Billy Bragg

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

Billy Bragg

Postby shadows on the trees » Tue May 26, 2009 10:10 pm

I love him and he needs his own thread here.
Say no more.
shadows on the trees

Postby Mr. Brian » Tue May 26, 2009 10:18 pm

He's done some really good stuff. I really got into the Mermaid Avenue albums he and Wilco did with the unpublished Woody Guthrie songs a few years back
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Frank The Bunny » Tue May 26, 2009 10:48 pm

Saw him do a one-man-and-his-guitar thing here a few years back. Great show. Robyn Hitchcock opened for him. Also a one man thing. He needs his own thread too.
Frank The Bunny
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby shadows on the trees » Tue May 26, 2009 10:49 pm

He has never done anything that was completely awful.

I've been wondering if I'm the only person on Earth with Billy Bragg, Judas Priest, Woody Guthrie and the Velvet Underground on her iPod...
shadows on the trees

Postby shadows on the trees » Tue May 26, 2009 11:21 pm

Frank The Bunny wrote:Saw him do a one-man-and-his-guitar thing here a few years back. Great show. Robyn Hitchcock opened for him. Also a one man thing. He needs his own thread too.

FTB- start a Robyn Hitchcock thread... his music always makes me [s]happy[/s] think.
shadows on the trees

Postby black francis » Wed May 27, 2009 12:47 am

I love the song California Stars but that's all I'm aware of.
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby Mr.Sparkle » Wed May 27, 2009 3:13 am

I love Don't Try This At Home. I'm not really that familiar with some of his stuff, but that album is a good one, at first I thought it was a Best Of..., but nope.

Stay classy, Bragg.
Mr.Sparkle

Postby tonywojo » Wed May 27, 2009 3:15 am

To me Billy Bragg could never sing had his cockney charm and was too political.

But his emotion shines through.

I like Judas Priest too.
i sometimes use caps and punctuation for emphasis
tonywojo
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby withahip » Wed May 27, 2009 6:29 am

I'm hell bent for leather from time to time.
Last edited by withahip on Wed May 27, 2009 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Wed May 27, 2009 8:44 am

do like old bragg. just read andrew collins' biography (still suitable for miners). quite interesting though leans towards the overly smug in places and like most official biogs glosses over the negatives (though apparently there aren't many) and the personal relationships. Found out the reason behind the name of the first album, which i never knew and when he left Go! discs he set up a trust fund with his share of the company so that when it was eventually sold loads of the employees got a big wad of cash. nice chap. Nice to know he has his own prejudices too (apart from fascists obviously) which includes students (the whiff of the middle class - which is a bit ironic since they were his core audience in the early days, and these days i guess its former students) bowie fans and mew romantics. the saturday boy, still a bit of a classic.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby shadows on the trees » Wed May 27, 2009 9:07 am

black francis wrote:I love the song California Stars but that's all I'm aware of.

That's a Woody Guthrie song he covered- it's beautiful. I love it, too.

I haven't read the biography, but it's good to hear he's a decent guy. I always thought he was.
shadows on the trees

Postby black francis » Wed May 27, 2009 10:00 am

I read a brief article criticizing him for living in a white upper class area despite the politicism in his lyrics but that was a while ago and like I said I don't know much more than that and the one song. My understanding was California Stars (and the album Mermaid Ave) was Woody Guthrie lyrics that Billy Bragg and Wilco added the music to. Is that not correct?
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby Dave Smith » Wed May 27, 2009 10:07 am

Saw Billy in the 80's a few times when he was in his pomp.Just him and a guitar strummimg out St Swithins Day-fantastic.Then he went all 'Dylan' on us and got a band singing about Sexuality.Stick to the first three albums and eps around that time and you cant go wrong." A rugged band they called the Diggers came to show the people's will..."
Dave Smith
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby shadows on the trees » Wed May 27, 2009 10:09 am

That is correct. "Cover" wasn't the right word to use.
shadows on the trees

Postby kook » Wed May 27, 2009 10:11 am

Back t Basics and TTTTMAP ( :wink: ) are classics. He did get a bit boring after the eighties when it was all poll tax and Thatcher and anger.
Every word is like an unnecessary stain on silence and nothingness.
kook
Über Fan
Über Fan

Next

Return to Gods Will Be Gods