The Machine (Pink Floyd cover band)

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

The Machine (Pink Floyd cover band)

Postby Seven Seas » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:40 am

We just went on Friday night for the 6th Black Friday in a row to see the band, The Machine. In all of those years, I'd have to say that, they were the best I've ever seen them.

Check them out if you're into Pink Floyd or cover bands.

http://www.themachinelive.com

I met them one time a few years ago & interestingly too, in my old hometown. They are the nicest, mellowest and down-to-Earth men (besides DM) that I ever met. They have a fairly big following now too.
Seven Seas

Postby Scouser » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:24 am

Its a strange thing for a post punker like me to admit...but Ive got a real soft spot for Pink Floyd. A good PF tribute band is often better than the real thing (esp the Australian Pink Floyd).

My wife cant reconcile me playing a Wire album and then following it with Animals by The Floyd. I think its my 70's Liverpool upbringing. Floyd were massive in Lpool long after the rest of the country got bored of them. In fact Love, Beefheart and The Doors were all huge here wel into the 90's...it was weird. Sometimes I used to wonder if punk had ever happened in Liverpool.

Now where is that copy of Atom Heart Mother...
Mr. Brian, I find that offensive.

Scouser's inability to se others' point of view is rather grating.
Scouser
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Seven Seas » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:36 pm

Scouser wrote:Its a strange thing for a post punker like me to admit...but Ive got a real soft spot for Pink Floyd. A good PF tribute band is often better than the real thing (esp the Australian Pink Floyd).

My wife cant reconcile me playing a Wire album and then following it with Animals by The Floyd. I think its my 70's Liverpool upbringing. Floyd were massive in Lpool long after the rest of the country got bored of them. In fact Love, Beefheart and The Doors were all huge here wel into the 90's...it was weird. Sometimes I used to wonder if punk had ever happened in Liverpool.

Now where is that copy of Atom Heart Mother...

Have you both ever seen the Australian Pink Floyd? We have yet to go, (when I mean me, I mean, dragging my best friend Pete & his infamous dates w/ me). Yet, we're going to try to see them maybe next year.

OMG, what I would've given to have grown up there & been a part of the growing music scene. My God, look at the bands from there?!

Are you into The Pistols, Buzzocks, The Stranglers, The Cramps, Slaughter and the Dogs, The Damned, Captain Beefheart? ETC? I am an old woman but, I will always go to gigs, being a sea-hag or not... Heck, it's FUN.
Seven Seas

Postby Dr Cheese » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:45 pm

I've seen the REAL Floyd four times, I have no need of tribute bands. :cool:
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Scouser » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:51 pm

See - Liverpool upbringing!

The Australian Pink Floyd are amazing - full light show, lasers, great musicians and the two singers are note perfect replicas of Gilmour and Waters.

Plus they throw in random tracks like Careful With That Axe Eugene or Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun when you least expect them. Plus they avoid anything post The Final Cut...thank god.
Mr. Brian, I find that offensive.

Scouser's inability to se others' point of view is rather grating.
Scouser
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dr Cheese » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:45 pm

I was going to see them at this years Summer Pops but I never got round to actually booking the tickets.
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Seven Seas » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:17 pm

Dr Cheese wrote:I've seen the REAL Floyd four times, I have no need of tribute bands. :cool:

Think of just how fortunate you are! :) Lucky!!!
Seven Seas

Postby Mr. Brian » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:22 pm

Dr Cheese wrote:I've seen the REAL Floyd four times

which lineups?

I don't think I could bear to see Floyd without Roger Waters present and The Wall came out when I was in high school, so they were only doing very major US cities by then.

I did go see Waters on a free ticket once a few years ago. It was funny to hear Americans sing along with "Another Brick..." with the British accent, but it really can't be sung any other way can it?
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dr Cheese » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:35 pm

admin wrote:which lineups?

I saw them do The Wall at Earls Court in 1980 and again in '81 - original lineup of course

Then I saw them on the Momentary Lapse Of Reason tour in Manchester in '88 (I think it was '88 anyway)

And then on the Division Bell tour at Earls Court in '94

I was gonna go and see Dave Gilmour in Manchester last year but I couldn't be arsed in the end. I wish I'd gone now, his new dvd is ace.
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:50 pm

Dr Cheese wrote:I saw them do The Wall at Earls Court in 1980 and again in '81 - original lineup of course

That must have been great, however, Syd Barret was in the original lineup. But it's is the lineup you saw that most people agree on as Pink Floyd. I think they were called The Pink Floyd with Barret ayway, right?
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JackT » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:09 pm

Dr Cheese wrote:I saw them do The Wall at Earls Court in 1980 and again in '81 - original lineup of course

Then I saw them on the Momentary Lapse Of Reason tour in Manchester in '88 (I think it was '88 anyway)

And then on the Division Bell tour at Earls Court in '94

I was gonna go and see Dave Gilmour in Manchester last year but I couldn't be arsed in the end. I wish I'd gone now, his new dvd is ace.

Do you remember The Blitz Dr. Cheese?
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dr Cheese » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:21 pm

JackT wrote:Do you remember The Blitz Dr. Cheese?

You cheeky get, I was 17 in 1980.
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby insanejane » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:21 pm

I saw them in Roosevelt Stadium in New Jersey in 72 or 73. I was in high school. Amazing music.Giant pig flying over the field. It was worth standing in piss up to my ankles while wearing sandals but I remember talking about this on the other forum a while ago.

Have you ever played both sides of the original "Dark Side" Lp simultaneously to the "Wizard of Oz" movie with the movie sound off? It's a known fact that they're pretty weirdly synchronized! :confused:
insanejane

Postby Red » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:42 pm

insanejane wrote:
Have you ever played both sides of the original "Dark Side" Lp simultaneously to the "Wizard of Oz" movie with the movie sound off? It's a known fact that they're pretty weirdly synchronized! :confused:

yeah, played both sides back to back to the movie...(not simultaneous tho :lol: ) ...pretty cool! weird, how it fits, but really cool!
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby insanejane » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:51 pm

Red wrote:yeah, played both sides back to back to the movie...(not simultaneous tho :lol: ) ...pretty cool! weird, how it fits, but really cool!

and there's no need for weed :wink:
insanejane

Next

Return to Gods Will Be Gods