Depressive, sad songs...

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

Postby insanejane » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:47 pm

I'm here to kill another thread! :eek:

insanejane

Postby Red » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:14 pm

love the violin!
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Seven Seas » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:59 pm

Red,

You're right. It's all I guess in the artist's interpretation and what we the listener THINK it's supposed to represent (which mostly likely is wrong).

I just know when I listen to my Sigur Ros albums, certain songs depress the heck out of me, as the ones I listed.
Seven Seas

Postby Red » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:41 pm

Seven Seas wrote:Red,

You're right. It's all I guess in the artist's interpretation and what we the listener THINK it's supposed to represent (which mostly likely is wrong).

I just know when I listen to my Sigur Ros albums, certain songs depress the heck out of me, as the ones I listed.

well, have you ever seen any of their videos??? definitely messed up! :lol: so they probably are supposed to be depressing!
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby insanejane » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:25 pm

Red wrote:love the violin!

David Lindley, incredible musician
insanejane

Postby insanejane » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:44 pm

Also, "Dream Home" by Roxy Music. I always felt sorry for him being all alone with that inflatable doll :wink:

I tried to put up a you tube 1970's video of the song but it didn't work. As usual.
insanejane

Postby Seven Seas » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:19 pm

Blue Christmas----Elvis (PERFECT)
Seven Seas

Postby Frank The Bunny » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:23 pm

insanejane wrote:I'm here to kill another thread! :eek:

Fuck Jackson Browne!
Isn't he the guy who got charged on several occasions of beating on his then-girlfriend, Daryl "should've stopped making films after 'Splash'" Hannah?
Frank The Bunny
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:29 pm

Frank The Bunny wrote:Fuck Jackson Browne!
Isn't he the guy who got charged on several occasions of beating on his then-girlfriend, Daryl "should've stopped making films after 'Splash'" Hannah?

This is the first I've heard of the incident so I found this page with info on it. Here is an excerpt

Here is a statement made by Lt. John Miehle of the Santa Monica Police Department in November 1992:"The Santa Monica Police Department went to the house where Jackson Browne lives regarding a possible disturbance. We resolved the situation in about five minutes. There was never any assault. There are no charges pending and no prosecution sought by or intended by the District Attorney. It is this department's intention that no citizen, regardless of who she is, suffer any kind of abuse, whether it be domestic violence or any other kind of assault. But in this case, absolutely no assault occurred. Our investigators tell us nothing happened. Nobody has even alleged that Daryl Hannah was even touched. If they had, we'd be investigating. We're not hiding anything. The press is trying to make more out of this than there really is, and it's unfair, not just to Browne, but to us. We did our job, and repeat, no crime occurred here. This whole thing is ridiculous."

Here is the page link.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/leslienoelani/TNI.html
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby Frank The Bunny » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:14 pm

If you'd read the piece a bit more carefully, you'd have noticed that the excerpt you posted was from a letter written by Jackson Browne himself.

Here it is, in context:

US magazine writes: (sic) "Jackson Browne asked to respond with two letters. One general response and one addressed specifically to Mr. Wexler."

"It appears that Haskell Wexler has taken exception to your having printed my assertion that much that was said about this affair in the tabloids and in the media is untrue. Particularly that the police came to our house and I sent them away without their having spoken to Daryl. Further, Fred Schruers actually checked it out with the police, and that's more than the other writers that I made the same assertion to were able to do.

Here is a statement made by Lt. John Miehle of the Santa Monica Police Department in November 1992:"The Santa Monica Police Department went to the house where Jackson Browne lives regarding a possible disturbance. We resolved the situation in about five minutes. There was never any assault. There are no charges pending and no prosecution sought by or intended by the District Attorney. It is this department's intention that no citizen, regardless of who she is, suffer any kind of abuse, whether it be domestic violence or any other kind of assault. But in this case, absolutely no assault occurred. Our investigators tell us nothing happened. Nobody has even alleged that Daryl Hannah was even touched. If they had, we'd be investigating. We're not hiding anything. The press is trying to make more out of this than there really is, and it's unfair, not just to Browne, but to us. We did our job, and repeat, no crime occurred here. This whole thing is ridiculous."

Dear Haskell, I agree that we are no longer friends. A friend would never do what you have done. You have believed the worst about me and not allowed me the opportunity to defend myself. What's more, you have participated in an attack on my reputation and character in which many untrue things have been said, some of which I think you must certainly know are untrue, and added your incorrect but very damning assumptions to them. I tried to reach you, but you would not return my call. I wish you had. It would not have been necessary to answer you publicly now.

Obviously you believe what Daryl has told you. Perhaps you think Daryl has been generous in not pressing charges of battery. But there is a very good reason she did not press charges. If there was a trial, I would be able to defend myself in court, and the police who came to the house and intervened would testify to what they saw there. By her not pressing charges, the entire description of events has taken place in the media, where anything can be said and nothing has to be proven.

Your letter states that I beat Daryl. I did not. You describe seeing her injuries. I suggest that you allow me to describe Daryl's actions to you and then judge for yourself as to how those injuries may have occurred.

I repeat: I did not beat her. I have no desire to expose Daryl to public scrutiny in this matter. I have avoided describing her actions or characterizing her behavior so far. It has been hard. I would have preferred to talk to you a year ago. Basically, I believe that Daryl has a right to the support and belief of her family and friends. However, you leave me no choice but to respond to your public accusations."
Frank The Bunny
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby JackT » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:21 pm

Daryl Hannah could kick Jackson Browne's ass.
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby insanejane » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:33 pm

I've moved onto Roxy Music and you're still discussing Jackson Browne.

Anyway, I heard she came after him with a kitchen knife. She's never been known to be mentally stable.
insanejane

Postby Frank The Bunny » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:00 pm

insanejane wrote:I've moved onto Roxy Music and you're still discussing Jackson Browne.

Ok. Fuck Bryan Ferry. He's a Nazi. But what's worse is that he had an endorsement deal with Marks & Spencer.

In March 2007, a number of newspapers reported that Bryan Ferry calls his West London studio his Führerbunker, a title associated with Hitler's headquarters. In an interview in German newspaper Welt am Sonntag, Ferry allegedly praised the Nazi regime. There was some condemnation from the Jewish community and calls for Ferry to be dropped from his contract with Marks & Spencer. Lord Janner said "Marks & Spencer should have a serious rethink about employing him. This man should stick to singing and stay away from making offensive comments of this sort. Any praise of the Nazis is not acceptable in the Jewish world."

On April 17, 2007, Ferry apologized for the offence caused by these comments, reinforcing that they "were made solely from an art history perspective" and stating that he finds "the Nazi regime, and all it stood for, evil and abhorrent". On the Swedish TV show "Stina" on April 28, 2007, Ferry denied that his studio was ever called "Führerbunker" and that his comments were never about Nazis but rather about art. He also said that he was very upset over this incident. On his personal website, Ferry made the statement

I did not describe fascism in these terms, neither ever would I, nor did I even discuss fascism in this interview-period. I have never referred to my studio as a 'fuhrer-bunker' [sic]. (...) Like all sane people, I find the politics of fascism and Nazism to be abhorrent and I deeply apologize to anyone who was unintentionally hurt by the way my comments were misrepresented in the media.

—Bryan Ferry

On May 14 it was rumoured that Ferry had been dropped by Marks and Spencer, although Marks and Spencer denied that Ferry was dropped and stated that Ferry completed his running contract, and it was normal to change model after two seasons.

On June 29, the Daily Mirror apologized for its article run on April 16 and the misquotation of Ferry it carried, stating that their claim "Mr. Ferry had been singing the praises of the Nazis [...] was not true." The apology goes on to say that the Daily Mirror "accept[s] that Mr. Ferry abhors the Nazi regime and all it stood for".
Frank The Bunny
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby insanejane » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:58 pm

I didn't know he was a Nazi, but Bryan Ferry solo (without Roxy Music) SUCKS!!
insanejane

Postby Seven Seas » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:31 am

x
Last edited by Seven Seas on Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seven Seas

PreviousNext

Return to Gods Will Be Gods