The Specials

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

Postby Dr Cheese » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:05 pm

zabird wrote:How so?

A bunch of old and/or chubby blokes reliving past glories, I prefer to remember them as they were.
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby zabird » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:05 pm

Dr Cheese wrote:A bunch of old and/or chubby blokes reliving past glories, I prefer to remember them as they were.

I suppose, but you could say that about a lot of bands, couldn't you? Starting with our raison d'etre -- the bunnyboys. Can't one enjoy a band as it was in its heyday, and still perhaps enjoy it in its current incarnation?

BTW, did the Specials trot out any new stuff?

And for what it's worth, I thought they looked pretty good on the Jools Holland vids I saw on the youtube. Not skinny 20-year-olds anymore, but who is? If they tour the U.S., I'd go see them.
zabird
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby tonywojo » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:07 pm

Dr Evil wrote:I reckon Mac would be a football bore. I wouldn't mind a conversation with Will about Star Trek.

I wouldnt wanna talk to either about either
i sometimes use caps and punctuation for emphasis
tonywojo
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dr Cheese » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:50 pm

zabird wrote:Can't one enjoy a band as it was in its heyday, and still perhaps enjoy it in its current incarnation?

I did enjoy them, it just felt a bit uncomfortable, maybe it's because it serves as a reminder of my own lost youth.

On a side note my missus is making noises about going to Glastonbury next year, I think she's in the first throes of a mid-life crisis.
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:46 am

I hate lost youth
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby tonywojo » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:02 pm

Dr Cheese wrote:I did enjoy them, it just felt a bit uncomfortable, maybe it's because it serves as a reminder of my own lost youth.

On a side note my missus is making noises about going to Glastonbury next year, I think she's in the first throes of a mid-life crisis.

same with mine

luckily ive had mine and wont be going
tonywojo
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:17 am

The Specials may record comeback album
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/ma ... back-album
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby DivaDiana77 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:14 am

zabird wrote:And for what it's worth, I thought they looked pretty good on the Jools Holland vids I saw on the youtube. Not skinny 20-year-olds anymore, but who is? If they tour the U.S., I'd go see them.

Zabird, they ARE touring the US! they will be at Coachella and are playing at the Nokia in LA. u out here? Look up Goldenvoice, they do a bunch of tours, The Specials being one of them.
I long for the pork of Porcupine. (A slide show dedicated mostly to Will right here.... http://www.examiner.com/rock-music-in-l ... -here-tour)
DivaDiana77
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby zabird » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:48 pm

DivaDiana77 wrote:Zabird, they ARE touring the US! they will be at Coachella and are playing at the Nokia in LA. u out here? Look up Goldenvoice, they do a bunch of tours, The Specials being one of them.

I'm going to the L.A. show. No tix still available, unless from scalpers. Sold out very quickly.
Sho 'nuff
zabird
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:29 am

Dr Cheese wrote:A bunch of old and/or chubby blokes reliving past glories

bit like their audience I expect. zabird's right on this one. Terrry Hall was the answer to a question on popmaster the other day.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Voodoo Billy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:46 am

fat cherry wrote:bit like their audience I expect. zabird's right on this one. Terrry Hall was the answer to a question on popmaster the other day.

How about a competition? Guess the question to the above answer? The prize being the rare 1987-88 Bunnymen tour programme being generously offered by Zack on the other thread.
Last edited by Voodoo Billy on Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dave Smith » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:02 am

I met Terry Hall once.He was at Mac's Mysterio tour show at Birmingham University in 1992.A right miserable fuck.It is not an act!
Dave Smith
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:25 am

you didn't ask him about the specials did you? thats always brought out the worst in him.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby tonywojo » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:37 pm

Dave Smith wrote:I met Terry Hall once.He was at Mac's Mysterio tour show at Birmingham University in 1992.A right miserable fuck.It is not an act!

two together then?
tonywojo
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dave Smith » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:57 pm

He was on his own 'Woj me old china'
Dave Smith
Über Fan
Über Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Gods Will Be Gods