Teardrops...... in the dad mags

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

Teardrops...... in the dad mags

Postby fat cherry » Wed May 17, 2023 11:52 am

Both Uncut and Mojo have teardrops reviews and articles for a box set type retrp collection coming out. Can't remember which is which..... one has an interview with cope, tyhe other one of those vox pops type things with all sorts of contributors, Mick Houghton, Balfe, Troy Tate etc - so may be new interviews or nabbed from wherever. Both kind of interesting - in that its amusing enough though we've heard it all before. The interview is a 'rare one' and he didn't want to talk about the box set because he hasn't had anything to do with it but was happy to talk about the eric's days. So all the usual stuff - though it is quite funny in places. Still got a hard on for Mac who is presented as a bit dim, says Les was cool until the bunnymen dragged him down, and he did like the bunnymen until they became mac's backing band. Though apparently Pete Burns, Holly Johnson and even Wylie were revolutionaries? Stuff about him (cope) not being a revolutionary but still being a rebel - and this is the bit where you know, is he being funny, because you know, he isn't and hasn't been either, but anyway. Its cope. Dunno what s in the tea at Mojo (or is it Uncut) but everything gets an 8/10 review. I think every time these mags have an article on the Beatles or the Stones they opught to knock a couple of quid off.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Re: Teardrops...... in the dad mags

Postby TenNewPence » Fri May 19, 2023 1:56 pm

Mojo had the vox pop
Hope this helps
TenNewPence

Postby fat cherry » Fri May 19, 2023 3:03 pm

It adds a certain clarity my own noodling lacked. Thankyou.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby The Monro » Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:07 am

My box sets arrived today but haven’t had chance to open them yet. There’s a review of sorts on the SDE homepage:

http://superdeluxeedition.com/reviews/t ... 1978-82-2/

Louder Than War feature:

https://louderthanwar.com/the-teardrop- ... um-review/

And they also feature on the cover of the latest issue of Shindig! magazine:

https://www.silverbackpublishing.rocks/ ... june-2023/

I’m not sure about Cope not being involved in the box set release as some of the tapes allegedly came from him.
The Monro

Postby fat cherry » Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:42 pm

Sign of getting old, not immediately opening your new treasures and playing them non stop for days. Or having an other half who prefers watching Mastercard I spose.

I read the 'not being involved' just as not curating, or whatever that means. Though I don't doubt he's not above a bit of myth making. Have fun with your box set!
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby The Monro » Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:15 pm

fat cherry wrote:Sign of getting old, not immediately opening your new treasures and playing them non stop for days. Or having an other half who prefers watching Mastercard I spose.

It’s precisely because of the other half that I haven’t opened them yet. Thank god she was out when they were delivered.

"Where did you get those from and how much did they cost?"

"Er, well….."

The Quietus review:

http://thequietus.com/articles/33003-th ... set-review
The Monro

Postby fat cherry » Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:28 pm

Lol. Just noticed autospell changed masterchef to card. Apparently AI is going to end the world. Also fortunately Mrs fc is the one likely to come home having spent an inordinate amount on a tiny piece of jewellery or a painting so if I dither about buying something I don't really need I get something along the lines of, well you might be dead tomorrow. She's a keeper. As I'm sure Mrs Monro is too.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby TenNewPence » Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:48 am

The Monro wrote:
fat cherry wrote:Sign of getting old, not immediately opening your new treasures and playing them non stop for days. Or having an other half who prefers watching Mastercard I spose.

It’s precisely because of the other half that I haven’t opened them yet. Thank god she was out when they were delivered.

"Where did you get those from and how much did they cost?"

"Er, well….."

The Quietus review:

http://thequietus.com/articles/33003-th ... set-review

I answer the door and say it's only some cold caller. Then shuffle the box into the lounge for looking at when she takes the dog for a walk. Hope this works when the Talking Heads Stop Making Sense vinyl arrives in August
TenNewPence

Postby The Monro » Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:34 am

I can sometimes get away with that with the odd album here and there (usually have a decoy parcel containing bin bags or something else non-perishable on standby as well, so I can do the old switcheroo) but there was no way I was going to be able to smuggle in two huge box sets.
The Monro

Return to Gods Will Be Gods