Coldplay's new album

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

Postby guitarplayer on here too » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:15 pm

withahip wrote:You got to spell it out - I have been a European football fan for 48 hours - are the Germans pouters when it comes to penalties?

They used to. Who remembers Andreas Möller, Germany v England penalty shootout Euro 1996? I still have nightmares about that night with Möller's pouting, prancing and mullet haircut as well as bloody Southgate's missed penalty.

guitarplayer on here too

Postby withahip » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:34 pm

I like my American football and hockey and lacrosse - but since getting into soccer my first year in Japan when it and sumo were the only things on the tv I could understand I find when I take the time to watch I really enjoy the games. . . I really wish we had a North/South America competition folks really followed - soccer is much like American baseball in the patience the game takes to watch and the burst of enthusiasm when there is a score - and these dramas on and off the field you all speak of is cool -

believe it or not there are A LOT of kids growing up playing soccer here in the U.S.

We recently saw British Sea Power and they did their recent song about a smalltown team (something else interesting is the passion for the various levels of play) - If a band from Buffalo made a song called "Wide Right" about the Bills' loss in their first super bowl people would think it the dumbest thing on the face of the earth - but it seems to be a staple for so many UK bands to have a song about futbol or putting a player on the cover (thinking of the Wedding Present).

I am rambling cuz I have a cold and am avoiding a report I need to finish.
By the way - hope you europeans don't mind me calling it soccer- I feel like a bit of a poser calling it football.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Fish Hook Girl » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:37 pm

You can't make me watch soccer. You can't make me use the metric system.

So there.
Fish Hook Girl

Postby withahip » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:43 pm

Fish Hook Girl wrote:You can't make me watch soccer. You can't make me use the metric system.

So there.

But the metric system makes gas cheaper. Here the gas price are 4.25. In Canada they are half that!
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:21 am

guitarplayer on here too wrote:They used to. Who remembers Andreas Möller, Germany v England penalty shootout Euro 1996? I still have nightmares about that night with Möller's pouting, prancing and mullet haircut as well as bloody Southgate's missed penalty.

I do. Southgate's missed penalty anyway.

PS Germany vs Portugal in the quarter finals today, Uncle Hip.
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:26 am

Fish Hook Girl wrote:You can't make me watch soccer. You can't make me use the metric system.

So there.

Thanks for sharing.
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby tonywojo » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:19 am

Kounelaki wrote:Thanks for sharing.

Goalkeeper, gatekeeper, innkeeper.

Footie.
i sometimes use caps and punctuation for emphasis
tonywojo
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby tonywojo » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:20 am

tonywojo wrote:Goalkeeper, gatekeeper, innkeeper.

Footie.

Yay, I want to be a demiuber now.
tonywojo
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby withahip » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:17 am

Kounelaki wrote:I do. Southgate's missed penalty anyway.

PS Germany vs Portugal in the quarter finals today, Uncle Hip.

Thanks for giving this neophyte a heads up.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby tonywojo » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:37 am

withahip wrote:Thanks for giving this neophyte a heads up.

neophyte?
tonywojo
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:19 am

was on the telly last night

C.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby withahip » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:24 pm

I had to stop after 30 seconds lest the image of Martin on stage would forever ruin the enjoyment I get from that song. A band better heard and not seen.

Small crowd, wasn't it?
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:53 pm

withahip wrote:I had to stop after 30 seconds lest the image of Martin on stage would forever ruin the enjoyment I get from that song. A band better heard and not seen.

Small crowd, wasn't it?

you didn't watch all five parts then? Yes v small. just a BBC special with invited audience.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby withahip » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:28 pm

fat cherry wrote:you didn't watch all five parts then? Yes v small. just a BBC special with invited audience.

No. I like the new cd but am not a big Coldplay fan. Actually, I never bought anything by them before. I saw a Coldplay concert on tv a few years ago. The entire show Chris Martin duck/squat walked around the stage for seemed like six songs. It was so painfully corny that it took years before I was able to give the band a second chance. Having shelled actual money for this cd, I fear going through the same gag reflex to their music if I allow visions of Martin in concert to be implanted in my mind's eye.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby insanejane » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:46 pm

withahip wrote:No. I like the new cd but am not a big Coldplay fan. Actually, I never bought anything by them before. I saw a Coldplay concert on tv a few years ago. The entire show Chris Martin duck/squat walked around the stage for seemed like six songs. It was so painfully corny that it took years before I was able to give the band a second chance. Having shelled actual money for this cd, I fear going through the same gag reflex to their music if I allow visions of Martin in concert to be implanted in my mind's eye.

Is that "duck/squat" walk on video? Gwyneth must have liked it! Maybe he does it around the house too. :confused:

Poor Coldplay :lol: If they ever come on here, they'll think (at first) that there's 8 pages on the forum devoted to their new release!
insanejane

PreviousNext

Return to Gods Will Be Gods