Interpol 28 November 2007 Blackpool Empress

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

Interpol 28 November 2007 Blackpool Empress

Postby Dave Smith » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:21 am

Well just got back home.Firstly-dont expect ANYTHING to be open in Blackpool out of season.We(me +1) were in apub that caters for 1000 people and we were the only ones there.Secondly-its bloody wet and freezing.Thirdly-Interpol had sold out the 3500 capacity Ballroom but we didnt see anybody before 8.00pm.Weird.

Support-Blonde Redhead.Quality support from a trio with male/female vocals.Sounded like Kate Bush v My Bloody Valentine.Ended the show with Paul Banks and Sam Fogarino playing along.Loads aof potential
Interpol-what can I say.Fifth time I've seen them and they played brilliantly.Great mix of the three albums including Untitled,Stella,Angels,PDA,Obs 1,Narc,Evil,Pioneer,No I,Lighthouse,Mammoth,C'mere.Rest My Chemistry was a chunky masterpiece but Not Even Jail has evolved into one of the best tracks live I've ever heard.Mesmerising.

Awesome.
Dave Smith
Über Fan
Über Fan

Re: Interpol 28 November 2007 Blackpool Empress

Postby black francis » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:57 am

Dave Smith wrote: Not Even Jail has evolved into one of the best tracks live I've ever heard.Mesmerising.

Awesome.

I've been a little hard on Interpol at times but "Not Even Jail" is one of the best tracks I've ever heard by anybody.
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Re: Interpol 28 November 2007 Blackpool Empress

Postby Seven Seas » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:23 pm

Dave Smith wrote:Well just got back home.Firstly-dont expect ANYTHING to be open in Blackpool out of season.We(me +1) were in apub that caters for 1000 people and we were the only ones there.Secondly-its bloody wet and freezing.Thirdly-Interpol had sold out the 3500 capacity Ballroom but we didnt see anybody before 8.00pm.Weird.

Support-Blonde Redhead.Quality support from a trio with male/female vocals.Sounded like Kate Bush v My Bloody Valentine.Ended the show with Paul Banks and Sam Fogarino playing along.Loads aof potential
Interpol-what can I say.Fifth time I've seen them and they played brilliantly.Great mix of the three albums including Untitled,Stella,Angels,PDA,Obs 1,Narc,Evil,Pioneer,No I,Lighthouse,Mammoth,C'mere.Rest My Chemistry was a chunky masterpiece but Not Even Jail has evolved into one of the best tracks live I've ever heard.Mesmerising.

Awesome.

Glad you had a great time. They've been awesome too, at the 2 gigs I went & seen them at. Which song is your favorite?
Seven Seas

Postby Dave Smith » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:01 pm

Obstacle No 1 at a push.
Dave Smith
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby JackT » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:26 pm

Dave Smith wrote:Obstacle No 1 at a push.

My favorite Interpol track. The drums are fantastic. Bass too.

There's also some very Sergeant-esque guitar. (esp. the vamp starting at ~2:39)
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Seven Seas » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:09 pm

I'd have to say my favorite is:

Not Even Jail

NYC, makes me tear up every time (but, who wants to be sad all of the time).

Mr. Dave Smith, Did you go to the Curiosa festival? That's where I actually seen them, the first time, initially.
Seven Seas

Postby Ted » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:17 pm

NYC is my favorite, but it does not bring me to tears...Great Song!
Ted

Postby Red » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:32 pm

Ted wrote:NYC is my favorite, but it does not bring me to tears...Great Song!

my fave too! i actually left where i was standing to go buy their cd when they were playing that song live! walked up to the merch counter and said "i wanna buy whatever cd this song is on". i didn't know who they were at the time! (was before they got big!) think they were opening for Clinic when i saw them years back!! then i saw them again in London at a teenie venue. Scala, i think. bought tickets from a tout coz it was sold out. (i just happened to be over there when they were playing so i didn't even THINK to get a ticket ahead of time.) both shows were great! i haven't kept up with them tho...
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dave Smith » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:52 pm

You should.They are as good now as the Bunnymen were after Porcupine.The live shows are mega-a real tight outfit.One more classic album and the four will challenge crocs/huh/p/OR.
Dave Smith
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Red » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:02 pm

Dave Smith wrote:One more classic album and the four will challenge crocs/huh/p/OR.

really?
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby withahip » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:12 pm

Saw them at Cornell in Ithaca NY. The room was about as big as the one in the Obstacle video. There were maybe 75 people there. It was 2002, I think.

A week or two later they were on tv. Saw them a few months later at a sold out show.
Despite Carlos being the only one worth watching on stage - the sound was amazing at both shows. Still, they played the songs identical to the cds.

Do they interpret the songs any differently live now?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASwGOVv2-qU&feature=related[/youtube]
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Scouser » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:37 am

Dave Smith wrote:You should.They are as good now as the Bunnymen were after Porcupine.The live shows are mega-a real tight outfit.One more classic album and the four will challenge crocs/huh/p/OR.

Hmmmmmm - not sure about that Smiff

First album - agree, totally amazing. But are you saying Antics is on a par with HUH? No way. Plus the latest album is no Porcupine, in fact in parts it plays it abit safe, which Porcupine never did.

I agree Interpol are a quality band and I love them. But as good as the first three Buns albums? No way.

But I do agree that a great 4th album will make them the greatest band of their generation...
Mr. Brian, I find that offensive.

Scouser's inability to se others' point of view is rather grating.
Scouser
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dave Smith » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:27 am

Thats hefty praise from the fingers of Scouser!re Bunnymen-I think Crocs is overrated but being as I hadnt heard a Bunnymen track until '82 that might have something to do with it.So for first albums Interpol 1-Bunnymen nil.

Now Antics was a massive leap forward for Interpol but doesnt touch the godlike HUH agreed.Interpol 1-Bunnymen 1.

Porcupine WAS more commercial than HUH just as OLTA is.Plus a lot of Porcupine jammed on a D Chord only.OLTA has slick production and given time plenty of depth.But Porcupine had Cutter,BOL,Clay,Heads so.........a score draw.Interpol 1.5-Bunnymen 1.5.
So what next for Interpol?Hopefully an experimental classic.And then Paul Banks and the timpani player will play it at the Royal Albert in 2030 on a wave of post post post post punk nostalgia!

As the Bunnymen were the greatest post punk band of their generation,so are Interpol.
Dave Smith
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:40 pm

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bymHQ7PxWJc&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bymHQ7PxWJc&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/65Jbj_WvQmM&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/65Jbj_WvQmM&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby Scouser » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:54 pm

Funny how both Interpol and Mew are on the cusp of immortality. Both groups can nail it with the 4th album.

Will be interesting...
Mr. Brian, I find that offensive.

Scouser's inability to se others' point of view is rather grating.
Scouser
Über Fan
Über Fan

Next

Return to Gods Will Be Gods