Is Morrissey racist?

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

Is Morrissey racist?

Postby Scouser » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:37 am

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/music/2007/ ... ponds.html

Read both his response and the NME response...very interesting
Mr. Brian, I find that offensive.

Scouser's inability to se others' point of view is rather grating.
Scouser
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Grumpy_Jimbo » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:58 am

It shall make an interesting court case, especially with Mozzers track record in giving evidence at a court cases... lol. One does note that mozzer seems more interested in slagging off the NME than he does commenting on his reported quotes... If the NME has the actual interview taped as they claim it looks like the lad's in trouble lol....

As for your question i dunno if he is racist but he certainly holds some iffy opinions and some of his actions have been questionable..... Like wrapping yourself round a union jack with a skinhead background sing "English for the English" being watched by a large group of skinheads.... before anyone questions me I was present at that Madness concert and remember well the shocked look from large chunks of the crowd ....

Jimbo
Grumpy_Jimbo

Postby Dave Smith » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:22 am

The sooner the old boy goes away the better.This phoney imagery he keeps up to keep a lineage with his Smiths output is pathetic.I'd rather see the Spice Girls than Morrissey in concert.
Dave Smith
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Ted » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:28 am

Morrissey is great live...hasn't made a decent record in years though....
Ted

Postby black francis » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:21 pm

I don't think Morrissey is racist at all. I think he has always held a romantic notion about England and the way things were (or at least as he remembers them). He comes to L.A. maybe hoping that some of the old Hollywood glamour remains (as evidenced by his wish in being buried at Hollywood Forever Cemetery where the old Hollywood stars are buried) and now he is off in Rome which I think he described as the most romantic place in the world.

His appreciation towards his Latino fan base would also suggest he isn't racist but in the end I guess nobody really knows.

While he hasn't put out a great album recently there have been some great songs. I think the inconsistency has to do with his collaborators. I believe the Morrissey/Boorer/White partnership has run it's course. Next up Timbaland.
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby JackT » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:39 pm

He sounds at least Nativist.
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Lancashire Fusileer » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:00 am

THis issue is not about race, its about two mutually self-regarding, (wannabe) "institutions" trying to stitch each other up for a bit of publicity... they deserve each other.

NME "oh shit, sales are falling, the mag's crap and everyone knows it, erm lets put Mozzer on the cover, that'll sell a few, and while we're about it, let's see if we can make it as controversial an article as poss. Send a naiive writer (In Jonez, a mummy's boy if ever there was one) so he becomes the tennis ball, and even if there's shit to pay we'll raise aour profile, a court case might do us a bit of good publicity wise"

Mozzer "Hmmm I'm perceived as a bit boring nowadays but the NME want to interview me, and oh look they've sent a right idiot so I'll say some stuff and then blame it on him being naiive and if they say anything back or try to stitch me up I'll throw the book at them and end up looking like a martyred Saint"

Having said that Mozzer's letter of rebuttal is a masterpiece of vainglorious spite. Wish he'd write for us.
older by the day
Lancashire Fusileer

Postby Scouser » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:32 am

He probably would...there doesnt seem to be much integrity left with "Mozzer".
Mr. Brian, I find that offensive.

Scouser's inability to se others' point of view is rather grating.
Scouser
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby JackT » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:06 am

Lancashire Fusileer wrote:

Having said that Mozzer's letter of rebuttal is a masterpiece of vainglorious spite. Wish he'd write for us.

I love the word vainglorious! Thanks for using it.
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby insanejane » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:41 pm

Dave Smith wrote:The sooner the old boy goes away the better.This phoney imagery he keeps up to keep a lineage with his Smiths output is pathetic.I'd rather see the Spice Girls than Morrissey in concert.

I CAN'T believe he played something like 10 or 12 consecutive nights in LA recently and I think ALL were sold out. :eek: :confused:

Racist? Hey, at least he's not a Nazi like Fez :wink:
insanejane

Postby black francis » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:04 pm

insanejane wrote:I CAN'T believe he played something like 10 or 12 consecutive nights in LA recently and I think ALL were sold out. :eek: :confused:

That was all my cousins buying up the tickets. Like I said I had never seen so many Mexican dudes with pompadours in my whole life before or since the Morrissey shows.
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby black francis » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:10 pm

Scouser wrote:He probably would...there doesnt seem to be much integrity left with "Mozzer".

He doesn't get any points for turning down the Smith reunion offers? Other than the constant reissues of material all his fans already own I thought his integrity was pretty much intact.
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby insanejane » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:33 pm

black francis wrote:That was all my cousins buying up the tickets. Like I said I had never seen so many Mexican dudes with pompadours in my whole life before or since the Morrissey shows.

In LA, he's right up there with Social Distortion when it comes to selling out multiple shows!
I bet those "mexican dudes with pompadours" are at those shows too. :lol:
insanejane

Postby black francis » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:54 pm

Social Distortion?

I think that's the white dudes with pompadours crowd.
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby withahip » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:01 pm

Who cares? I mean really? I just want to listen to the music.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Next

Return to Gods Will Be Gods