The Obligatory Contented of Hove Thread

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

Re: The Obligatory Contented of Hove Thread

Postby fat cherry » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:41 am

On the bright side of christmas, my bro bought me this, makes a change from the usual tat,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nick-Cave-Merc ... =Nick+Cave
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:52 pm

fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:54 pm

from the NC&bad seeds page you get this link (maybe - if you're lucky)

http://distantskyfilm.com/?campaign=NCsite
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:08 am

fat cherry wrote:from the NC&bad seeds page you get this link (maybe - if you're lucky)

Links to Paris cinema times for me. Nifty.
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:35 am

fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:32 am

The latest Q mag over here is quite good. Instead of the usual nostalgia bollocks (beatles, stones, clapton, u2 etc) its the usual nostalgia as told by photographers. So in addition to a handful of features on specific photographers - Kevin Cummins., Tom Sheehan, Pennie Smith etc, theres loads of generallt great piccies and a short piece by whoever took em.

There's this by David Tonge by what looks like a set of contacts (or maybe video stills - obviously doesn't have the set-up shots he talks about in the piece.

David Tonge wrote:I'd been commissioned by Mute Records to shoot the cover for Nick Cave and PJ Harvey's single Henry Lee.Having photographed Cave on a number of occasions I was really nervous. The first time I met him he'd caught me by suprise, on a video shoot. I'd arrived at the studio, and sensed an unusually high-octane atmosphere, people running about, grabbing each other as if looking for something. Out of the shadows, a figure all dressed in black, with an aggressive swagger, barges past me. It's Nick Cave. I follow and try to introduce myself, he turns his head and holds my gaze long enough to halt me in my stride. I blink, he's gone.
Then out of the darkness comes a deep howl, followed by a shout of "Who brought them the fucking smack?"
A door at my side bursts open and a large man on all fours charges out, barking like a dog and runs, still on all fours, to the exit. There's more commotion, more people steam out. The young director is visibly shocked, as am I. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds have left the building.
So here I was again. It's dark. I've got a feeling of deja vu. The Bad Seeds aren't here, I'm told as I sheepishly approach the dark lord. He agrees to do some set-up shots. Some people struggle in front of the camera; Nick Cave doesn't. His presence oozes onto the film. The first couple of frames and I know I've got enough already, but I plough on, despite my unease at having to look him in the eye for such an extended period, roughly four minutes.
Just as we finish up PJ Harvey appears. Nick Cave stiffens [oo er missus] and idles on over, and he's either casting a spell or one is being cast, it's hard to tell. The two are called to set and start their performance. Theres more than just a spark, the room is electric.
"OK cut for lunch!" shouts the director. Of run Nick and PJ, out of the door, they're gone. Half an hour later they return, loooking like they've done a couple of rounds in a haystack and finish the shoot. The atmosphere remains intense throughout - real Gone With The Wind stuff.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:10 am

Kylie on Nick:

Which brings us to Kylie’s most hope-for-the-best move of all, the point at which two entirely unrelated sets of fans said of their favourite artist: “They’re working with who?” Kylie laughs, again, hard. “I KNOW!” She had first heard of Nick Cave a few years earlier, when she was dating Hutchence. “Michael said to me: ‘My friend Nick wants to do a song with you,’” she recalls. “I didn’t know who Nick Cave was. And I just said: ‘Oh, that’s nice,’ like your nan would say: ‘Oh that’s nice, dear, do you want a cup of tea?’”

By 1996, though, the pair were sharing an Australian label. Cave was working on his album Murder Ballads and Kylie was asked if she would like to contribute. A CD of the track – featuring Blixa Bargeld singing her lines – was sent to her parents’ house, where she was staying, and a game of phone tag ensued. Cave was also at his parents’, so the prince of darkness and the queen of sunshine were busy leaving messages with each other’s mums. “The first time I met Nick was at the recording studio in Melbourne,” she says. “I speed-read a biography to understand him a little bit. And there was some interesting stuff in there. But everything I did with him was just so tender and epic and close. He’s so amazing and loving, and it’s one of my favourite things I’ve ever done.”

You might have thought that the dalliance with Cave would have contributed to Kylie’s decision to “go indie”, recording with the Manic Street Preachers on 1997’s Impossible Princess album, but she says not. “Nick didn’t like my indie jaunt. He said: ‘Why aren’t you doing pop songs?’ So, he’s responsible for my realisation that I wanted to get back to pop. He’s definitely infiltrated my life in beautiful and profound ways.”
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:59 am

fat cherry wrote:from the NC&bad seeds page you get this link (maybe - if you're lucky)

COmpletely forgot aboiut this - anyone go?
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:28 am

Just reaffirming this thread is nothing more than a second rate Depeche Mode thread. Carry on.
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby fat cherry » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:04 am

black francis wrote:Just reaffirming this thread is nothing more than a second rate Depeche Mode thread. Carry on.

And we are proud of such accolades.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Tue May 08, 2018 4:48 pm

fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Voodoo Billy » Wed May 09, 2018 10:45 am

fat cherry wrote:
black francis wrote:Just reaffirming this thread is nothing more than a second rate Depeche Mode thread. Carry on.

And we are proud of such accolades.

I have no idea why I keep clicking on this thread, I mean, I don't even support Brighton, :confused:
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:56 am

On my jollies in Turkey at the mo lying by a pool looking at the internet, as you do, but had a couple of days in Istanbul last week. One of the first things i saw was a poster for old nick headlining soe festival there in july. Bad holiday planning or what? I know, pointless post merely extending our lead over depeche ode.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby crystal daze » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:36 am

Thanks for keeping up the good work F.C. I just had to add to the post tally over there, so I'm glad you are keeping things going this side.
Enjoy your hols. :biggrin:
There's times when I've been deeply indifferent
crystal daze

PreviousNext

Return to Gods Will Be Gods