Billy Bragg

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

Postby withahip » Wed May 27, 2009 10:42 am

black francis wrote:I read a brief article criticizing him for living in a white upper class area despite the politicism in his lyrics

That is why I am so down on Ice Cube, Ice Tea, Snoop and Dr. Dre.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Wed May 27, 2009 10:43 am

Because they're black?
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby Kounelaki » Wed May 27, 2009 10:46 am

fat cherry wrote:(still suitable for miners)

:lol: :lol: :lol: Genius.
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Wed May 27, 2009 11:16 am

black francis wrote:I read a brief article criticizing him for living in a white upper class area despite the politicism in his lyrics but that was a while ago and

yeah that happened (moving to dorset by the sea with the missus, who incidently was the former missus of the bloke who owned Go Discs - though they are at pains to point out it was all after the fact and theres no funny stuff going on). I seems acceptesd that if you spend your career righting the world of its wrongs and generally being a bit of a lefty you are expected to spend your entire life in poverty having given all your money away (though as i mentioned he did do a bit of that). All a bit niaive I'd say, especially since most of our lefties currently in power and those on the fringe are middle class studenty types. The criticism came alot from the local tories once bill started stirring things up down at the seaside, especially when he organised a tactical voting campaign. The book has a couple of swings at other famous lefties such as Weller for leaving the political stuff behind, which seems a bit pointless really.

In addition to those three albums Smiffy mentions I'd suggest William Bloke is as good as anything he's done - full of that mixing thr political with the personal type stuff.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby shadows on the trees » Wed May 27, 2009 12:11 pm

I enjoy all of his albums. His music has changed as he's gotten older, but it seems he's stayed true to his ideals. I
shadows on the trees

Re: Billy Bragg

Postby Kounelaki » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:08 pm

How we made: Billy Bragg’s A New England
https://www.theguardian.com/culture/202 ... el-biryani

I saw two shooting stars last night
I wished on them but they were only satellites
Is it wrong to wish on space hardware
I wish, I wish, I wish you'd care
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Re: Billy Bragg

Postby fat cherry » Sun May 01, 2022 4:15 pm

Tooth and Nail, last but one album is a great album. Quite morose from start to finish, if you like that kind of thing, which I dowritten following his mother's death, though he days its not about that.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Previous

Return to Gods Will Be Gods