummer) as one of the band's most long time loyal fans... so now Nick has met me too! Mac hasn't had the privledge of meeting me in a few years though...prob not since 2005.
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby withahip » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:33 am

JackT wrote:You people do realize that withahip just repeated my joke, right?

Like the Japanese, mine was a copy that was better than the original.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Scouser » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:28 pm

withahip wrote:Like the Japanese, mine was a copy that was better than the original.

The only thing like the Japanese about your posts is that, like their favoured torture in WW2, reading your replies is like having bamboo shards pushed behind your fingernails.
Mr. Brian, I find that offensive.

Scouser's inability to se others' point of view is rather grating.
Scouser
Über Fan
Über Fan

Next

Return to Gods Will Be Gods