Rick Astley - yes indeed

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

Rick Astley - yes indeed

Postby fat cherry » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:59 pm

My mate sent me this, saying he was thinking about going, or he would be if he wasn't on hols at the time. Rick and Blossoms do the smiths. Make of it what you will.

fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Re: Rick Astley - yes indeed

Postby MightyWhyte » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:16 am

I'm all for a bit of sing song and have seen a couple of really good tribute bands. Each to their own but maybe I'll give this one a miss :biggrin:
BunnyGod Pin needed :sad:
MightyWhyte

Postby fat cherry » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:38 am

If it was nearer I might go but I'm kind of with you MW. Thing is with tribute bands, unless its their first gig and other people are going, it probably means they're quite good - I imagine shite ones don't get past a few before they're out on their arse - or so I imagine anyway.

Fun story - the bloke who put me onto that - well his daughter married the son of a record producer, soz can't remember his name, but think 80s. Anyways so he's always meeting celebs when they get invited to parties and suchlike. But the actual fun fact is that rick and his band were the wedding band!!!!! Mine own daughter is getting spliced next year and I've already apologised that we can't go the full rick on the band, so disco time it is.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:44 pm

:lol: Are you rick-rolling us, FC?
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:39 pm

Nope, crazy huh. I'm only a degree and a half of separation from the mighty rick. I'm not sure they're actually mates as such, more the in-laws. So maybe 2.5 degrees, I don't really know how that works.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:16 pm

:lol: Congratulations to your daughter by the way. And thanks for the vid, which made me smile. Thank Rick for me. Is he out of the clutches of SAW?
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby crystal daze » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:03 pm

Kounelaki wrote::lol: Are you rick-rolling us, FC?

I was actually victim to one of the earliest Rick-rollings (if that's a word) long before it even had a name. It was so early I was Rick-rolled in analogue!

Among my birthday presents in 1987 was a 12" square package. I was expecting it to be some cool and groovy, or dark and brooding, LP suitable for the young gothess about town. Turned out to be a joke pressie containing the now ubiquitous Never Gonna Give You Up. The 'friend' who gave me it did give me a real pressie too - although I can't remember what that was. :lol:
There's times when I've been deeply indifferent
crystal daze

Postby Kounelaki » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:50 am

:lol:
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:31 am

Rick Astley on his Smiths covers gigs: ‘I’ll use a karaoke machine if I have to’
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/ ... -i-have-to
Turns out we’ve both read the same thread, so we pull out our phones to compare favourite tweets.

“Has someone been stealing ideas from Alan Partridge?”

“What’s next? Marti Pellow and McFly perform the songs of NWA?”

“Shakin’ Stevens and the Charlatans perform the songs of the Fall?”

Even Johnny Marr has waded in. “This is both funny and horrible and at the same time,” the guitarist tweeted.
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Return to Gods Will Be Gods