2008-the dumbing down of indie?

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

Postby Scouser » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:51 am

I think its time for Prog Rock to make a comeback...
Mr. Brian, I find that offensive.

Scouser's inability to se others' point of view is rather grating.
Scouser
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Frank The Bunny » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:05 am

Scouser wrote:I think its time for Fraggle Rock to make a comeback...

Frank The Bunny
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dr Cheese » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:14 am

Scouser wrote:I think Mansun are fantastic - Six is in my top 10 albums of all time...

Six is absolutely bonkers - I love it.
And you know that I'll pick up
Every time you call
Just to thank you one more time
Alcohol
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Scouser » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:28 pm

Its a shame they played it safe with the follow up Little Kix

By the way...for some of us Fraggle Rock never went away!

Scouser
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby guitarplayer on here too » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:00 pm

fat cherry wrote:GPOHT, if jarvis thought this is hardcore was what the kids wanted to hear then he must have been having bigger troubles than were reported at the time. I still think he's the best songwriter of that period.

Oh I totally agree he was the best songwriter at that time. I'd still go that Pulp were one of the best bands at that time. The Sisters EP (re-release of Babies) particularly is probably one of best vinyls that I still own.

By the time Pulp got to This Is Hardcore, Cocker had turned himself into a celebrity clown, not a serious musician. Silly dancing complete with kicking Michael Jackson up the arse. The lyrics and song titles only seemed to reinforce that. I know that sex sells, but it seems that he was pushing it as far as he could by the time that album came out. I think one of the demos for This Is Hardcore was called "My Erection" where he sang about using it (his erection) to find his way when lost. That was the general naffness of Britpop by about that time, it was all turning into a musical comedy. Pulp's last album, We Love Life, seemed to go back towards more serious music, but even Cocker realised that he had to shake the whole Pulp thing to be taken seriously musically again and go solo. Same with Damon Albarn moving onto his Gorillaz project. Interesting to see Blur's bassist actually went on to buy a farm and physically make cheese (rather than just producing it musically).

Mansun were another good band. Saw them live a number of times up until about 1998.
guitarplayer on here too

Postby Scouser » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:11 pm

Am I the only person who thinks This Is Hardcore is a work of absolute genius?

Scouser
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Scouser wrote:Am I the only person who thinks This Is Hardcore is a work of absolute genius?

No. I love the title track.
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:35 pm

Not the only one.

One of the greatest albums ever and Pulp's masterpiece. It's easier to see now but the previous albums were Cocker's hopes and desire to become famous, notorious, etc. Different Class is the culmination of everything he sought, then This Is Hardcore is the realization it wasn't what he hoped it to be. It's perfect.
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby Dave Smith » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:41 pm

Scouser wrote:Am I the only person who thinks This Is Hardcore is a work of absolute genius?

You know you're not Mr R.This is Hardcore is one of the albums of the 90's.Superb from start to finish.

Mansun were a better singles band.Placebo the same but both knock seven shades out of the current crop of garbage.
Dave Smith
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dave Smith » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:43 pm

Dave Smith wrote:You know you're not Mr R.This is Hardcore is one of the albums of the 90's.Superb from start to finish.

Mansun were a better singles band.With personal bodyguards.Placebo the same but both knock seven shades out of the current crop of garbage.
Dave Smith
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dave Smith » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:44 pm

guitarplayer on here too wrote:
Mansun were another good band. Saw them live a number of times up until about 1998.

where did you see them in 98?
Dave Smith
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:39 pm

Dave Smith wrote:You know you're not Mr R.This is Hardcore is one of the albums of the 90's.Superb from start to finish.

It's still nice to get validation from your peers every now and then. When I start feeling that way I'm gonna ask if I'm the only one who thinks "Porcupine" is great.

I thought "Jarvis" was pretty bad ass. Any takers?
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby guitarplayer on here too » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:41 pm

Dave Smith wrote:where did you see them in 98?

Aberystywth University. I think it was 98 or 97.

I'm afraid though that This Is Hardcore didn't really do much for me. Title track was great, but it remains His 'n' Hers complete with Russell Senior's violins and mad stare. :eek:
guitarplayer on here too

Postby black francis » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:10 pm

guitarplayer on here too wrote:Aberystywth University. I think it was 98 or 97.

I'm afraid though that This Is Hardcore didn't really do much for me. Title track was great, but it remains His 'n' Hers complete with Russell Senior's violins and mad stare. :eek:

"Have You Seen Her Lately" is possibly my favorite Pulp track. One thing I like about of Cocker's songs the theme get away from that loser even though he never puts himself as the answer or even that he's any different or better than the guy.
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby Scouser » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:08 am

Dave Smith wrote:where did you see them in 98?

Stop fishing for a line so you can reply "my band supported them you know" :wink:

Plus I totally deny Mansun were a singles band as the first two albums (and alot of Kleptomania) are superb.

So there.

Scouser
Über Fan
Über Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Gods Will Be Gods