Morrissey to get new record label...

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

Morrissey to get new record label...

Postby Seven Seas » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:17 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7124463.stm

They had it up under top headlines...whoo.

I just wish he'd be a real man, put aside petty differences & rejoin The Smiths for a tour.
Seven Seas

Postby Scouser » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:24 am

I agree...though cant see it unless they are all really skint (a la Happy Mondays, OMD, Tears For Fears etc etc) or want make obscene ammounts of money (The Police, Led Zep)
Mr. Brian, I find that offensive.

Scouser's inability to se others' point of view is rather grating.
Scouser
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Seven Seas » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:27 am

Scouser wrote:I agree...though cant see it unless they are all really skint (a la Happy Mondays, OMD, Tears For Fears etc etc) or want make obscene ammounts of money (The Police, Led Zep)

You're right about the Police....I seen them in August for their reunion in Jersey. The $ alone they charged for H20 was crazy!!! Yet, being it was August, people did pay that $. I'm glad he didn't get all political though.

I have to ask since you brought them up though, what about Tears for Fears? Why can't they tour? I seen them for their "Everybody Loves a Happy Ending" album and I thought they sounded fantastic still. Just yesterday, as a coincidence, my Mom (whom I brought w/ to see them during that tour too, laugh all you want, she loves them) even asked me what happened to them! lol The Hurting album is still my favorite by them & always will be.
Seven Seas

Postby Grumpy_Jimbo » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:45 am

Seven seas........

You must have caught Tears For fears on a good night, I went to see the reunion tour in Glasgow and you could feel the tension and bitterness throughout the show. They did not exchange a word or even look at each other throughout the concert.

According to a lot of folk on their forum this was the same for most nights........

jimbo
Grumpy_Jimbo

Postby Scouser » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:58 am

Non Grumpy Jimbo

Thats what I heard about TFF from a mate of mine who went. I even thought the album sounded strained! Basically a whole album of Sowing The Seeds Of Love (the track).

Having said that I've got a soft spot for TFF...I played The Hurting in the car the other day. It may be lightweight pop masquerading as something intellectual - but those hooks...brilliant. I even like SFTBC.

You cant deny Roland knew his way around a tune.

Scouser
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Seven Seas » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:10 pm

How many times have you seen the band? I would've given my eye-teeth for seeing them during The Hurting....

Were you forutunate enough (both of you) to see TFF doing their Hurting years?

What do you think of Everybody Loves a Happy Ending (I love that song, Closest Thing to Heaven)?

Do you guys like their other albums? SFTBC, Elemental, Raoul & the King of Spain, Saturine Martial & Lunatic, Seeds of Love, Tears Roll Down?

On Elemental I really a lot of the tracks, I mean some of them just sound so gritty & dirty. Love it. Like on Fish out of water, Dog's a best friend's dog and Cold. Gas giants is kind of a surreal song in that, it sounds scary b/c you hear the song & almost imagine these large nuclear conductors staring down upon you.

On Seeds of Love, Year of the Knief is very danceable, doesn't it remind you too, of it almost being like C&W kind of style?

God Bless TFF!
Come on & reunite & tour...
Seven Seas

Postby Grumpy_Jimbo » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:21 pm

I first caught Tears For Fears live in Glasgow Cotton Club, a venue which at most held 300 people, in 1982. They were actually supporting the Thompson Twins, this was when they were a hippy 7 piece and good........

The wierd thing was by the time the tour hit Glasgow TFF were in the top 10 with Mad World and Thompson Twins were still unknown but headlining lol......

I caught TFF a few times but lost interest at the time of Everbody wannts To Rule The World, only went to the reunion tour for pure nostalgia .........

Jimbo
Grumpy_Jimbo

Postby moondance » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:38 pm

I only saw TFF twice and both times w/o Curt Smith. I think it was the Seeds of Love tour. I liked the early albums and Seeds of Love but couldn't stand anything that he/they did after that. Raoul and the Kings of Spain was a big disappointment.
I have the Happy Endling album but only listened once and was pretty bored. I didn't give it the attention it probably deserves.
moondance

Postby Seven Seas » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:44 pm

Since this is supposedly a Morrissey-related thread, I just have to ask this question.

In all sincerity, do you people really LIKE Morrissey (as in his solo career work) or do you like The Smiths better?

I'm going to be all honest. I really USED to like The Smiths. Now, I am over them but, I went for 3 years in a row to the Star & Garter (club on Fairfield Avenue in Manchester) for a Smiths/Morrissey music disco. The first year, I had a blast, really. Yet, the last 2 years, I felt almost morbid being there. I just felt like it was so you know, outdated but, it isn't b/c the man is still touring today. It's like weird b/c those years when I did enjoy their music, other life occurrences happened. Now, it's so "been over" if you know what I mean?
Seven Seas

Postby blinkilite » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:15 pm

Seven Seas wrote:Since this is supposedly a Morrissey-related thread, I just have to ask this question.

In all sincerity, do you people really LIKE Morrissey (as in his solo career work) or do you like The Smiths better?

I'm going to be all honest. I really USED to like The Smiths. Now, I am over them but, I went for 3 years in a row to the Star & Garter (club on Fairfield Avenue in Manchester) for a Smiths/Morrissey music disco. The first year, I had a blast, really. Yet, the last 2 years, I felt almost morbid being there. I just felt like it was so you know, outdated but, it isn't b/c the man is still touring today. It's like weird b/c those years when I did enjoy their music, other life occurrences happened. Now, it's so "been over" if you know what I mean?

well, i have been a smiths fan and a morrissey fan for a long time... but only recently did i ever get to see morrissey live. and boy can he put on a show... then again i heard from other more die-hard morrissey fans that his live shows are hit or miss, and i just lucked out and saw one of the better ones for my first morrissey live experience.

i do really like morrissey but i also like the smiths too... :smile:
blinkilite

Postby black francis » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:47 pm

I love Morrissey's Rockabilly influenced material but have found something to love in all his solo work. I think Alain White and Boz Boorer have been great collaborators for a long time but has run its course.

While I don't support a Smith's reunion I would like to see Morrissey and Marr collaborate on a new project. I think they need each other much like another duo we all love.

Does anyone else think Marr has completely pissed away his talent being a sideman in second rate bands and some pretty crappy bands of his own doing?

I've seen Morrisset live twice and bost times he was amazing. Can't take your eyes off him charisma.

I was surprised the first time to see half the crowd was Latino dudes with pompadours though.
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby Scouser » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:35 pm

Morrissey is abit of a legend - but I prefer The Smiths to be honest.

Scouser
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby crystal daze » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:08 pm

Grumpy_Jimbo wrote:I first caught Tears For Fears live in Glasgow Cotton Club, a venue which at most held 300 people, in 1982. They were actually supporting the Thompson Twins, this was when they were a hippy 7 piece and good........

The wierd thing was by the time the tour hit Glasgow TFF were in the top 10 with Mad World and Thompson Twins were still unknown but headlining lol......

Jimbo

The Thomson Twits were supporting Bowie on his tour a year later. I had the misfortune to arrive at Murrayfield during their set - a truly appalling, tuneless cacophony. I hope they didn't inflict as much pain on your ears as they did on mine.
There's times when I've been deeply indifferent
crystal daze

Postby Grumpy_Jimbo » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:31 pm

crystal daze wrote:The Thomson Twits were supporting Bowie on his tour a year later. I had the misfortune to arrive at Murrayfield during their set - a truly appalling, tuneless cacophony. I hope they didn't inflict as much pain on your ears as they did on mine.

Nah they were great, you have to remember that there was two versions of The Thompson Twins the big band who were great, but who then became a trio in 1983 and then became crap.......

I would recommend you listen to Set or the original In The Name Of Love cd's.....

Also I thought the support band for Bowie on the Let's Dance tour at Murrayfield in 1983 was Icehouse, well that's who I saw.....lol

Jimbo
Grumpy_Jimbo

Postby Scouser » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:20 am

Icehouse were ripping off Japan while Japan were still going - they didnt even have the decency to wait a few years.

Scouser
Über Fan
Über Fan

Next

Return to Gods Will Be Gods