The Obligatory Depeche Mode thread

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

Postby Frank The Bunny » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:10 pm

withahip wrote:So I just googled Simenon's name and every single site has "This site may harm your computer."
Turns out Google had some problems today:

Google users get bogus warning on site searches

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. (AP) — Computer users doing Google searches during a nearly one-hour period Saturday morning were greeted with disturbing but erroneous messages that every site turned up in the results might be harmful.

The company blamed the mistake on human error and apologized for any inconvenience caused to users and site owners whose pages were incorrectly labeled.

The glitch occurred between 9:30 a.m. EST and 10:25 a.m. EST, Google Inc. said in an explanation on its company blog. Anyone who did a Google search during that time likely saw the message "This site may harm your computer" accompanying every search result, the company said.

Google said it routinely flags any search results with that message if the site is known to install malicious software in the background or otherwise surreptitiously, a practice aimed at protecting its users. Google said it maintains a list of suspicious sites based on criteria developed with StopBadware.org, a nonprofit project headed by legal scholars at Harvard and Oxford universities who research consumer complaints.

Saturday's error happened when Google erroneously applied one of its periodic list updates in such a way that the warning would apply to all URLs, the company said in a statement.

The glitch was caught by on-call staff and the file was quickly fixed, Google said. Since the updates are applied in a staggered and rolling fashion, the errors began appearing at 9:27 a.m. EST and disappeared no later than 10:25 a.m. EST, with the duration for any particular user approximately 40 minutes, it said.

"We will carefully investigate this incident and put more robust file checks in to prevent it from happening again," said Marissa Mayer, vice president of search products and user experience, in the statement.
Frank The Bunny
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Scouser » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:42 am

black francis wrote:DM's b-sides have been consistently great. I think Sea of Sin and Happiest Girl are total A-material.

DM's B sides are nearly always fantastic. Those two you mention are particularily good (esp Sea Of Sin which should have been on Violator instead of Sweetest Perfection). But we are pretty much spoilt for choice with great b sides -

Ice Machine
Shout
Fools
Work Hard
In Your Memory (Alan Wilders greatest moment and wasted as a mere b side!)
Flexible
Set Me Free (Remotivate Me)
But Not Tonight
Deaths Door
Surrender
My Joy
Free
Better Days
Newborn

You can tell Martin was struggling to write during Exciter as most of the b sides are remixes. However the Playing The Angel singles all have fantastic b sides. As there have been 20 tracks recorded for ...Universe Id wager we are in for some quality b sides and the odd EP.

Happy days!
Mr. Brian, I find that offensive.

Scouser's inability to se others' point of view is rather grating.
Scouser
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Scouser » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:14 pm

In a world exclusive TV premiere, the legendary British band will be introducing "Wrong", the debut single from the forthcoming "Sounds Of The Universe", at the 2009 Echo Awards in Berlin, Germany.

"Since the 80's Depeche Mode have been setting trends and creative courses in pop music, and seemingly effortlessly, but always with great sincerity, spanning the past and the future of pop music." explains Prof. Dieter Gorny, Chairman of Deutsche Phono-Akademie, the cultural institute of Bundesverband Musikindustrie e.V.. "It is a big honour for us that the band is presenting their first song of their highly anticipated new album world exclusively at the Echo Award Show." The Award show, produced by MME, will be hosted by Barbara Schöneberger and Oliver Pocher.

German national public TV station Das Erste (ARD) will broadcast the ECHO 2009 on the 21st February from 8:15 pm.

Other artists appearing at the award show will Amy McDonald, Katy Perry and U2.

Scouser
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby withahip » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:46 pm

Frank The Bunny wrote:Turns out Google had some problems today:

Google users get bogus warning on site searches

See
Crystal Daze post.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Frank The Bunny » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:02 pm

withahip wrote:See
Crystal Daze post.
Yeah. It wasn't so much a post as it was a link.
Generally don't read those
Frank The Bunny
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby withahip » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:35 pm

Frank The Bunny wrote:Yeah. It wasn't so much a post as it was a link.
Generally don't read those

Cuz yer lame.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Frank The Bunny » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:05 pm

withahip wrote:Cuz yer lame.
Ready?

Wait for it

Here it comes

Your mom's lame
Frank The Bunny
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby withahip » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:43 pm

Ow- man no need to be so harsh.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Scouser » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:42 am

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6CQktcCqvVI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6CQktcCqvVI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

Scouser
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby kook » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:08 pm

:biggrin:

Thanks
Every word is like an unnecessary stain on silence and nothingness.
kook
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby withahip » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:11 pm

I like how the songs they make come from chicken picking like that.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Scouser » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:34 pm

"Wrong", the first single from Depeche Mode's twelfth studio album "Sounds Of The Universe", will be released on April 6th, 2009 (April 7th in North America).

The world premiere of "Wrong" will be on the Echo Awards television show in Germany on February 21st. The rest of the universe will get to hear "Wrong" on the radio, starting February 23rd.

Scouser
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby withahip » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:30 pm

In a bit of trivia and a chance to tell everyone I´ve been here, (I know :rolleyes: ) I saw in an Argentinian paper yesterday that they are to play Argentina for the first time in 14 years to support the new album.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:29 pm

What about Japan? Any news?
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby kook » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:55 pm

black francis wrote:What about Japan? Any news?

David Sylvian tours with a small band - at times with Steve Jansen on drums.
Last album was excellent as was live show.
Every word is like an unnecessary stain on silence and nothingness.
kook
Über Fan
Über Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Gods Will Be Gods